the BENGALS thread - Page 101 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Cincinnati Bengals

Old 21.11.2010, 10:08 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsman View Post
Number two pick?? You sell the Bengals short there. There is not a team worse in the NFL right now... I don't think they'll win another this year so I think this season has number one pick written all over it.
Someone in an earlier thread said the two winnable games were against the Bills and Browns. Browns? Are you nuts?? The Browns are one of the better teams and the Bengals couldn't stop the running game last time out!

I can read the excuses for this game a mile away.. and I want to head them off at the pass. Don't give me this 'oh both the starting safeties went down and they were down to second string players' ... this is NO excuse. Ndukwe has been with the Bengals for years and played as a first string in many defensive schemes like nickel.
As for Reggie Nelson - the guy was a first round pick by the Jags and played starting safety for them for much of that period. NO EXCUSES!

Even at 28-7 I thought...'right HOW will they screw this up?' ... sure enough they answered. Even predicted the INT to my mate in Mexico (Bills fan) as they drove into the Bills red zone...(he hadn't seen how the Bengals lose their games!)

Sick of this year totally. I just want it over and done with.
The Panthers are worse. We might win one more game this year, but if they went 1-15 I wouldn't be at all surprised. If the 9ers had any idea how to play football this Panthers team would be another 0-16.

Although knowing our luck we'll go into the last game needing to lose to get that pick and we'll beat the Ravens in Baltimore! Either that or Andrew Luck won't declare/we'll take someone else. I wouldn't be surprised to see us get the number one overall pick and then take Patrick Peterson (a corner) or something just as crazy.
Old 21.11.2010, 10:20 PM
Rookie

Some facts from today - apparently the largest comeback on the road in Buffalo’s 51-year history - Attendance 55,654 in the stadium. Carry on like this and what's the chance of Bengals at Wembley next season?

18th non-winning season out of 20.

Chris Crocker out for the season (he's the lucky one).

Mike Brown to suit up for the next game (possibly).
Old 21.11.2010, 10:25 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Some facts from today - apparently the largest comeback on the road in Buffalo’s 51-year history - Attendance 55,654 in the stadium. Carry on like this and what's the chance of Bengals at Wembley next season?

Damn, Crocker being out won't help... although it helps the search for the top pick. I did say Coach Lewis was after that pick a few weeks back! It's a brilliant masterplan, he just slipped up as losing in Carolina would have been far too obvious!
Old 21.11.2010, 10:42 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post

Is that the former Bears and Chiefs strong safety Mike Brown? We need some new blood in our banged up secondary.

In all seriousness though I have never had such a sinking feeling after a game. Losing the game in such a manner is just stomach churning. How many ways are Cincinati going to find to lose.

All change in the off-season is clearly needed with the coaching staff. Promoting from within is unlikely to be successful. Maybe try Lefevour as QB in the next game. Palmer's inconsistancy is maddening.

A nationally televised game on Thursday. We never win in New York and I cannot see that changing on Thursday.

The Panthers are even worse and will not win two more games. (Don't we hold the tie-breaker over them?) Luck will probably choose to stay in college or Carolina will take him.
Old 21.11.2010, 10:51 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancashire Bengal View Post
Is that the former Bears and Chiefs strong safety Mike Brown? We need some new blood in our banged up secondary.

In all seriousness though I have never had such a sinking feeling after a game. Losing the game in such a manner is just stomach churning. How many ways are Cincinati going to find to lose.

All change in the off-season is clearly needed with the coaching staff. Promoting from within is unlikely to be successful. Maybe try Lefevour as QB in the next game. Palmer's inconsistancy is maddening.

A nationally televised game on Thursday. We never win in New York and I cannot see that changing on Thursday.

The Panthers are even worse and will not win two more games. (Don't we hold the tie-breaker over them?) Luck will probably choose to stay in college or Carolina will take him.
This was the worst feeling I can remember since we threw away a similar lead against San Diego in 2005 or 2006.

I'd imagine the Panthers would have the tie breaker as we beat them, although strength of schedule comes into it, I don't know exactly how it's organised, but they probably won't win a game between now and the end of the year.

I still think we go 4-12 with a couple of wins somewhere. Not sure where, but we won't go 2-14.
Old 21.11.2010, 11:27 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mde203 View Post
This was the worst feeling I can remember since we threw away a similar lead against San Diego in 2005 or 2006.

I'd imagine the Panthers would have the tie breaker as we beat them, although strength of schedule comes into it, I don't know exactly how it's organised, but they probably won't win a game between now and the end of the year.

I still think we go 4-12 with a couple of wins somewhere. Not sure where, but we won't go 2-14.
The Panthers are on their fourth QB now and their schedule is not exactly easy. We have what many think is the hardest remaining schedule in the league however.

I will go along with the 4-12 prediction. I feel we will finally get a win over San Diego on Boxing Day as well as one more divisional win.

