Rate our draft and separate picks 1-10 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Baltimore Ravens

Old 01.05.2011, 12:50 AM
All Pro

Default Rate our draft and separate picks 1-10

Well the title says it all really, what do you think of the picks?

Jimmy Smith 10/10 - This is exactly who we needed to draft and who he needed to be drafted by, should improve the secondary greatly.
Torrey Smith 7/10 - yes we need speed but he is lacking in other areas.
Jah Reid 10/10 - Absolutely love the pick.
Tandon Doss 8/10 - Good WR but would've rathered centre or pass-rush.
Chykie Brown 6/10 - Another good player but again we need a pass-rush.
Pernell McPhee 9/10 - Surprised he fell this far, not sure if he's NFL-ready.
Tyrod Taylor 8/10 - Backup QBs are important though I'm not sure how important but I like this guy.
Anthony Allen 7/10 - Happy with the pick if McGahee doesn't come back.

Total rating - 8/10.

Last edited by argentarius; 01.05.2011 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01.05.2011, 08:19 AM
Starter

I don't know enough about the guys picked in the later rounds to make a full assessment, but I will say I was surprised that the Ravens didn't go for a full-on pass-rusher - especially after some of their rhetoric in the build up about wanting to give Suggs some support.

I think the choice of Jimmy Smith first overall was a real steal, I did not think he would still be left on the board at 26 / 27. I might have been happier picking up a higher-ranking DE like Muhammed Wilkerson but I trust Da Costa and the staff know what they are doing! Hopefully with Foxworth, Wilson and Carr the Ravens will have a dynamic secondary from day 1 (no replay of Roethlisberger's playoff bomb this year, please).

Torrey Smith and Tandon Doss seem to offer two very different things to the WR corp. Smith offers the speed we have been lacking and Doss looks like a future replacement / alternative for Boldin.

Jah Reid really stood out at the combine and I was chuffed that the Ravens were so open about filling a need at RT.

Overall, if I'm honest... it seems the Ravens drafted to positions where at the moment they have veterans who are not producing and who are going to be demanding higher prices. Getting rid of Housh, Stallworth, Gaither, Yanda, Webb etc. will nicely compensate for Ngata's new contract, Flacco's negotiations and any complementary pass-rush LB or DE they go for in free agency. I am still surprised we got no LBs considering Ray Lewis has said he won't be around much longer and it would have been an excellent opportunity to draft someone to replace him and work under his tutelage (no Casey Matthews?!). I hope this means Kindle is good to go and Gooden is expected to produce wonderful things next year.
Old 01.05.2011, 11:28 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairy_yan View Post
Getting rid of Housh, Stallworth, Gaither, Yanda, Webb etc.
Re-signing Yanda is essential!

Dont know much about the late guys other than Tandon Doss who I was really happy to nab - Has good hands and can go over the middle.

We didnt solve the pass rush issues but if you ignore position-specific needs we certainly got bigger and faster with all of these guys.
Old 01.05.2011, 01:38 PM
Pro Bowler

Ill give my thoughts on each pick,

Jimmy Smith CB. Iv learnt to love this pick, The more i watch this kid the more i like him. Im starting to believe the hype about him being a shut down Corner. He will fit into our Secondary perfectly and he may even come straight out of camp as our No.1 Corner. The only reason i was disapointed to start with was because i really wanted a true pass rusher opposite Suggs. But the way this draft has gone they obviously have something up there sleave. I now believe Smith was the only way to go with our No.1 pick.

Grade 10/10

Torrey Smith WR. Iv already said what i think about Torrey Smith, But i think thats just because i personally dont like the guy. But if he can get the job done and provide that deep threat we need, And contribute on special teams i think he could be a winner. Like iv already said i really like Reed,So i just hope we give him a shot. I think its pretty obvious that the Ravens are looking at building for our future with this draft which im really happy with. This guy will hopefully step up into Masons shoes. Therefore iv got to grade on the teams needs instead of my personal feelings.

