Why the Saints? - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New Orleans Saints

Old 03.10.2011, 04:42 PM
Starter

i always wanted to go to new orelans for mardi gras and when i got into the nfl it just seems like the logical team to support
Old 13.10.2011, 09:27 AM
Rookie

Hiya, I'm pretty new to the forum but I've been a fan of the NFL since about 2008. When I first got into the sport I thought that I'd probably end up being a Patriots fan as I've got family over in New England, but after watching them lose in the Superbowl that year I became less convinced. Then during the regular season of that year I watched a couple of games late night on channel five and the team that caught my eye was the saints. I then watched them play san diego at wembley on the TV and that was that really. Haven't looked back since!
Old 28.10.2011, 11:17 AM
Pro

I cant remember what year exactly, but it was early 2000's. I was over in Gran Canaria during a family holiday, and we were in some restaurant with live music. I didnt want to be there so i was watching this small tv which was playing some NFL game. I did know about american football then, but i knew it as madden (id only ever played the video games, hence i didnt have a team i supported). The TV was too small to see the names of each teams, but the two jersey colours were gold and purple (i would later discover it was a game between the Saints and Vikings).

I loved watching the match and started rooting for the gold team (thank god i didnt chose the other team!). Anyway the game was turned off because the place had a Blues Brothers dedication act playing on stage, so i never got to see the end of the game. But when i returned home i started to research the team more and ever since ive been a die-hard saints fan!

Its funny that my choice to support the saints also influenced the decision of a friend who decided to support the San Diego Chargers because they were playing the Saints in the wembley game. Ive never seen the Saints play in person, but i know one day soon ill be in the Superdome cheering on 'dem New Orleans Saints!!!
Old 28.10.2011, 11:22 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by karld View Post
I cant remember what year exactly, but it was early 2000's. I was over in Gran Canaria during a family holiday, and we were in some restaurant with live music. I didnt want to be there so i was watching this small tv which was playing some NFL game. I did know about american football then, but i knew it as madden (id only ever played the video games, hence i didnt have a team i supported). The TV was too small to see the names of each teams, but the two jersey colours were gold and purple (i would later discover it was a game between the Saints and Vikings).

I loved watching the match and started rooting for the gold team (thank god i didnt chose the other team!). Anyway the game was turned off because the place had a Blues Brothers dedication act playing on stage, so i never got to see the end of the game. But when i returned home i started to research the team more and ever since ive been a die-hard saints fan!

Its funny that my choice to support the saints also influenced the decision of a friend who decided to support the San Diego Chargers because they were playing the Saints in the wembley game. Ive never seen the Saints play in person, but i know one day soon ill be in the Superdome cheering on 'dem New Orleans Saints!!!
You will love the Superdome! Amazing place! Amazing atmosphere!
Saw them destroy the Pats on MNF....Brees was awesome with 5 TD passes and the sound was amazing!

Great City, Stadium, Night life, Food, People, QB, Coach
thats all good.

The bad for me is you guys will be the reason we dont repeat this season!
Old 28.10.2011, 11:34 AM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titletown USA View Post
You will love the Superdome! Amazing place! Amazing atmosphere!
Saw them destroy the Pats on MNF....Brees was awesome with 5 TD passes and the sound was amazing!

Great City, Stadium, Night life, Food, People, QB, Coach
thats all good.

The bad for me is you guys will be the reason we dont repeat this season!
I know, it gives me shivers just listening to the crowd on the TV, i cant imagine what its like to be there in person!

The main problem is that being a university student i dont have that much money. I might have to wait until i finish uni to go out to new orleans. Id also like to go and watch LSU when i visit.
Old 28.10.2011, 11:38 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by karld View Post
I know, it gives me shivers just listening to the crowd on the TV, i cant imagine what its like to be there in person!

The main problem is that being a university student i dont have that much money. I might have to wait until i finish uni to go out to new orleans. Id also like to go and watch LSU when i visit.
Well mate I recommend both!

Saw LSU beat Arkansas in OT on the Saturday and the Pats at Saints on MNF was an awesome trip
did some games in Atlanta on same trip.......and the atmosphere in New Orleans is why i disparage the Falcons fans so much as they just arent in your league for passion.
Old 29.12.2011, 02:11 PM
Pro

My reasons are quite pathetic really but it was the only common ground I could find when choosing my team:

My name is Drew (like Drew Brees).
My favourite drink is Southern comfort with ice (created in New Orleans).
It?s Laughable.

That said, I also like the look of the city (especially the French Quarter), all I need to do now is persuade the girlfriend to go on holiday there (which will be timed perfectly with a home game!)
Old 29.12.2011, 05:05 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew_Saints View Post
My reasons are quite pathetic really but it was the only common ground I could find when choosing my team:

My name is Drew (like Drew Brees).
My favourite drink is Southern comfort with ice (created in New Orleans).
It?s Laughable.

That said, I also like the look of the city (especially the French Quarter), all I need to do now is persuade the girlfriend to go on holiday there (which will be timed perfectly with a home game!)
Haha same here dude. Let me know if you come up with a good way to do this
Old 29.12.2011, 09:02 PM
All Pro

Looks like this thread has come back to life!

I have been drawn to New Orleans since 1976ish when a James Bond film featured there.
I only really got into football when , 8 or 9 years ago I worked with a guy who always seemed
to have a smoke break at the same time as me. He bored me stupid with woeful tales of
his turbulent love life. This guy wore a bears cap and to change the subject I would talk about
the NFL with him. Anyway it made sense to pick a team and New Orleans stood out for me and became
even more attractive when he told me how useless they were. This was a year before the 3-13 katrina
season and it looked like Haslett and Brooks were on the verge of being decent.
Sadly that storm and all the following upheaval put paid to that then Payton and Brees came to
town and the rest is history.
Since broadband replaced dial up it has become a lot easier to follow their fortunes via forums like
this and others stateside.
One day I will make the trip , although I'm a little worried I won't want to come home.
Old 22.01.2012, 08:05 PM
Pro

I picked the saints because I went to see the international series game between the Chargers and the Saints, and liked the way they played. And as it was a home game for the Saints it was all about them. Plus I like Brees style as a QB.