Why the Saints? - Page 5 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New Orleans Saints

Old 21.01.2013, 11:15 AM
Rookie

Default Why the Saints?

I grew up playing youth american football and was heavily into the Raiders!
But in 1997 I went to USA and ended up living and working in New Orleans!
Caught a game at the superdome against the chargers- it was after the dome patrol days sadly!
Was hooked then- Who dat?
Old 21.01.2013, 01:36 PM
All Pro

*bump*

as new thread was similar to this older one.
Old 23.01.2013, 09:17 AM
Pro

I started watching the NFL in the '10 playoffs, and wanted the Saints to beat the Seahawks purely on the white uniforms! After they got eliminated I started following the Packers with them being the lowest seeded team in the playoffs. Then the season opener Saints @ Packers, everyone was writing the saints off, so I was rooting for them, that last drive, stopped at the death, I felt really disappointed. Then I just knew this was my team!!
Old 28.01.2013, 09:02 PM
Rookie

MODs could you move this into the above thread?
Old 13.02.2013, 12:19 PM
Pro

I started watching the NFL on and off the year after Katrina hit nola, It was difficult not to support the Saints.

I'm also a wolves fan here in the UK - the traditional colours of both teams are black and gold, that sealed the deal.
Old 08.04.2013, 05:20 PM
Rookie

I started supporting the Saints back in '87 when I first started following the NFL, our first winning season I believe. The irony of this is when I moved to Portsmouth in 1989 due to my dad changing jobs, being a Saints and Pompey supporter can be hard to explain to some people lol. Who Dat!
Old 11.06.2013, 08:47 PM
Rookie

As a kid, i had a fleeting alliance to the New York Giants when my dad watched the channel 4 coverage back in the early 90's, but i only rediscovered the NFL from 2007/8 season when i was captivated by the cardinals run as underdogs to the superbowl. Being a southampton fc supporter, there was really only one choice for my team. Its somewhat strange that both my football and american football teams seem to suffer the same types of affliction, conceding points! and poor defense. Anyway, heres to 2013 season, i cant wait, only look at the nola news site maybe 5 times a day!!
Old 12.06.2013, 12:16 AM
Pro

I'm probably the newest fan of the Saints on this thread - started watching American football the year after the Saints won the Superbowl. Funnily enough, I didn't know they were the defending champs while watching their first game - the loss to Green Bay (I used to watch the games on mute). Instantly loved the team even though they lost - only found out the were the defending champions 2 weeks later. Kinda felt like a glory hunter for a bit, but it doesn't matter I guess. American football is so competitive, there's never one true favourite for the Superbowl. Ever since that first game, I've been addicted to the sport. Watched every game since (Saints or not) and I even play it now.
Old 19.08.2013, 04:02 PM
Pro

casually watched NFL for a few years without ever really picking a team but had a soft spot for the Saints. The place just looks so much fun.. and I enjoyed watching the lovable losers..., the crowd always seemed so pumped even though they where terrible.

When Katrina hit & it looked like they would be moved i felt so sorry for the fans and the area in general, how could the NFL possibly take away the only thing the city had left... it would have been a disgrace... then the homecoming game happened and the atmosphere (even just via tv) totally blew my mind. Shivers down spine time

That was it, I knew this was my team
Old 22.08.2013, 07:11 PM
Rookie

Been following NFL on and off for a few years. Visited New Orleans a couple of years after Katrina and was taken by the people and the place......great culture. There could only be one NFL team to follow, started with the 2012 season and looking forward to 2013.

Geaux Saints!