Da Bears - Monsters of the Midway Thread - Page 10 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 25.10.2004, 12:54 PM
All Pro

Default Re:Da Bears - The Monsters of Midway Thread

[quote author=AdiBear link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=75#msg118263 date=1098665782]
[quote author=Stake link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=75#msg118252 date=1098662242]
We're a poor team right now for all the reasons outlined above and more. If we win 3 more games this year, it'll be an acheivement.
[/quote]

you know it seems to me as 'new coach same sh#t".Coach Smith keeps going on about the system and how hard it is to get into,so why are we doing it ,its obvious that it isnt working with the players we have.I too say fire Quinn as soon as posseble the guy is a joke.
I cant see us winning agenst the 49ers next week so I'm looing at a 1-15 season from now on,you can tell me the system works when we win at least two games in a row.......even when we had Rex Grossman we still lossed to Detroit .... at home.... >
[/quote]

Yep. Coach Smith and his coordinators are three rookies and they may need this experience to learn a little about stepping up the chain of coaching command. We may look back at this time in a couple of years and say "remember when Lovie was 1-5? Wow, we thought we'd never win the superbowl!...." That's best case scenario though.
The Mcaskeys believe in hiring young coaches(read: cheap coaches) and trying to find the potential superstars of the bunch. And this is the price we have to pay for that. Perhaps this is just a blip and next year will be better. I'm not ready to give up on Lovie and co just yet anyway. They should be afforded some transition period.

You know this talk of "system" is really starting to annoy me. Anybody with me? What good is any system if your basics are not there? No system can work if the fundamentals aren't there and it's clear that this young group of players is lacking in the fundamental areas. Maybe that's a coaching problem because its obvious, to me at least, that there is talent on board. Without the fundamentals, without discipline, no system is going to work. All you'll get is a group of players that know the gameplan but are too inept to implement it.
Lets quit trying to out system teams and focus on out playing and out coaching them.
And pigs might fly.
Old 25.10.2004, 07:12 PM
Team Captain

My concern is that we have played the last couple of games close and with any kind of offense should have won those games, but in the NFL you can only play so long this way before you get blown out. Teams know now a two score lead is as good as a W.
We need to pound the ball more, key on special teams and take the pressure of an inexperienced QB.

Old 25.10.2004, 11:36 PM
All Pro

here is an update...... Bears bypass Couch

The Bears are sticking with Quinn, Krenzel and Hutchinson.........oh my

The Associated Press

October 25, 2004, 5:34 PM CDT
The Bears passed on signing Tim Couch and will stick with the three quarterbacks on their roster, despite their struggles on offense and a 1-5 record.

Couch, the top overall pick in the 1999 draft, had a tryout on Friday and Saturday with the Bears, who lost starting quarterback Rex Grossman to a season-ending knee injury in the third week.
Couch was cut this year by both Cleveland, where he played his first five seasons, and then in September by Green Bay. He had been bothered by a sore arm.

"We wanted to look at Tim after he was well, after his elbow and shoulder had healed. We got a chance to do that this past week," coach Lovie Smith said. "Right now we think we're going in a different direction. The three guys we have on our roster right now is what we're going with."

Jonathan Quinn and rookie Craig Krenzel played a half each in Sunday's 19-7 loss to Tampa Bay. Krenzel, in his first NFL appearance, completed 9-of-19 passes for 69 yards and led the Bears to their only score and also threw an interception. Quinn, who had a 77-yard screen pass TD called back on the first play, was 5-of-9 for 47 yards after making his third straight start.

Former Dallas quarterback Chad Hutchinson was signed after Grossman was injured, but is still learning offensive coordinator Terry Shea's complex system.

Smith said evaluations were ongoing and would not say who would start practice Wednesday as the No. 1 quarterback, but he did say the Bears were no longer interested in Couch.

"The workout he had was OK, it was a good workout," Smith said.

"As much as anything, we like the three quarterbacks we're working with right now. We feel like the three quarterback are really all we can work with right now."

Krenzel, who led Ohio State to an unbeaten national championship season in 2002 and was 24-3 as a Buckeyes' starter, could get the nod for Sunday night's game against the 49ers at Soldier Field.

"I thought for a rookie coming in and playing for the first time I thought he did a lot of good things. I think he managed the game well," Smith said.

"He made some bad plays, some bad throws, but I also thought he made some good decisions and made some good throws and he wasn't overwhelmed with what was going on."

Quinn's day appeared to get off to a good start, but an offensive pass interference on wide receiver David Terrell -- one of 10 Chicago penalties --wiped out the 77-yard TD pass to Thomas Jones.

"The entire outcome of the game the momentum of the game of course is different," Smith said.

"I thought both of the guys did some good things and the quarterback position as a whole didn't beat us. That's not why we lost the game."

But the Bears managed only 167 yards of total offense, seven more than they had the previous week in a loss to the Washington Redskins.

"It's frustrating," tight end Desmond Clark said Monday. "After the last three games, I feel I should go up to the defense and apologize."

But Chicago's defense had a rough day, as well, surrendering 109 yards rushing to Michael Pittman and giving up a pair of 93-yard scoring drives.

Notes: Backup FB Jason McKie could miss up to a month with a sprained knee. Offensive lineman Mike Gandy is also out for an undetermined amount of time after aggravating a hamstring injury early in the game. Smith said he didn't know if DE Adewale Ogunleye, who missed Sunday's game with a leg injury, would be able to go against the 49ers

......its going to be a looooooong season
Old 26.10.2004, 04:33 AM
All Pro

Yeah, i'm getting pi*sed off at hearing crap about the 'system' after every loss. Oh, hold I am pi*sed off. :
If the magical 'system' is so damned hard to master, why not just make it less hard to master :P Durr! It's too conservative, and doesn't work. All we seem to be doing is preparing to fail next year.

