Da Bears - Monsters of the Midway Thread - Page 102 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 01.05.2006, 07:49 PM
Rookie

Default Re:Da Bears - Monsters of the Midway Thread

does anyone else here think the bears draft was a complete and utter waste...? i mean c'mon we came 28th ranked in the offense last year we NEEDED a TE and maybe a WR and we didnt even draft one. im left ???.
Old 01.05.2006, 09:50 PM
All Pro

It was a surprise but on looking more into the players I can understand why we went with them

Not picking Pope was a surprise but the hint was there when we resigned all our TE's.

We've strengthened the D and the return game.

I guess the reasoning of JA and Lovie is that Bradley and Currie are coming back from injury and we've now got 2 QBs who should be able to make the most of all our WRs and current TE.

GUess we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 02.05.2006, 01:50 AM
All Pro

[quote author=southamptonborn link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=1005#msg458526 date=1146512986]
does anyone else here think the bears draft was a complete and utter waste...? i mean c'mon we came 28th ranked in the offense last year we NEEDED a TE and maybe a WR and we didnt even draft one. im left ???.
[/quote]

Hi southamptonborn
here are some reasons why we went mostly Defence
#1: At 26 pick, the CB they wanted (Hill) was off the board. Do you really want to pay a TE 1st round money? Was any TE outside Vernon Davis worth the money?

#2: So you get an extra pick and move down some slots

#3: Outside of D'Brickashaw, were there any tackles worth 1st round money?

#4: I didnt think that we would go after a TE,when we have signed the three TE's (Clark,Reid and Gilmore) we already have.

#5: The last TE we took in the 1st round was Mike Ditka,over 40 years ago!!!
I think we did ok with the players that where left that fit our needs.
...also we did draft two TE's..Tight ends Tim Day of Oregon and Cooper Wallace of Auburn
Old 02.05.2006, 04:24 AM
All Pro

Bears earn high grades in draft
By Larry Mayer
May 1, 2006

LAKE FOREST, Ill. - The Bears earned high grades from at least three national experts after selecting seven prospects over the weekend in the NFL Draft.
Chicago picked safety Danieal Manning and cornerback Devin Hester in the second round, defensive tackle Dusty Dvoracek in the third, linebacker Jamar Williams in the fourth, defensive end Mark Anderson in the fifth and fullback J.D. Runnels and guard Tyler Reed in the sixth.

The Bears received a "B" from ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr., a "B" from AOL's Rob Rang and a "B-" from The Sporting News' Dan Pompei.

"The Bears traded out of the first round and were still able to get secondary help in Danieal Manning," Kiper wrote. "Devin Hester is a great athlete, but is he a cornerback or wide receiver? Hester will help the Bears in the return game.

"Dusty Dvoracek will get worked into the rotation at defensive tackle, and I really like the pick of defensive end Mark Anderson in the fifth round. J.D. Runnels could start as a rookie and was a great find in the sixth round.
Old 02.05.2006, 07:53 PM
All Pro

[quote author=AdiBear link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=1005#msg458617 date=1146543841]
By Larry Mayer
May 1, 2006

LAKE FOREST, Ill. - The Bears earned high grades from at least three national experts after selecting seven prospects over the weekend in the NFL Draft.
Chicago picked safety Danieal Manning and cornerback Devin Hester in the second round, defensive tackle Dusty Dvoracek in the third, linebacker Jamar Williams in the fourth, defensive end Mark Anderson in the fifth and fullback J.D. Runnels and guard Tyler Reed in the sixth.

The Bears received a "B" from ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr., a "B" from AOL's Rob Rang and a "B-" from The Sporting News' Dan Pompei.

"The Bears traded out of the first round and were still able to get secondary help in Danieal Manning," Kiper wrote. "Devin Hester is a great athlete, but is he a cornerback or wide receiver? Hester will help the Bears in the return game.

