New York Jets Thread - Page 775 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Sponsored Links

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #7741  
Old 13.11.2017, 02:18 AM
wayne ellis's Avatar
wayne ellis wayne ellis is online now
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 31.10.2005
Location: Letchworth
Posts: 21,708
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-e-t-s12 View Post
A new low for me. Where do we go from here? The o isn't up to it. The qb isn't up to it. The defence is penalty prone when it matters.

Start petty #1 priority.
Why I wanted us to tank this season. McCown (like Fitz) will have the odd good game, but he's nothing more than a stop gap. We're crying out for a true franchise QB, and we're now probably going to have to splash out on one in FA.

With our OL being as bad as it is, putting Petty in seems redundant. He'd get killed behind that bunch of turnstiles. This one is wholly on the Offense for me, made one of the worst Defenses in the league look like world beaters...
Sponsored Links
  #7742  
Old 13.11.2017, 08:53 AM
james2312's Avatar
james2312 james2312 is offline
Starter
 
Join Date: 27.07.2011
Posts: 154
Default

Would cut Skrine in the summer for sure and swallow the $ 6 Million Deadcap he is a walking penalty and gets beat more times than he flashes - With the likes of Vontae Davis and alot of Mid-Tier CBs currently projects to hit UFA in 18 I think he can go.

Ijalana has to go - doesn't even start and 6th highest paid player on the team

While I was hoping Shell would make the leave (and FO seems to be high on him) his name seemingly only gets called when he is beat and Qvale has seriously outplayed him in recent weeks and despite being an UFA and not a "Mac guy" should get the starting gig at RT.

I think Bowles gives McCown one more week after the bye (but uses this to prep Petty/Hack) as lose that and the best we can do is .500 which isn't going to be playoffs so if one of the young QBs really tanks the team they can't be accused of throwing the season away with the call.

Anyone else pick up on the commentary of last nights game that the D (rightly so) were giving the Offence a bollocking in the 3rd Quarter for two quick 3 and outs after there stoppages.
  #7743  
Old 13.11.2017, 09:00 AM
Jetupandgo's Avatar
Jetupandgo Jetupandgo is online now
All Pro
 
Join Date: 29.11.2012
Posts: 2,149
Default

Not sure any QB would have helped that putrid performance. Bad game plan, OL got owned, receivers couldn't get open, drops, etc. Just bad all round. D played OK I suppose. We are still a bad team and that is what I expected most games to be like this year. Its the first time they have come out and looked lost, which is still a positive overall providing it remains a one-off.

Bad time for a bye week imo. They need to get up and go again after that.
  #7744  
Old 13.11.2017, 09:08 AM
j-e-t-s12 j-e-t-s12 is online now
Starter
 
Join Date: 09.05.2017
Posts: 113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Why I wanted us to tank this season. McCown (like Fitz) will have the odd good game, but he's nothing more than a stop gap. We're crying out for a true franchise QB, and we're now probably going to have to splash out on one in FA.

With our OL being as bad as it is, putting Petty in seems redundant. He'd get killed behind that bunch of turnstiles. This one is wholly on the Offense for me, made one of the worst Defenses in the league look like world beaters...
2nd, 3rd and 4th that. The o line in the main issue for me. Fitzpatrick in 2015 showed what even a below average qb can do. It's restricting us from giving petty and hack a fair shot.

Prob beat Carolina in two weeks...
  #7745  
Old 13.11.2017, 09:16 AM
Jetupandgo's Avatar
Jetupandgo Jetupandgo is online now
All Pro
 
Join Date: 29.11.2012
Posts: 2,149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2312 View Post
Would cut Skrine in the summer for sure and swallow the $ 6 Million Deadcap he is a walking penalty and gets beat more times than he flashes - With the likes of Vontae Davis and alot of Mid-Tier CBs currently projects to hit UFA in 18 I think he can go.

Ijalana has to go - doesn't even start and 6th highest paid player on the team

While I was hoping Shell would make the leave (and FO seems to be high on him) his name seemingly only gets called when he is beat and Qvale has seriously outplayed him in recent weeks and despite being an UFA and not a "Mac guy" should get the starting gig at RT.

I think Bowles gives McCown one more week after the bye (but uses this to prep Petty/Hack) as lose that and the best we can do is .500 which isn't going to be playoffs so if one of the young QBs really tanks the team they can't be accused of throwing the season away with the call.

