Congratulations - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Baltimore Ravens

Old 06.02.2013, 02:08 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashing_Yards View Post
Yes, as much as it pains me to say it, congratulations are in order our AFC North compatriots (which is the kindest word I could think of to use!!)

But, well done, tip my hat to you on an excellent post-season run that culminated in the ultimate prize. I'm sure your all very proud, and deserve to be.

Unfortunately I've been banned for the last two weeks so was unable to engage in the SB coverage which is partly why I'm here congratulating, I have too much honor to think for one moment any of you would think I was avoiding the showdown! I enjoyed the pleasures of Mike Carlson on Twitter instead whilst watching on my tele and switching over each time Cecil Martin spoke...

A few things...

1) It was PI, refs don't get to deem what is "catchable" via the rules but I'm not sure even with a flag and repeat the 49ers would have ever got there. But I'm sure Ravens fans would even agree that Chris Simm's explanation is as good as Sheffield Wednesday fans thinking Chelsea class them bigger rivals than Barcelona.

2) Joe Flacco deserves a top-5 QB's paypacket but not to be the highest-paid QB in the league. It's taken him 5 years to get here and in that time the rest of his team, especially his D, has aged and now, like I see some of you have already stated, the team could face a decline. Had Flacco achieved this 2-3 years ago we could talk about it then, I'm also sure with the replacements you will be needing to make over the coming few years you are not convinced on giving up such a huge sum to Flacco, QB and leader or not.

3) Do you expect Ed Reed to resign after this year?

4) Will Jim Caldwell be named OC now? (I've always liked him and got told by a lot of Colts fans on these forums last year just before his sacking he'll never play a part in a SB victory again, as you can imagine I'm taking alittle pleasure in that now!)

5) Do you, like me, believe that the brothers in arms image the media have spend so much time trying to push ahead of both 'Harbowls' over the previous two seasons is, perhaps, not as friendly and clean-cut as they would have us believe? It is unquestionable that they love each other but watching the press conferences and the rivalry and conduct between their players on the field, and the aftermath of the game, you get the feeling that perhaps John leads the way and takes charge, and Jim holds back whilst with his removed nature and demenour with the press, I got the impression of a little, shall we say, resentment? John seemed to revel almost in the possibility of having to comfort his brother, whilst Jim seemed to avoid any questions on that subject. I'm not showing favour to either, we as Steelers fans had something sentimental to lose either way the game went, I just thought it was intriguing to watch from a psychological aspect. Maybe it was just the occasion, the game and what was at stake that dictated. Perhaps this was just an impossible situation to handle either way, especially given the national and international spotlight.
Thought it was a little quiet around here the past few weeks

To answer some of your points

1) It definitely was not PI but could have been called for holding. As Crabtree initiated the contact though I believe the refs had to let it play out. Smith is entitled to that space as much as Crabtree. Also not being mentioned much is the face mask/push off from Crabtree. Any good defensive backs coach will say Smith played it perfectly and won the physical battle. I'm not going to state weather it was the correct call as I am biased but I will say there could have been flags on both players yet none where thrown as the refs let the players play all game. How it should be imho

2) I'd like to see Joe paid in the 15-16m range however I think he will get 17-18m. I believe he is a top 8-10 QB and will continue to be very successful for us. We are most definitely at a cross roads and face a rebuild period but I'm ok with that now that we have this Lombardi. All teams have to reload at some point.

3) The only way we keep Ed is if he is humble enough to take a pay cut. Which is highly unlikely but not impossible. The other way is getting a back loaded/incentive based deal done that avoids some cap stuff. To lose ed and Ray in the same offseason would be very painful for fans!

4) I think Jim Caldwell has done more than enough to get himself a 3-4 year deal.