"Dusty Dvoracek will get worked into the rotation at defensive tackle, and I really like the pick of defensive end Mark Anderson in the fifth round. J.D. Runnels could start as a rookie and was a great find in the sixth round.
[/quote]

Anderson is getting some really good reviews and sounds like a a great fit in our system.
Old 03.05.2006, 02:53 AM
All Pro

[quote author=Lord Quinn of Pants link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=1005#msg458846 date=1146599604]
[quote author=AdiBear link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=1005#msg458617 date=1146543841]
By Larry Mayer
May 1, 2006

[/quote]

Anderson is getting some really good reviews and sounds like a a great fit in our system.
[/quote]

Nate posted this on the other site,its a great link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/prospects?rank_type=2
Old 07.05.2006, 08:05 AM
All Pro

**** draft........no TEs what's going on????
Old 07.05.2006, 03:23 PM
All Pro

[quote author=terry link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=1005#msg460048 date=1146989136]
s**t draft........no TEs what's going on????
[/quote]

Terry me old china..
we have 3 TE's on the roster and also picked up TWO TE's from the FA draft..thats FIVE TE's we have in camp.
If Da Bears realy wanted to pick up a TE in the draft,then why would they go and resign the remianing TE's we have?
I have a lot of fath in Clark,I really think he will come good.Now we have a good QB to back up Grossman,I think we are going to see the Offence take of this coming season.Ok we lost to the Panthers,but the Offence under a QB that could move the ball,scored 21 points....
I agree with JA and Lovie's draft,we did need depth on D wich they addressed.
Old 08.05.2006, 12:54 PM
All Pro

Tight Competition

Cooper Wallace
By: Jason Klabacha

Date: May 7, 2006

The tight end position has been a source of conversation around Halas Hall over for months. While Tim Day and Cooper Wallace would have preferred to be drafted, the situation in Chicago is tailor made for an undrafted free agent to make a run at the 53-man roster.

Day and Wallace both put up respectable numbers at major college programs. Day had 86 receptions for 1,008 yards and 13 touchdowns for Oregon, while Wallace had 63 catches for 829 yards and 4 at Auburn
Considering 17 tight ends were taken in the draft why did Day and Wallace not join the group?

“Anytime a guy that you anticipate is going to be a mid or high draft choice and all of the sudden he doesn’t get drafted you can almost count on the fact he has some sort of medical problem,” director of college scouting Greg Gabriel said of Day, who has battled knee and calf injuries.

Day wanted to end up in Chicago because he saw an opportunity with the Bears. Not only does he have to prove his game can translate to the NFL level, but that he can stay on the field.

“Coming out here I'm just going to try to show everybody I can play without the injuries,” Day said. “I'm healthy right now. I'm ready to come out and play.”

As for Wallace, it could be a case of poor play at quarterback during his senior year that led to him going undrafted. Last year Auburn had three first rounds picks on offense in running backs Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown, but the loss of quarterback Jason Campbell hit Wallace the hardest.

Without a proven quarterback his numbers took a hit as a senior. Although he caught a career high 20 receptions, his average per catch dropped by 6.1 yards from the previous season.

“One of the good things about how we scout is that we’re not scouting one year,” Gabriel said. “We scout careers and the same guys hit the school year after year after year and we know what he was the year before.”

Wallace is known for being a solid blocker, which is important in Ron Turner’s run oriented offense.

“I think blocking is more of a strength for me,” Wallace said. “I have to go a little more aggressive to the whistle, but I think it’s something I could be good at.”

With an upgrade in talent at tight end, Day and Wallace could help turn around a position that had little production in 2005. The trio of Desmond Clark, John Gilmore and Gabe Reid combined for 28 receptions for 250 yards and three touchdowns. The bulk of the numbers came from Clark, who had 24 catches for 229 yards and two scores.

“They’re good tight ends, I don’t know what everybody’s talking about,” said Wallace, who is quickly learning the art of political correctness.

Day and Wallace should provide competition on the lower portion of the depth chart with an opportunity to expand their roles with experience.

“We think we were lucky to get two players like that that weren’t drafted,” said Coach Lovie Smith.

Old 05.06.2006, 07:01 PM
All Pro

Any of you fellow bears worried about the Jones and Briggs situation????????