The new season and stuff - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New England Patriots

Sponsored Links

Old 03.09.2018, 03:49 PM
Team Captain

Default The new season and stuff

So I realise no-one posts on here anymore. The most recent thread being about Butler moving on :-)

I'm hoping there are a few of you still out there just waiting for someone to ask a question and you can jump on it and give your expert opinions.

Just wondering what people make of the offseason and the bizarre situation with our receivers.
We've literally got no one compared to last season and being the negative doom and gloom person I am when it comes to sports I am starting to question what is going on with us!!!
Realise that we tried a number of receivers that didn't seem to work out, but it's not like us to be so unprepared in this manner.
We are less than a week away from our opener against a team that should put points on us and I'm struggling to see where we are going to respond.
Are we going to be all about the running game this year, or at least until Edelman returns???

I understand we go through different phases with this team, great defence in the past making up for a lack of elite receivers, the two tightend offence and the short passing game making up for the years of no deep threat. Add to that Brady being able to make guys off the street look like hall of famers :-), but this year it seems very different.
Our defence is nowhere near being an elite group. Yes it will be improved with the return of Hightower and they may surprise me, but we have also lost of defensive coordinator so its a bit of an unknown quantity until we get going next week, but the defence hasn't been great for a while, but in many ways it hasn't had to be as we had such a great offence with Edelman and Amendola along with Gronk and players like Hogan and Cooks etc.
It always felt like we would just outscore whoever we played (which came back to bite us in the superbowl), but now we have what looks like a threadbare offence and a defence that will give up points.

I'm always worried like this at the start of the season and they always prove me wrong, but I'm just baffled at the receiver situation currently!!!

What are other peoples views of the season ahead?
Sponsored Links
Old 03.09.2018, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Well, you’ve signed Chad Hansen after we released him, so he will probably go on to be the next Welker/Edelman...
Old 04.09.2018, 06:11 PM
MVP

nearly every off season we worry about a lack of depth somewhere and by December we are front runners for a 1st round play-off bye so think we should trust GM Belichick has either got it right or will be tweaking the back end of the roster when needed.

having a new DC will be the big thing to watch to see if we still play the bend not break defence or maybe we are a lot more aggressive.
Old 10.09.2018, 02:29 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
nearly every off season we worry about a lack of depth somewhere and by December we are front runners for a 1st round play-off bye so think we should trust GM Belichick has either got it right or will be tweaking the back end of the roster when needed.

having a new DC will be the big thing to watch to see if we still play the bend not break defence or maybe we are a lot more aggressive.
Thought the Defence definitely looked a lot better last night, especially at the front. How much that was down to the Texans OL being poor and how much was down to us being much improved I'm not sure, but thought we looked really good.

Cornerbacks covered really well last night as well, which reminded me a little of our Superbowl season with Browner and Revis. Again, I'm not sure that they were tested massively last night, but what they had to do, they did really well.

If we can cover like that all season, it will definitely give us a bit more time to try and get to the QB :-)

On the Offence I thought we looked so so. Dorsett looked impressive but Hogan seemed non existent, and Gronk is just Gronk :-)
Will be interesting to see how we do against the Jags next week, because last night we seemed a lot more run focused than in previous years, but I'm not sure we'll have any success with the run against the Jags.

Today I feel much more optimistic about the season ahead :-)
Old 10.09.2018, 05:57 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuqertrfc View Post
Thought the Defence definitely looked a lot better last night, especially at the front. How much that was down to the Texans OL being poor and how much was down to us being much improved I'm not sure, but thought we looked really good.

Cornerbacks covered really well last night as well, which reminded me a little of our Superbowl season with Browner and Revis. Again, I'm not sure that they were tested massively last night, but what they had to do, they did really well.

If we can cover like that all season, it will definitely give us a bit more time to try and get to the QB :-)

On the Offence I thought we looked so so. Dorsett looked impressive but Hogan seemed non existent, and Gronk is just Gronk :-)
Will be interesting to see how we do against the Jags next week, because last night we seemed a lot more run focused than in previous years, but I'm not sure we'll have any success with the run against the Jags.

Today I feel much more optimistic about the season ahead :-)
with Hogan I think he will have better game's against teams without the great pass rushers the Texans have,he needs play action to get open and sure yesterdays game plan was to get the ball out of Brady's hands as early as possible.

only saw about 5% of the game as NFL gamepass was garbage yesterday so only got the odd play then delayed Romo/Nantz so not sure how things really looked apart from the score line.
Old 14.09.2018, 07:47 AM
All Pro

I'm feeling good about this season - I think we have real good depth in most positions, and the defence looks much improved with some astute additions (like Shelton and Clayborn) as well as the continued development of players like Flowers/Wise/Rowe, and finally the return of Hightower and seeming emergence of Bentley. Also we finally got rid of Jordan Richards!!!

It's a real shame Wynn got injured - because with him I would have been really confident in our OL being a top 5-10 unit all season even with injuries, but without him we are needing some luck with injuries at OT. Brown got off to a very good start at LT this past week.

Weapons wise - I think we'll be ok because we know how to effectively use role players like Dorsett and Patterson, alongside our bevvy of RBs and of course Gronk. Looking forward to seeing Jacob Hollister when he returns from injury too, they were very excited about him all off season and we could do with a TE behind Gronk who can catch (with Allen being almost exclusively a blocking TE now).

We do have a tough schedule this season - so I think we're looking at a 10/11 win season, and potentially missing a bye for the first time in a while
Old 18.09.2018, 02:20 PM
Team Captain

The Jags game was disappointing :-(
The defence didn't really show any improvement from last years game vs the Jags and it was very much like the game plan the Eagles played against us in the Super Bowl.
Stay aggressive and pass on us. We couldn't get them off the field other than in the 3rd quarter!!!

What do people think of the Josh Gordon trade?
Can Bill do what the Browns couldn't and get him focused on football?
Potentially a great weapon for Brady.
Old 22.09.2018, 05:35 PM
MVP

the Jags result was very disappointing but also think it took the Jags to play an almost perfect game on offence and when we lost Flowers/Chung our defence struggled to keep Bortles in the pocket and cover easy crossing routes.

still got to remember Burkhead missed all of practice so wasn't much of a factor and Michel is still catching up after missing time with his knee injury so the running game was pretty poor as we still haven't got the balance right with Hill out.

Week 5 we could have a healthy and more developed in our playbook Gordon and Edelman back so if we can beat the Lions/Dolphins it will still be a good start.