5) For me your talking about 2 very different characters. John is your typical older brother, more mature and well rounded. Jim is the young explosive fiery guy. They have similarities but before the game I always imagined John would handle the loss better he's that type of guy. I think this will hit Jim hard but he'll be back with a team that's a contender for 4 more years. John now has a different task as he's in that reload period we mentioned. I personally liked the story it was always going to have a winner and a loser I'm glad John was the winner
Old 06.02.2013, 05:35 PM
MVP

Quote:
Yes, as much as it pains me to say it, congratulations are in order our AFC North compatriots (which is the kindest word I could think of to use!!)

But, well done, tip my hat to you on an excellent post-season run that culminated in the ultimate prize. I'm sure your all very proud, and deserve to be.
It took a while but that really was worth waiting for.

Quote:
Unfortunately I've been banned for the last two weeks so was unable to engage in the SB coverage which is partly why I'm here congratulating, I have too much honor to think for one moment any of you would think I was avoiding the showdown! I enjoyed the pleasures of Mike Carlson on Twitter instead whilst watching on my tele and switching over each time Cecil Martin spoke...
Thank God you've finally turned up! I've had the Devon coastguard out checking at the foot of cliffs since Sunday night. I thought the sight of Ray Lewis triumphantly hoisting the Lombardi Trophy above his head might have proved just too much for you to bear.

Quote:
1) It was PI, refs don't get to deem what is "catchable" via the rules but I'm not sure even with a flag and repeat the 49ers would have ever got there. But I'm sure Ravens fans would even agree that Chris Simm's explanation is as good as Sheffield Wednesday fans thinking Chelsea class them bigger rivals than Barcelona.
If it wasn't for the power outage then the PI call wouldn't even be a talking point. The Ravens were delivering a serious beat down to the 9ers until the power went out. I think even the 9ers fans on here recognise that fact.

The team who played the better football won so justice was done in the end.

Quote:
2) Joe Flacco deserves a top-5 QB's paypacket but not to be the highest-paid QB in the league.
You'll get no argument from me there. I balk every time I hear the mention of $100million.

Quote:
3) Do you expect Ed Reed to resign after this year?
I'd say it's 50/50.

If this was any other year then I think the Ravens might let him walk. Purely for financial reasons. However, I think it would be seen as a major blow to lose both Ray Lewis and Ed Reed from the locker room at the same time. So the Ravens might just go the extra mile to keep Ed in Baltimore at this time. Or Ed himself may agree to a hometown discount since we've just won the Superbowl. Either way, I am hopeful that he will still be a Raven next year.

Quote:
4) Will Jim Caldwell be named OC now? (I've always liked him and got told by a lot of Colts fans on these forums last year just before his sacking he'll never play a part in a SB victory again, as you can imagine I'm taking alittle pleasure in that now!)
Jim Caldwell has already been confirmed as the OC for next year. It'll be interesting to see how the offense evolves once he starts adding his own plays.

Quote:
5) Do you, like me, believe that the brothers in arms image the media have spend so much time trying to push ahead of both 'Harbowls' over the previous two seasons is, perhaps, not as friendly and clean-cut as they would have us believe? It is unquestionable that they love each other but watching the press conferences and the rivalry and conduct between their players on the field, and the aftermath of the game, you get the feeling that perhaps John leads the way and takes charge, and Jim holds back whilst with his removed nature and demenour with the press, I got the impression of a little, shall we say, resentment? John seemed to revel almost in the possibility of having to comfort his brother, whilst Jim seemed to avoid any questions on that subject. I'm not showing favour to either, we as Steelers fans had something sentimental to lose either way the game went, I just thought it was intriguing to watch from a psychological aspect. Maybe it was just the occasion, the game and what was at stake that dictated. Perhaps this was just an impossible situation to handle either way, especially given the national and international spotlight.
I don't think there is any conflict or resentment between John and Jim Harbaugh. The dynamic between the two of them is interesting though, I also picked up on it.

John is a lot warmer and more open about his feelings towards Jim than Jim is towards John. I think John is just a warmer, more approachable guy all round to be honest. John also seems a lot more comfortable in front of a camera than Jim does.

