Mallett's gone from Texans - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 28.10.2015, 11:33 AM
Starter

Rumour is that the Texans wanted to cut him before the game. Rick Smith blocked it which lead to the team "giving up" on the Miami game and Rick Smith in general. Take from that what you will but Rick Smith is kind of an underhanded guy and I think Houston has lost it's patience with him.

With regards to Mallett, he'll probably get signed again, whether he'll make a 53-man roster again is debatable. I mean even T-Rich and Josh Freeman were signed in the offseason.

As people have said Cowboys could be interested. Lord knows Jerry loves a 'big arm' guy.
Old 28.10.2015, 01:13 PM
Pro

The thing with Mallett is, he missed out on the starting job and was then late for training, he missed a flight claiming there was traffic and it later turned out there wasn't any and let's not forget his petulance when being pulled in Indy and this is just the stuff we know about.

As I have said elsewhere, this could be forgiven if he was leading the team to victories.

He had a real chance this season in Houston to show the NFL what he could do, he's thrown it away and you can't help but think he's killed his own career.

Think people are being hard on Rick Smith too, from the way I understand it he wanted to wait until after the weekend before cutting him, with Hoyer as the only active QB , that makes sense to me.

Last edited by cafctexan; 28.10.2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 28.10.2015, 01:43 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafctexan View Post
The thing with Mallett is, he missed out on the starting job and was then late for training, he missed a flight claiming there was traffic and it later turned out there wasn't any and let's not forget his petulance when being pulled in Indy and this is just the stuff we know about.

As I have said elsewhere, this could be forgiven if he was leading the team to victories.

He had a real chance this season in Houston to show the NFL what he could do, he's thrown it away and you can't help but think he's killed his own career.

Think people are being hard on Rick Smith too, from the way I understand it he wanted to wait until after the weekend before cutting him, with Hoyer as the only active QB , that makes sense to me.
Totally stealing this from Reddit but:

Quote:
1 - Rick has been known around the locker room for quite sometime as untrustworthy and very underhanded in how he treats players. He sees them more as chess pieces than actual people. Seriously, this has been going on for a long, long time.

2 - The real straw that broke the camel's back in the locker room before this year even started was the IR'ing of linebacker Mike Mohamed, a critical member of this defense who was well liked in the locker room. He was easily their best coverage linebacker, and someone who had earned a lot of respect over the years as he improved every single season into a defacto starter. He got a calf injury in the preseason that would have only sidelined him a few weeks (maybe half the season at the most if it nagged him), but Rick Smith put him on IR to "open up a roster spot that he needed".

3 - The real motivation for IR'ing Mohamed, however, was that he was in the last year of his contract and if he balled out again (as expected), he would have commanded a higher price tag next March. Rick wanted to save some money, so he threw his own player under the bus. Mo was furious and demanded his release with an injury settlement, which he got. The locker, then, was also furious because they lost a good player and a friend due to Rick being a ****ing cheap ass.

4 - Rick has pulled this "IR stash" move every single year with young players who he thinks are either a year away from contributing or who he doesn't want to have to pay as much down the road, which in turn has hurt their earning potentials later on when their resumes are not as good as they should be.

5 - This locker room absolutely cannot STAND Rick Smith, and now neither can O'Brien.

6 - When Ryan Mallett disobeyed team rules yet again and was STILL allowed to suit up because of Rick Smith, the team just stopped giving a ****. They never gave up on O'Brien, they just don't want to play for a GM they don't trust.

The idea is that he did this with Tom Savage too, who could be quite useful to have around right now.
Old 28.10.2015, 01:48 PM
Pro

Thanks.

All very interesting, if true.

Crap week to be a Texan.
Old 28.10.2015, 01:56 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafctexan View Post
Thanks.

All very interesting, if true.

Crap week to be a Texan.
There also was a link in there somewhere to an article about Ahman Green being mistreated whilst he was there too. No I know that a lot of this will be overblown, but no smoke without fire with these things a lot of the time.

Perhaps they can be better without Rick Smith as I believe BOB can be a good coach.
Old 28.10.2015, 02:05 PM
MVP

Two years ago Id have put money on he would land as a Jet... luckily those days are behind us....

Rex might fancy him for the bills though.

His attitude sucked and clearly he didn't sleep through his alarm back in the off season.. he was sulking after not getting the starter job and realised he had to come up with an excuse.
Old 28.10.2015, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

There were rumours and allegations of cocaine when Mallett was at Michigan before his transfer.
Old 28.10.2015, 09:19 PM
All Pro

Also a lot of rumours he did a lot of the knucklehead serifstuff in New England like missing meetings etc.

Brady was asked about it on WEEI earlier this week and greeted the question with an incredible awkward silence (ie. Yes he did)
Old 28.10.2015, 09:55 PM
All Pro

At least until Romo gets back
Old 28.10.2015, 09:58 PM
All Pro

If he has history Jerry will get the pen out again