PC gaming - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Computer Games

Old 03.11.2015, 07:06 PM
All Pro

Default PC gaming

hey guys, ive never really been into gaming on the PC but for some odd reason I decided to buy myself a top of the range gaming pc. Just wondering if you guys have any recommendations of what games to buy?

if any you guys have steam add me also! scottmcintosh2011

thanks for all your help!
Old 03.11.2015, 11:38 PM
davidjones178@hotmail.co.uk

What sort of games do you like?
Old 03.11.2015, 11:42 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjones178@hotmail.co.uk View Post
What sort of games do you like?
To be honest most . adventure, shooters, RPG, strategy.

just need something to take me away from football manager
Old 04.11.2015, 10:12 AM

Don't have nearly as much patience these days for games that I used to.

The games I have enjoyed most in the past few years were

Bioshock Infinite
Cities: Skylines
X-Com: Enemy Unknown
Elder Scrolls IV
Wargame: AirLand Battle
Portal/Portal 2

These are (were) all worth playing. Took a punt on plenty of others that I didn't finish or couldn't get into.
Old 04.11.2015, 11:29 PM
Hall of Fame

I finally gave in and bought myself Total War Shogun II Gold Edition for the princely sum of £14.99. Obviously it isn't the latest Total War game, but it came with all the add-ons Fall of the Samurai etc, and it was half the price it was on Steam.

I've steered clear of it for a while as I've found PC games can be infuriatingly unreliable at times, install issues etc.

Anyway, I tried to install it and low and behold it told me it wouldn't run as it was a 'pirated copy' even though I'd purchased it from GAME that morning. Then, Steam starts to update it...........which it informs me will take 2 days....2 DAYS! I allowed it to update numerous GB's of data (it did speed up, only took all of Saturday). Click on launch..........'You have a pirated copy......'

I checked the forums and it was full of complaints/issues with the game since patches were released a few years back. Despite trying several of the suggested fixes nothing worked, I uninstalled the game and got my money back (despite being initially told they don't refund PC games!).

I paid £15 to waste my weekend, then trail back to GAME the following weekend for a refund.

That sort of experience is why I'm reluctant to buy PC games these days.

(although i'll probably put myself through it again at some point for Total War: Warhammer, Football Manager 16, etc. Madden on the PC would be pretty tempting too! )
Old 05.11.2015, 10:37 AM
All Pro

just got Cities Skylines ...Sim City was a huge waste of money compared to this game!
Old 05.11.2015, 03:11 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
I finally gave in and bought myself Total War Shogun II Gold Edition for the princely sum of £14.99. Obviously it isn't the latest Total War game, but it came with all the add-ons Fall of the Samurai etc, and it was half the price it was on Steam.

I've steered clear of it for a while as I've found PC games can be infuriatingly unreliable at times, install issues etc.

Anyway, I tried to install it and low and behold it told me it wouldn't run as it was a 'pirated copy' even though I'd purchased it from GAME that morning. Then, Steam starts to update it...........which it informs me will take 2 days....2 DAYS! I allowed it to update numerous GB's of data (it did speed up, only took all of Saturday). Click on launch..........'You have a pirated copy......'

I checked the forums and it was full of complaints/issues with the game since patches were released a few years back. Despite trying several of the suggested fixes nothing worked, I uninstalled the game and got my money back (despite being initially told they don't refund PC games!).

I paid £15 to waste my weekend, then trail back to GAME the following weekend for a refund.

(although i'll probably put myself through it again at some point for Total War: Warhammer, Football Manager 16, etc. Madden on the PC would be pretty tempting too! )
wow that sounds like a horrible waste of time, but that's coming from a guy who has spent over a 1000 hours on football manager .

have Warhammer dawn of war which is amazing! just a nightmare trying to get an online game theses days.
Old 05.11.2015, 03:37 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post

also a shame because its probably the best Total war game ... looking forward to warhammer though
Old 09.11.2015, 04:57 PM
Starter

I fancied a trip into nostalgia recently, I don't have a high-end PC but a capable one. So i bought Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 which has been ace, and bought Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic off Steam and have had a whole host of issues trying to get it to run.

The annoying thing is Fallout comes out tomorrow meaning I'll probably not resolve this any time soon.
Old 10.11.2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonso11 View Post
also a shame because its probably the best Total war game ... looking forward to warhammer though
I fell out with Shogun 2 when I retreated a cavalry unit and mistakenly got an entire enemy army to endlessly chase it round and round my fort while I wore them down with archers from the inside.

I see the same problems in all these sorts of games. The AI just isn't good enough. Nor will it ever be. An AI can nail something like chess easily. It just forward thinks through all the branches. Shogi is much more difficult for an AI. Total War? Just think of the branching complexity in something like that.

The more freedom you have as a player, the less effective the AI is going to be. The usual solution is to load the AI up with resources. So yes, the AI is dumb but maybe the AI has 4 times as many troops as you do. It's like playing chess against a 4 year old with 4 times as many pieces. It doesn't make it more challenging really Just longer.

These kind of games are so much better when played against a person, when that is possible.