So many times in the lead up to the Superbowl I heard John say that he loved his brother and what a great coach Jim was. Just once I wanted to hear Jim say something similar back, but I never did. Maybe Jim is just a more private kinda guy than John is? I must admit though, when I watched the joint press conference I thought Jim came across as really cold. He was very abrupt and humourless. John was just John.

I really like John Harbaugh a lot. Aside from Ray Lewis, there was nobody I was happier for on Sunday night. I think he really deserved to finally get his hands on that trophy. I'm sure Jim's time will come.

Last edited by Corvus corax; 06.02.2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06.02.2013, 09:19 PM
All Pro

Im glad John got the win. Can't help but feel that the 49ers are more likely go get to the superbowl again sooner so Jim will get his chance again. Also, having a younger brother myself I would want to get the win first being the elder sibling
Old 07.02.2013, 10:04 AM
All Pro

Quote:
It took a while but that was really worth waiting for.
Well enjoy it because it'll be the last time you ever hear it.

Quote:
Thank God you've finally turned up! I've had the Devon coastguard out checking at the foot of cliff's since Sunday night. I thought the sight of Ray Lewis triumphantly holding the Lombardi Trophy above his head might just have proved too much for you to bear.
God no. Anyway I live in a farming community, I go hunting, I have friends who own firearms, if I wanted to take my own life due to the pain there are far easier ways to do it than that! I mean, it's cold out there, man could get hypothermia!

Quote:
If it wasn't for the power outage the PI call wouldn't even be a talking point. The Ravens were delivering a serious beat down to the 9ers until the power went out. I even think the 49ers fans on here recongise that.

The team who played better football won in the end so justice was done.
I disagree, the power outage, I felt, offered neither side a psychological advantage. The 49ers were mid-drive went it went out and it was shortly after half-time anyway so both teams had already had a chance to regroup, it killed the momentum of both teams as the 49ers began to sat around and question every decision they'd made on how to pursue an uphill task after half-time as much as the Ravens lost their flow. There was no power outage in Atlanta and the 49ers pulled off similar so I don't think it made any difference whatsoever, you have to credit the 49ers for the way they almost fought back, not attribute it to something neither of the two teams could control, both HCs looked thoroughly hacked off about it!

Man that last bit makes you sound like Chris Simm mate! Mike Carlson certainly doesn't like him anymore, have you seen any of his post-game Tweets?

Quote:
You'll get no argument from me there. I balk every time I hear the mention of $100 million.
Who says $100 million!? Point me in their direction, I could use a good laugh....No-one should be paid $100 million, especially not a quarterback of Joe Flacco's stature!

Quote:
I'd say it's 50/50
I agree, Reed has been a Raven for such a long time and much like with Hines Ward and us last year, I just can't see him going anywhere else. I think he'll either go back on it all and retire or take a paycut.

Quote:
Jim Caldwell has already been confirmed as OC for next year. It'll be interesting to see how the offense evolves once he starts adding his own plays.
I'm glad for Jim, he's a very good coach who doesn't get the credit he deserves, and to a degree he still isn't with 100% of the attention, rightly or wrongly, seeming to focus on Flacco. If the Ravens start to produce a better RS record than perhaps those Colts fan so quick to write Caldwell off might find themselves asking a few questions...

As for the Harbaughs, I can't really change my earlier comments, I definitely think Jim will win a SB at some stage (quite possibly next year), what he has achieved in just 2 seasons in the NFL is very, very impressive, he's a QB guru and has revolutionized a franchise that was toying with the doorstep of death, he has made Alex Smith one of the most sought-after FAs in years whilst retaining a young, athletic QB who engaged his team to a run to the NFC championship and the SB in just 10 games and he has a young front seven who are fast becoming a memorable defense. He needs adjustments and improvements in the secondary in the offseason but it's hard not too feel this team is already close to complete for next year.

The criticism of Kaep during and after the SB is also laughable.