Grade 8/10

Jah Reid OT. I love this pick, I really like this kid, He has all the skill set to be a top Tackle in the NFL, I think he has abit of work to do before he gets thrown in there as our main guy to protect Joe but he will get there. Like iv said i cant see Gaither returning, And i still think we should go after a Vet FA Tackle this season and let Reid rotate in. Iv got faith in Oher being our left tackle of the future, And the Ravens seem to think the same. What i will say is i also think Re-signing Yanda is a must. The guy is a monster at guard and we cant let him go, Plus he has proved he can kick outside to tackle if need be.

Grade 9/10

Tandon Doss WR. Iv got to say this was a steel. Again i was disapointed because we could of addressed the pass rush, But when you look at it it makes alot of sence. this kid has awesome hands, He is quick and is a decent Route runner. Again a kid for the future. To me it also shows that we are re writing our offencive play book from the ground up. We now have 5 recievers that could start and make an impact off the bat, plus our Trio of tight ends. We have the makings for of truely Elite recieving Corps.

Grade 8/10

Chykie Brown CB. For me the fifth round was our best round, Im so happy we drafted a Longhorn, Obviously im slightly biased being a huge Texas fan but this kid has really got so much potential. He broke his forearm his senior year, Thats why his stock fell. But if you watch film on him you will be pleased. He is best in Man coverage and he sticks to his reciever like Glue. He is also awesome on Corner Blitz's and loves supporting against the run, Being a big strong guy he can take on most backs and bring them down without a problem. As long as he stays healthy i see a big future for Brown. I still think we should re-sign Wilson, So our Corners would be Webb, Foxworth,Wilson, Smith and Brown! Now thats a serious group of DB's!

Grade 9/10

Pernell Mcphee DE. This kid has some skills, He loves to rush the passer which is what we want, He has alot of upper body strength for his size and strong legs, My only fear is he relies on his bull rush. And when he goes up against NFL Tackles that just aint going to cut it. But again the pick makes sence, Another big body to rotate into our D-line. And iv got a sneaking suspision we may even see him standing up

Grade 8/10

Tyrod Taylor QB. Not much to say about this pick, We knew we needed to draft a QB instead of splashing cash on a vet QB in FA just to be a back up. Some people are saying he may be joes replacement, I just dont see it, I love Flacco and he will be a Raven for years to come. Like i say the pick makes scence, But i would of taken other guys over Taylor.

Grade 7/10

Anthony Allen RB. I like this pick, I think he is good value here, Lets face it we are going to loose Mcgahee or McClain, Maybe both. Personally im not fussed if we do. This kid is a power back with some speed and skill cutting in and out of tackles. He lacks a second gear if he gets out in space and chooses to lower his shoulder and take on tackles. But he didnt fumble the ball once in four seasons! Thats impessive. Im looking forward to seeing what this kid has to offer.

Grade 8/10

All in all i think it was a fantastic draft, We covered most areas of need and picked up some real tallent. The pass rush is obviously going to come from another direction, Hopefully with Kindle making a full recovery but time will tell. We have also got alot of Talented guys that didnt get drafted, I think we need to pick up a Centre like O'Dowd when we can, and some depth at OLB. Also Safety is still an Issue.
Old 01.05.2011, 03:00 PM
Starter

You guys have probably already seen this, but just in case:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/..._the_Risk.aspx

I like to think what we have here is a case of nabbing possibly the best CB in the draft, whose stock fell simply because two years ago he got caught smoking weed.

Not sure about the jab at Lewis though - ever heard of a guy turning his life around and giving something back to others? Is there a better mentor in the NFL?
Old 01.05.2011, 07:48 PM
Pro Bowler

Good read.

The hype about this kid will go on and on now untill he steps on the field in September. Thats when we shall see.

And Ray is the best mentor for this kid, and every young player on our team.