Anyone else pick up on the commentary of last nights game that the D (rightly so) were giving the Offence a bollocking in the 3rd Quarter for two quick 3 and outs after there stoppages.
The biggest issue on the OL seems to be Centre. Pass rushers coming through the middle unblocked far too often and runners are getting hit behind the LoS far too often when we try running up the middle. I thought Shell was OK to be honest, the mistakes didn't seem to be that many on the right side of the line, though he needs to improve pass blocking for sure.
  #7746  
Old 13.11.2017, 02:08 PM
james2312's Avatar
james2312 james2312 is offline
Starter
 
Join Date: 27.07.2011
Posts: 154
Default

Agreed Johnson is definately not a first tier starting C in this league and was rather thrust into the job this year as we had no-one else!

As I have said many times Fulton is potentially available this Spring from the Chiefs and would take a punt on him to beef up the line with some experience.

I have no idea what the Draft looks like for centres but given it is generally not a glamour position we could possibly get in the top 2-3 picks of the draft using one of our multiple 2nd rounders if of course the talent is there....oh for there to be another Cody Whitehair sitting there in the 2nd Round !!!
  #7747  
Old 13.11.2017, 06:20 PM
wayne ellis's Avatar
wayne ellis wayne ellis is online now
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 31.10.2005
Location: Letchworth
Posts: 21,708
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2312 View Post
Agreed Johnson is definately not a first tier starting C in this league and was rather thrust into the job this year as we had no-one else!

As I have said many times Fulton is potentially available this Spring from the Chiefs and would take a punt on him to beef up the line with some experience.

I have no idea what the Draft looks like for centres but given it is generally not a glamour position we could possibly get in the top 2-3 picks of the draft using one of our multiple 2nd rounders if of course the talent is there....oh for there to be another Cody Whitehair sitting there in the 2nd Round !!!
That one still hurts, was such an obvious pick but we went for Hack...
  #7748  
Old 14.11.2017, 09:33 AM
j-e-t-s12 j-e-t-s12 is online now
Starter
 
Join Date: 09.05.2017
Posts: 113
Default

At least the panthers don't look too hot at the moment...

Although tbh i wouldn't be surprised if we keep it close and subsequently McCown is talked about as the next Namath. Ok, a slight exaggeration, but still. Do wonder if a proper thumping, 40-3 might be a lot better in the long run.
  #7749  
Old 19.11.2017, 09:31 PM
j-e-t-s12 j-e-t-s12 is online now
Starter
 
Join Date: 09.05.2017
Posts: 113
Default

Read a speculative article suggesting we are one of three teams who could possibly host the Packers in London next year. Can't see it personally, although metlife hasn't exactly been packed recently. (Although appreciate that's people not showing up rather than ticket sales)
  #7750  
Old 22.11.2017, 03:05 PM
stocksy's Avatar
stocksy stocksy is online now
MVP
 
Join Date: 25.10.2008
Posts: 6,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetupandgo View Post
A note of caution though. The thing with these mid-tier QBs is you will likely get one shot, two if you're really lucky, in a career. Flacco got lucky, he got really hot one postseason while his D played lights out for Lewis' swansong. How many times have the Ravens been serious contenders since? They have their QB and one of, if not the, best FOs in the league and they aren't perennial contenders really.

Rivers in comparison hasn't had the same luck and the Chargers have been perpetual underachievers. Everything has got to come together to win, even with a top QB - how often has Brees missed postseason in recent years? A mid tier QB probably gets you 2 or 3 more wins in an average year. Enough to scrape into postseason on average, miss out with 5/6 wins in a bad year but have a real shot a couple of times in a decade. Cousins, Bradford, Bridgewater, etc are they really better than Flacco and Rivers? Just getting one of these guys doesn't make us into a winner, even in a good scheme. Having a really strong team around them gives us a shot, an outside shot in all likelihood and probably just one. That's all.

This has kinda been my point for years though, we don't need a Brady or a Manning and us seemingly dismantling teams over and over and changing QBs every time they have a bad game is what is killing us. Even with Brady we wouldn't have won anything if we behaved the same.

For me - pick a young(ish) but not wet behind the ears guy, then build a team round him to win, trust the guy - and don't blame him every time we lose - teams lose every season even Super Bowl winners.

Lets get a solid dependable guy that can control games and go no huddle when needed but then trust him... get him good targets young and old. Get a decent Jets D built. Draft better... don't reach for a QB in first few rounds every year (ditto for secondary)

Everyone to do with Jets and the media only seem interested in getting a once in a life time number 1 pick QB... Im over it... give me a middling talent and lets equip ourselves to win with him.

Is Wilson really an elite talent? Eli? Flacco? there are more...

lets just get our guy and trust him, give our next guy a few years and a good solid few drafts and FA builds and see what happens.

If it doesn't work don't burn down the roster... don't make us all about the QB...

and stop going for late 30 something perennial losers
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 01:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
 
Copyright © 2016