I have just seen the Bengals post-match interviews. Coach Lewis said he was "speechless" just before he left the interview room. He appeared to have had enough. Terrell Owens stated said perhaps somewhat unhelpfully that Cincinnati are a "terrible" team at the moment. Carson Palmer looked very upset and dismissed some of the words reporters were using to describe the Bengals. He explained that the Bengals have not given up.

Last edited by Lancashire Bengal; 21.11.2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 21.11.2010, 11:36 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancashire Bengal View Post
The Panthers are on their fourth QB now and their schedule is not exactly easy. We have what many think is the hardest remaining schedule in the league however.

I will go along with the 4-12 prediction. I feel we will finally get a win over San Diego on Boxing Day as well as one more divisional win.

I have just seen the Bengals post-match interviews. Coach Lewis said he was "speechless" just before he left the interview room. He appeared to have had enough. Terrell Owens stated said perhaps somewhat unhelpfully that Cincinnati are a "terrible" team at the moment. Carson Palmer looked very upset and dismissed some of the words reporters were using to describe the Bengals. He explained that the Bengals have not given up.
Owens never said the right things, and it's true, we are a terrible team. Half of that in his mind is probably because he isn't under centre. Palmer says the right things, and he is doing his best, so I can't dislike the guy, but he isn't getting it done.

Lewis should have had enough. He should be despairing, and he should feel that it is on him. I can't bring myself to say that he should be in there to sort it out, as to be quite frank I hope we do lose all of the rest of our games to get the top pick.
Old 21.11.2010, 11:43 PM
Rookie

Calming down a bit but gotta just have my rant 'cos let's face it this is bottom of the barrel time.

May well get an unlikely win somewhere - what's the saying, something about even an old sow sniffing up a truffle now and again - but some real home truths now hitting home.
Last season running the football gave us some character, allowed Defence time off the field and played for Mike Zimmer. This season Offense can't string any consistency together, forget how to run the ball. Defence on the field for longer & get shown up eventually. Coaching inept in all aspects, even Zimmer not immune at times.

Phrases I won't listen to any more in press conferences without cursing -"didn't execute - beating ourselves - gotta tidy up one or two things up - gotta make plays - need to be on the same page - a little bit off" FFS!
Team owned and run by a well meaning (supposedly) but stubborn and clueless individual.
We have a lot of players that just plain aren't very good - can't expect other teams rejects to play year on year to a high standard - even Ced Benson dropping the ball.

A lot was said about how hard the schedule was going to be and 'cos we're playing better teams on average ,this has shown up how poor we really are. Other teams rejects can only take you so far.

Have always stayed off the get rid of Palmer bandwagon and like the guy, but admit he's not the style of quarterback this team needs. More than ever we need a grinder and motivator and not a pocket passer. Lately all interviews make him sound like he's on tranquilisers. Hope he goes somewhere where he gets decent coaching and protection and gets a bit more out of his career.

What else - oh yeah - more injuries again , starting kicker out for the season, Wingus and Dingus as our star wide receivers (don't believe the hype).

Time to break it up, see what we have as a base for the future in this squad (maybe 10 guys at most) and have some kind of reconstruction plan 'cos there's been too many years of this and as they say - I can't takes no maww!
Old 22.11.2010, 12:00 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mde203 View Post
Owens never said the right things, and it's true, we are a terrible team. Half of that in his mind is probably because he isn't under centre. Palmer says the right things, and he is doing his best, so I can't dislike the guy, but he isn't getting it done.

Lewis should have had enough. He should be despairing, and he should feel that it is on him. I can't bring myself to say that he should be in there to sort it out, as to be quite frank I hope we do lose all of the rest of our games to get the top pick.
If Owens is going to be like that he can go somewhere else. A good player he may be but it is extremely unprofessional to say that in a press conference. Chad needs to concentrate on his football more if not he can go elsewhere as well.

The concern with Coach Lewis is that he does not appear to have any answers which is concerning for fans and presumably Mike Brown.

Carson deserves better. He is an outstanding professional and gives his all for the franchise. I have a feeling that if Carson was to leave Cincinnati he will win something elsewhere.

If we don't draft a QB I cannot see any realistically attainable QB's to trade for that are any better than Carson.

We are probably looking at a top 5 pick in next years draft in all likelihood. Draft a QB in the first round to learn from Carson taking over when he is ready. (2012 season)
Old 22.11.2010, 12:59 AM
All Pro

Unhappy

Just watched the interviews on Bengals.com.

Wow... they really have lost it completely. This is team that hasn't a clue how to fix things and its clear they are out of ideas. Marvin Lewis looked punch drunk and ready to throw the towel in (we can only hope!)

Talking about how they have to bring their 'A' game to the Jets on thursday.... It's a loss clear and simple - this team cannot fix in four days the problems they have when they don't even know where to start! Even in their wins this year the Bengals have'nt brought their 'A' game and I thought they rode a lot of luck to get those two wins....

The Cincinnati Bengals need an entirely new coaching philosophy to engage the players and give them something to energize their gameplay. The Marvin Lewis tenure is already dead in the water.... the only difference now is that the dead fish ain't gonna be fished out the tank till after season end!