Holy Toledo ... How 'bout dem Raiders - Page 1084 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Oakland Raiders

  #10831  
Old 23.10.2010, 02:36 PM
hanuma2's Avatar
hanuma2 hanuma2 is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 23.08.2005
Posts: 6,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright_blue_shorts View Post
Still think we have a defense?
Houston and McClain are good rookies, Seymour and Shaughnessy are very good Defensive Linemen, Kelly is decent, Asomugha is a superstar, Branch still looks like the best safety we've had since Rod Woodson, Mitchell shows promise, but the rest are all terribly inconsistent or generally poor. It means there is no chance for rotation and in a largely man2man system we will get punished again and again for individual weaknesses.

Same story year after year after year.
Reply With Quote
  #10832  
Old 23.10.2010, 06:02 PM
Smograider's Avatar
Smograider Smograider is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 22.08.2009
Posts: 5,821
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanuma2 View Post
Houston and McClain are good rookies, Seymour and Shaughnessy are very good Defensive Linemen, Kelly is decent, Asomugha is a superstar, Branch still looks like the best safety we've had since Rod Woodson, Mitchell shows promise, but the rest are all terribly inconsistent or generally poor. It means there is no chance for rotation and in a largely man2man system we will get punished again and again for individual weaknesses.

Same story year after year after year.
Can't agree at all about Branch this year. He has been consistently caught out of position, has looked awful in coverage, over pursues on just about every ball carrier, and can't tackle. Mitchell has shown promise of late - here's hoping he soon replaces Branch. Branch has looked like every other Raiders safety of recent years (except Woodson) - a complete waste of space. If only Branch was half as good as he thinks he is. As for Huff; well .. see Branch above.

Somewhat ironically, our pass D has actually had the biggest problems when in zone this year. The Raiders safeties in particular, just do not know how to play it at the moment.

Tommy Kelly? I'm sorry, but if you think his level play, represents a 'decent' return on his contract - you are deluded.
Reply With Quote
  #10833  
Old 23.10.2010, 11:38 PM
hanuma2's Avatar
hanuma2 hanuma2 is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 23.08.2005
Posts: 6,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smograider View Post
Can't agree at all about Branch this year.
Good that he's played more than one season then.

Quote:
Tommy Kelly? I'm sorry, but if you think his level play, represents a 'decent' return on his contract - you are deluded.
Good that I didn't say that then.
Reply With Quote
  #10834  
Old 24.10.2010, 10:37 PM
bright_blue_shorts's Avatar
bright_blue_shorts bright_blue_shorts is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 19.09.2003
Posts: 3,762
Default

It's cherrypicking performances but DeAngelo Hall had 4 ints this afternoon for Washington against Chicago.

He was so wrong for the Oakland system yet I believe he's performed for Washington which really shows our coaching up.
Reply With Quote
  #10835  
Old 24.10.2010, 11:52 PM
hanuma2's Avatar
hanuma2 hanuma2 is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 23.08.2005
Posts: 6,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright_blue_shorts View Post
It's cherrypicking performances but DeAngelo Hall had 4 ints this afternoon for Washington against Chicago.

He was so wrong for the Oakland system yet I believe he's performed for Washington which really shows our coaching up.
How many corners have actually looked really good for us with any consistency in the last 10 years? Two perhaps...Asomugha and C.Woodson, arguably the best corners of their respective generations.
Reply With Quote
  #10836  
Old 26.10.2010, 12:00 PM
SuperRaider's Avatar
SuperRaider SuperRaider is offline
Team Captain
 
Join Date: 30.10.2005
Posts: 291
Default

I will say this; the Raiders are playing some good football this year; I do think the offensive line is improving, slowly but improving...

Doesn't say much but the Raiders should have beaten the 49ers and the Cardinals, which would have made the Raiders a 5-2 team.

I know the Raiders still need work; but I am seeing improvement
Reply With Quote
  #10837  
Old 26.10.2010, 03:49 PM
hanuma2's Avatar
hanuma2 hanuma2 is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 23.08.2005
Posts: 6,925
Default

That OLine is key to so much though, we've just been used to complete incompetence for years and years.

Veldheer showed against Denver what a competent NFL Left Tackle does against sub-par front 7's, something Mario Henderson simply cannot do. I'm not sure Veldheer is a 10 year all-pro but he could be a huge upgrade on the likes of Barry Sims, Kwame Harris, Khalif Barnes and Mario Henderson, all at one time or other the single worst players in the NFL at the position. Gallery is set at LG and Satele is just about competent as a Center. Carlisle has actually had a decent career with us but is definitely in need of replacing. Walker is, as ever, very inconsistent.

All together that starting lineup can allow us to make some things happen, but the replacements are just plain garbage (Bruce Campbell still very raw) so injuries are a killer.

The production from our receivers (OK something that's symptomatic of other things) has been very disappointing. We have to expect Schilens and DHB to start making some plays otherwise they are just bed-blockers for other players.
Reply With Quote
  #10838  
Old 28.10.2010, 11:37 AM
SuperRaider's Avatar
SuperRaider SuperRaider is offline
Team Captain
 
Join Date: 30.10.2005
Posts: 291
Default

I think Bey was more of a bad draft pick; the Raiders would have gotten him in the 2nd round...but he really has been the invisible man for the Raiders.

Maybe he will improve into a decent wide-out, but Murphy is the one that is really standing out over Bey...

Do think the Raiders really need to go out and get a wide receiver next season in the Free Agency. The Raiders do not have a go to guy.
Reply With Quote
  #10839  
Old 28.10.2010, 05:58 PM
bright_blue_shorts's Avatar
bright_blue_shorts bright_blue_shorts is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 19.09.2003
Posts: 3,762
Default

DHB looking better this season. I think there's more pressure than ever for draft picks to produce immediately with the money they're being given and the possibility of free agency.

Does anyone recall that Tim Brown didn't have a 50 reception year until his 6th season in 1993! Surely we should have been expecting more out of an overall #8 draft pick with a Heisman trophy to his name ...
Reply With Quote
  #10840  
Old 28.10.2010, 06:13 PM
Smograider's Avatar
Smograider Smograider is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 22.08.2009
Posts: 5,821
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright_blue_shorts View Post
DHB looking better this season. I think there's more pressure than ever for draft picks to produce immediately with the money they're being given and the possibility of free agency.

Does anyone recall that Tim Brown didn't have a 50 reception year until his 6th season in 1993! Surely we should have been expecting more out of an overall #8 draft pick with a Heisman trophy to his name ...
Ah yes, but Brown had 43 receptions in his rookie year. He had 49 in year 5.

To my mind, DHB has not looked better this year - He should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as Tim Brown - never mind being in the same league as a receiver.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 06:46 PM.