I figure if we are going to lose, let's go down in blazing flames. Not by a couple of points in a bad game. You don't win if you don't risk. Especially so seeing as this year we are going to end with with nothing to show, when it's more important to try and make big plays and stretch people. Management figured we would challenge next year. Well, not next year if we don't at least try this year.

NO GUTS, NO GLORY!

[glow=darkorange,4,300]GO BEARS![/glow]

Old 26.10.2004, 05:27 AM
All Pro

if memory serves me right,didnt we have a bad injury season in 2000 finished 5-11,then the next year after getting rid of the sh#t QB (Cade McNown) we had a 13-3 season and a trip to the play off's. Well lets hope history repeats it self all we have to do is f@#k the crap QB off (you know who) and we should have a winning season next year......
Old 26.10.2004, 08:01 AM
MVP

Send a message via MSN to Swervedriver

[quote author=AdiBear link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=90#msg118801 date=1098768440]
if memory serves me right,didnt we have a bad injury season in 2000 finished 5-11,then the next year after getting rid of the sh#t QB (Cade McNown) we had a 13-3 season and a trip to the play off's. Well lets hope history repeats it self all we have to do is f@#k the crap QB off (you know who) and we should have a winning season next year......
[/quote]

so you saying the Bears are a one man team then??? ;D
Old 26.10.2004, 09:51 AM
Team Captain

Send a message via MSN to Horny Bear

[quote author=Swervedriver link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=90#msg118822 date=1098777688]
[quote author=AdiBear link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=90#msg118801 date=1098768440]
[/quote]

so you saying the Bears are a one man team then??? ;D
[/quote]

Yep Maynard is going to the Pro Bowl ...
Old 26.10.2004, 11:14 AM
MVP

Send a message via MSN to Bongo46

[quote author=AdiBear link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=90#msg118769 date=1098747391]
here is an update...... Bears bypass Couch

The Bears are sticking with Quinn, Krenzel and Hutchinson.........oh my

The Associated Press

October 25, 2004, 5:34 PM CDT
The Bears passed on signing Tim Couch and will stick with the three quarterbacks on their roster, despite their struggles on offense and a 1-5 record.

Couch, the top overall pick in the 1999 draft, had a tryout on Friday and Saturday with the Bears, who lost starting quarterback Rex Grossman to a season-ending knee injury in the third week.
Couch was cut this year by both Cleveland, where he played his first five seasons, and then in September by Green Bay. He had been bothered by a sore arm.

"We wanted to look at Tim after he was well, after his elbow and shoulder had healed. We got a chance to do that this past week," coach Lovie Smith said. "Right now we think we're going in a different direction. The three guys we have on our roster right now is what we're going with."

Jonathan Quinn and rookie Craig Krenzel played a half each in Sunday's 19-7 loss to Tampa Bay. Krenzel, in his first NFL appearance, completed 9-of-19 passes for 69 yards and led the Bears to their only score and also threw an interception. Quinn, who had a 77-yard screen pass TD called back on the first play, was 5-of-9 for 47 yards after making his third straight start.

Former Dallas quarterback Chad Hutchinson was signed after Grossman was injured, but is still learning offensive coordinator Terry Shea's complex system.

Smith said evaluations were ongoing and would not say who would start practice Wednesday as the No. 1 quarterback, but he did say the Bears were no longer interested in Couch.

"The workout he had was OK, it was a good workout," Smith said.

"As much as anything, we like the three quarterbacks we're working with right now. We feel like the three quarterback are really all we can work with right now."

Krenzel, who led Ohio State to an unbeaten national championship season in 2002 and was 24-3 as a Buckeyes' starter, could get the nod for Sunday night's game against the 49ers at Soldier Field.

"I thought for a rookie coming in and playing for the first time I thought he did a lot of good things. I think he managed the game well," Smith said.

"He made some bad plays, some bad throws, but I also thought he made some good decisions and made some good throws and he wasn't overwhelmed with what was going on."

Quinn's day appeared to get off to a good start, but an offensive pass interference on wide receiver David Terrell -- one of 10 Chicago penalties --wiped out the 77-yard TD pass to Thomas Jones.

"The entire outcome of the game the momentum of the game of course is different," Smith said.

"I thought both of the guys did some good things and the quarterback position as a whole didn't beat us. That's not why we lost the game."

But the Bears managed only 167 yards of total offense, seven more than they had the previous week in a loss to the Washington Redskins.

"It's frustrating," tight end Desmond Clark said Monday. "After the last three games, I feel I should go up to the defense and apologize."

But Chicago's defense had a rough day, as well, surrendering 109 yards rushing to Michael Pittman and giving up a pair of 93-yard scoring drives.

Notes: Backup FB Jason McKie could miss up to a month with a sprained knee. Offensive lineman Mike Gandy is also out for an undetermined amount of time after aggravating a hamstring injury early in the game. Smith said he didn't know if DE Adewale Ogunleye, who missed Sunday's game with a leg injury, would be able to go against the 49ers

......its going to be a looooooong season
[/quote]

Another knock to TC's confidence.
Old 27.10.2004, 09:51 AM
Team Captain

Send a message via MSN to Horny Bear

Funny poll on the home page of the official site today ...

Who is the Bears MVP so far this year ..

Jones, Maynard, Kreutz and Urlacher as well as other ...

WTF are they kidding or what ...

Should have been two choices in Jones and Maynard and that about sums up the season thus far ...
Old 27.10.2004, 10:12 AM
Starter

Olin Kreutz is a great player but how can you define a centre as a team MVP (at least from a spectators point of view)?