Season's Over Rant - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Philadelphia Eagles

Old 27.11.2015, 02:22 PM
Pro

Default Season's Over Rant

I thought about posting something like this after the Bucs game, but then I thought: 'No, Chip'll fix this. He'll get everyone's heads in the right place and put a gameplan together that'll take advantage of a number of weaknesses in a below average Lions team.'

I was wrong. Seeing the team play and listening to Chip in his press conference afterwards it's clear (to me) that the team's given up on the season and Chip's given up too. Whether this means the players have given up on Chip, or that Chip's given up on the players, I'm not sure about and we'll get five weeks to work that one out.

I don't think Lurie will sack Chip, unless it's clear he's lost the locker room. I don't think Chip'll quit either. One thing we've learnt over the past year is that Chip is too proud - think shedding the star players and Tebow. But there's no escaping the fact the Eagles are 5-11 since Thanksgiving 2014.

If Chip can find some sort of high note to end the season on, or in spite of a bad end to the year he's kept on, I don't think the quality in the team is too far away. Some sort of answer is needed at QB, the line (save for Johnson and Kelce) needs to be replaced and a outside the numbers deep threat is needed. Aside from that I'm fine with the team.

The big change needs to come, in my own ill-educated opinion, in gameplanning. More specifically, the lack of a Plan B. I think the system doesn't work by itself any more and where the Eagles have fallen down is that it's too easy to beat the Eagles when you work out the minimalistic playcalling. It puts far to much on the Defence, and has probably contributed to the disasters over the past fortnight. That'll be the hard thing - will Chip move away from th Chip Kelly offence?

If the Eagles do reset, it could be a very long overhaul. Offensively, the players are very Chip-specific and there could be a lot of turnover there and it could take two or three seasons to bed in. Defensively however, if they stick to a 3-4, I don't think anything needs to change other than adding a bit of depth. Even in a 4-3 I think the Eagles have the players in place to succeed immediately, outside of any time needed to learn the new scheme.
Old 30.11.2015, 09:45 AM
All Pro

Agree on everything.

It is easy to overreact and call for his head. But once everyone has cooled down after a loss like Detroit/Tampa, by mid week you start to wonder if sacking him would improve things.

He hasn't had a franchise QB to work with yet. That makes or breaks a team. Name me any of the most successful teams in the past few years and I'd guarantee their form would have plummeted with Foles or Bradford playing QB.

It is that important. Cam Newton for example, winning games on his own. Green Bay without Rodgers??.

In my experience of following sport, the expectation of winning hurts a lot more than following a poor team and losing every game. My European football team loses regularly and I don't particularly mind. That is why Eagles fans are so annoyed I think. They had a winning team.

I say give him one more year. But the main problem with this is that he will give Bradford an extension. It isn't just about giving him one more year, I think Chip will put our future on the line to try and keep his job. He already gave too much to get Bradford. Too much for Demarco Murray. Too much to Kiko Alonso.

The rookie Hicks being pretty much his only successful transaction in the past year. And Thurmond. Unless I'm missing someone?.

I expect a pretty boring off season this time around. In comparison to last years anyway. I actually hope for one!. We'll have a high draft pick so we'll see. Offensive lineman is vital, but I'd rather we get a vet than a rookie. Peter will retire soon as well won't he?

Paxton Lynch maybe?. That is what some people are saying. They're also saying this years QB class is dreadful. Who knows?. A load of 2+ round picks in past have turned out to be franchise QB's.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 30.11.2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01.12.2015, 12:40 PM
Pro Bowler

Its a tricky situation all round. I can see both sides if I am being honest. Overall feel he should be given a bit of time to fix this mess that he has helped create.

I was really positive about Bradford going into the season but, whilst I do accept he has improved, it just has not worked. He has not been helped by the drops and the poor receiving pool but his body language has been dreadful and I would expect tht this does not inspire confidence of those around him.

Oh, and please God, no Kaepernick please.
Old 03.12.2015, 05:30 PM
All Pro

I think chip should and will have another season. the whole offense depends on making the first 20 yards then we normally at least put points on the board due to the high pace and tiring defences. Issues come with the amount of 3 and outs.

I don't think DeMarco Murray is a good fit for our offense due to him being a down hill runner when we mostly run sweeps. Still glad we took the 'Bradford experiment' though, couldn't see foles putting us in a better position.

one positive least we can just sit back watch the games expecting a loss and hoping to be positively surprised
Old 06.12.2015, 07:19 PM
Pro

Somehow I've managed to convince myself that we can beat the Pats, it's the best time we could possibly be playing them, and that'll start a run to the post-season.

What is wrong with me?
Old 07.12.2015, 10:17 AM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by story84 View Post
Somehow I've managed to convince myself that we can beat the Pats, it's the best time we could possibly be playing them, and that'll start a run to the post-season.

What is wrong with me?
What are this weeks Lottery numbers going to be??

I expected a blow out and season over. If Dallas win tonight then we are well in with a chance. Please note, I will not be cheering for Dallas as that is blasphemy!
Old 07.12.2015, 02:39 PM
All Pro

we did beat the pats . win out the rest of the games? I very much doubt it but lets keep optimistic
Old 09.12.2015, 07:58 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcintosh92 View Post
we did beat the pats . win out the rest of the games? I very much doubt it but lets keep optimistic
Agreed mate, cutting Austin is a start.

I see Eagles beat by Buffalo. Shady will have a blast. However, I see 3 wins after that.
Old 10.12.2015, 10:39 AM
Pro

I really hope we stop Shady. I think he's a great player but what he said when he left seemed so unneccesary and bitter.

Hopefully Kiko forces a fumble off him!
Old 11.12.2015, 12:37 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmcavoy17 View Post
I really hope we stop Shady. I think he's a great player but what he said when he left seemed so unneccesary and bitter.
Agreed. I had a lot of time for him, but he absolutely blew any sort of respect I had for him out of the water this morning. He needs to move on, hopefully not by shoving it down Chip's throat on Sunday.