Holy Toledo ... How 'bout dem Raiders - Page 134 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Oakland Raiders

Old 10.01.2007, 01:35 PM
All Pro

Default Re:Holy Toledo ... How 'bout dem Raiders

Trestman left because he was going to get fired, that was the year Raiders went to the superbowl and then he was on the team the next season when Callahan got fired because of bad record.

I am hearing that Mad Mike want to come to Oakland for the Head Coaching job; this deal might work with Ryan running the defense while Mad Mike run the offense. Kitna got 4000 passing yards under this guy on the Detriot team.
Old 10.01.2007, 01:39 PM
Hall of Fame

[quote author=SuperRaider link=board=1;threadid=10138;start=1320#msg580768 date=1168436127]
Trestman left because he was going to get fired, that was the year Raiders went to the superbowl and then he was on the team the next season when Callahan got fired because of bad record.

I am hearing that Mad Mike want to come to Oakland for the Head Coaching job; this deal might work with Ryan running the defense while Mad Mike run the offense. Kitna got 4000 passing yards under this guy on the Detriot team.
[/quote]

And they won 3 games, under no circumstance do i want Mad Mike, even as an OC, its just a matter of time before his ego would undermine Ryan and everyone else, not to mention we may as well start every game with zero timeouts BC of his bonehead time management.
Old 10.01.2007, 01:47 PM
Hall of Fame

Thats the thing, Kitna did throw for a ton of yards but also made a ton of ints and threw for a ton of yards also as the Lions were trailing in a lot of games and they were playing catchup.

Martz i wouldnt dislike despite hearing some bad press about him, the defense is fine, we need someone to sort out the offense and whether thats Martz or Saskitchen (Sp!), as long as that guy sorts out the offense i'll be happy

But back to Gallery, i didnt see him in college at all, heard the press about him. I know the draft is a case of win some/lose some but with the 2nd overall pick i'm quite gutted we drafted a player who so far hasnt lived up to his billing. If he wants to give back some of his salary/bonus to help the Raiders cap then thats great, but due to his poor play and him making so much money its no wonder many Raider fans are harsh on him. But you should care whether Gallery is a bust or not, if Oakland dont draft a bust with the 2nd overall pick we could be so much better if we had a quality player capable of starting for the next 10 years
Old 10.01.2007, 03:51 PM
MVP

[quote author=psj3809 link=board=1;threadid=10138;start=1320#msg580777 date=1168436823]But back to Gallery, i didnt see him in college at all, heard the press about him. I know the draft is a case of win some/lose some but with the 2nd overall pick i'm quite gutted we drafted a player who so far hasnt lived up to his billing.[/quote] But you shouldn't care about his billing or what people predicted. "Don't believe the hype" is a phrase more valid in these NFL drafts than anywhere else surely.

Quote:
If he wants to give back some of his salary/bonus to help the Raiders cap then thats great, but due to his poor play and him making so much money its no wonder many Raider fans are harsh on him.
If a player is playing poorly it shouldn't matter what money they're on. The thing that's crazy about these rookies is that we have no real evidence to go by when we judge them. It's completely unfair to judge a player by what position they are drafted in.

Just as it was dumb for people to have judged Drogba at Chelsea by his price tag or whatever.

Quote:
But you should care whether Gallery is a bust or not, if Oakland dont draft a bust with the 2nd overall pick we could be so much better if we had a quality player capable of starting for the next 10 years
It's swings and roundabouts. You just can't make a sensible prediction. There has been too many consensus greats turned to busts and too many nobodies turned to heroes for anyone to really say they have a clue about what these drafts are going to end up like.

I'd say Morrison, Boothe, Asomugha, Washington, Huff, Howard, Lechler, Carr, Fargas (to an extent) and even Porter and Gabriel at times, have been good draft picks.

Grove, Walker, Gallery, Gibson maybe McQuistan, Walter admittedly haven't been good for us, but you couldn't say any of them were particularly bad decisions on the Raiders part, because there was so little to go by when they made their choice and what there was to go on was generally positive.

Old 10.01.2007, 04:00 PM
Hall of Fame

I didnt believe the hype, i heard it for sure but not seeing any of his college career i didnt have much to go on. When theres crazy talk about 'best lineman since...' i cant see how they can say that when the players never played one down in the NFL.

By 'his billing' then i dont just mean his status coming out of college but also his money. If Gallery didnt want all the pressure then accept a 450k a year deal with incentives if he makes the Pro Bowl to make it up to 6 mill a year etc.

You sign that piece of paper with 10+ mill guaranteed and the pressure is on you instantly.
Old 10.01.2007, 04:03 PM
MVP

[quote author=psj3809 link=board=1;threadid=10138;start=1320#msg580843 date=1168444813]
By 'his billing' then i dont just mean his status coming out of college but also his money. If Gallery didnt want all the pressure then accept a 450k a year deal with incentives if he makes the Pro Bowl to make it up to 6 mill a year etc.

You sign that piece of paper with 10+ mill guaranteed and the pressure is on you instantly.
[/quote]
Oh comeon...What's he supposed to say?

"Well gee Al, it's awfully nice of ya, but I don't think I'm worth it.....also, I'm a freakin idiot!!!"

No. The hype was not his fault, the fact that people wanted him was not his fault. He was told to play well at College, he did. He was told to play well in the NFL, he has struggled.

It only becomes more complicated than that if you think that in some crazy way he owes the organisation 10 years of good play for the calculated risk they DIDN'T HAVE TO TAKE on him.
Old 10.01.2007, 05:10 PM
Hall of Fame

I dont understand why youre sticking up for him so much, at the end of the day hes a highly drafted player who played great in college who has heading towards a flop status in the NFL.

Forget 'its not his fault he was drafted high' etc, could say that about tons of players in the past, at the end of the day hes gonna be a great pick or a bust
Old 10.01.2007, 06:33 PM
MVP

Why are you guys debating Gallery? I think you can have much more fun talking about Martz as your potential head coach.
Old 10.01.2007, 07:06 PM
Hall of Fame

I understand Hanuma's assertion that a player is a player and regardless of where he is drafted you can only hope for the best and thus not label him a "bust"

"Busts" can be offset by finding a great 6th rounder, it all evens out when you have to pay that 6th rounder extra money on his next contract , which is what you save by cutting "Busts"

Howeverthis argument falls down as some teams get more production out of thier draft choices than others, thats the real difference between winners and losers . Look at the Patriots who always find value in the late rounds, esp with linemen, plus their early picks are rarely busts, Wolfork, Seymour etc , They very rarely draft a player with Gallery type underachievement

Thier ratio of miss to hit is far better than other teams, its no coincidence they are consistant winners.

The real reason everyone is down on Gallery is BC he hasnt even shown he can be competitive, let alone be a dominant lineman, the other top 5 or 10 picked linemen over the years who are not busts, and the Fitzgeralds and Rivers of this world who were drafted with him just pile on even more pressure.and exagerrate his crapiness
Old 10.01.2007, 09:27 PM
All Pro

Gallery: I think the Raiders have to give this guy some time before you really label him a bust. The Raiders offense as a whole is bad; and you see almost every team blitzes the Raiders on a lot of plays.

Plus Gallery has played in a very unstable enviroment; now it will be three different head coaches in four years for him.