Game Pass 2011 - UK Blackouts - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL TV coverage

Sponsored Links

Old 07.08.2011, 08:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesp View Post
Access of the Season subscription is generally through the Friday prior to the Saturday Postseason Wild Card game. However, Season subscription access will be extended a few days to account for the blackout in the UK.
So if the first wild card game will be Saturday 01/07 are we looking at it being extended to that day which would cover the 6 day legal requirement or is it more likely the Season Subscription will only be extended to the friday
Sponsored Links
Old 07.08.2011, 01:27 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Only viewing in the UK is subject to blackouts, regardless of where you originally purchased.
This continuing attitude by the GamePass providers and Sky is very suprising seeing as we are all in a Single European Market.

The Karen Murphy Case (google it) is about to shatter all of these convenient arrangements.

I hope the fine is as large as the arrogance shown to NFL fans in the UK.
Old 07.08.2011, 01:52 PM
Banned

Sky is dead, there are far cheaper ways to watch the NFL(live) nowadays.
Problem is I cant mention them here or i get banned
Old 07.08.2011, 02:10 PM
Pro

Quote:
This was already answered, see original post.
I will have to assume that you mean that subscriptions don't restrict where in the world you choose to watch it.

As for Karen Murphy, it has to be said, the UK pubs have had a rough ride in that regard, compounds by the changes in smoking laws and super market alcohol prices.
Not sure if her case will change this situation though.
I am watching to see what will happen with F1. As for the first time, it is no longer going to be entirely on terrestrial TV.
Respect to ESPN and Channel 4 for not imposing on GamePass, what Sky Sports is.

It is funny really, as GamePass was going to be the answer to NFL fans in the UK prays. Sky's coverage was declining and now we could actually watch all of our teams games. Yet the blackouts and redzone is Sky's way of saying: If we can't have your money, we are going to ruin it for all of you!

And I guess that is my related question. Although nothing in contracts has changed from last year to this, why the decision to honour it more all of a sudden? Considering you knew the response would be negative, why the sudden desire to honour such things where as this gusto for obligations wasn't present before? Something obviously happen and I am curious as to what.
Old 07.08.2011, 02:19 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by vann_mcelroy View Post
Sky is dead, there are far cheaper ways to watch the NFL(live) nowadays.
Problem is I cant mention them here or i get banned
It is not so much that. Yes there are, but we were presented with a product, which we could pay for, which gave us all that we desired.
Most NFL fans appreciate the fact that such things have to be a viable business model, that money has to be spent. Since we aren't in the US, we most likely aren't going to get the Satellite/Cable bandwidth for games that the US gets. e.g. the ability to watch any game as part of your subscription package.

I am happy to spend money on a legit product. I will do so. It is just funny that I am forced to find other sources for games Sky has blacked out. Neither Sky or NFL are winning any friends over this sham.

Bit like NFL being the beacon of parity and competitiveness in sports, yet sign a 10 year exclusive deal with EA sport, thus destroy any competition in that market and leaving the lesser product as the only product available. Again, a loss for the fans.

Watching football should be way simpler than this. Pay money, watch football. Alas, this is not the case.
Old 07.08.2011, 02:25 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokubetsu View Post
the UK pubs have had a rough ride in that regard
Got to agree, but its nice to see advertised 3pm EPL Packages being freely advertised, and taken up by UK Pubs, more power to them.

Rupert must think the whole world is against him,

Nah,

Just Europe
Old 07.08.2011, 02:45 PM
Starter

Come on Alistair Kirkwood....man up and come on here and address the genuine grievances of the UK NFL fans
Old 07.08.2011, 03:26 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokubetsu View Post
Watching football should be way simpler than this. Pay money, watch football.
Pay for Phone Line Rental, and Broadband Subscription.

Buy PC and Pay for Windows License.

Pay for GamePass Subscription, and so long as Sky dont choose that Game, watch your team.

I wonder if you have a "Single Team" Subscription, does GamePass refund you any money if Sky blackout that Game, it would be a **** poor week if they didn`t.
Old 07.08.2011, 03:30 PM
Pro

Thought a bit more on the Karen Murphy case. I think you could apply the fact that although we may not be paying more than the rest of the EU, we are paying the same amount for a less product.
Bit like paying the same amount for a painting, except the on you got, because you live in the UK, has holes in it and the painter ran out of red.
So it could be applied in that regard.

Where it might fall down though, is the fact that this is an internet service and they run a whole different set of laws.
Sky has issues with broadcasting Total Access due to all the product sponsorship within the show. I am guessing the ones they do show, someone has spent time editing it all out. In contrast, since GamePass is an online service, they operate under different laws and thus we get Total Access untouched along with all the US adverts during games.
So in the end, the Karen Murphey case may not have the scope to deal with the internet services.

As for the price being different in various parts of the world. That is more of a tricky one. e.g. if the country is poorer, then fair enough, but you can't really apply that to somewhere like Australia which has a similar HDI and GINI to the UK. The only thing I can guess at is the time zone issue. e.g. the first Sunday game is 3am in some parts of Oz (That is for Sydney). So the "Live" appeal may be reduced.

If we could get a fixed price and level of service across the EU, that would be a bonus and take away a little from the monopoly that Sky has.
Old 07.08.2011, 04:04 PM
Starter

Is Gamepass available to purchase in the US?

I ask because as a UK subscriber, I will be in the US for a 2 week vacation in Novemeber, so I wanted to make sure that I can use my Gamepass account without any problems whilst I am over there.

I know you said it is not a question of where you purchase your subscription, but a question of where you watch it, but I wondered, if Gamepass isn't available to purchase in the US, what would happen if I try to watch it in a country that Gamepass isn't available for purchase?

Kevin.

Tags
black out , blackout , blackouts , game pass , gamepass