New To College Football - Page 13 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NCAA College Football

Old 09.04.2012, 06:51 PM
Pro Bowler

College football games are almost all on a Saturday, while NFL games are on the Sunday. San Diego and LA are only about 130 miles apart (2h30m ish), so you could fit in a college game and an NFL one.

Here are the relevant schedules of the 3 teams...

San Diego Aztecs
http://goaztecs.cstv.com/sports/m-fo...tbl-sched.html

USC Trojans
http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/m-f...tbl-sched.html

UCLA Bruins
http://www.uclabruins.com/sports/m-f...tbl-sched.html

Failing that, southern California has a pretty vibrant high school football scene. They play on Friday nights. Unfortunately, I'm not the person to ask about which match-ups might be big, but as I understand it some games there get 7 or 8,000, and you might be seeing a little slice of American culture that you're not familiar with.

If you have Sky Atlantic, they're showing the series Friday Night Lights at the moment, which might give you some sort of idea. The plot lines are a little dramatic, but the portrayal of how much the locals care isn't really (according to my ex-missus anyway).
Old 09.04.2012, 07:16 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrade View Post
College football games are almost all on a Saturday, while NFL games are on the Sunday. San Diego and LA are only about 130 miles apart (2h30m ish), so you could fit in a college game and an NFL one.

Here are the relevant schedules of the 3 teams...

San Diego Aztecs
http://goaztecs.cstv.com/sports/m-fo...tbl-sched.html

USC Trojans
http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/m-f...tbl-sched.html

UCLA Bruins
http://www.uclabruins.com/sports/m-f...tbl-sched.html

Failing that, southern California has a pretty vibrant high school football scene. They play on Friday nights. Unfortunately, I'm not the person to ask about which match-ups might be big, but as I understand it some games there get 7 or 8,000, and you might be seeing a little slice of American culture that you're not familiar with.

If you have Sky Atlantic, they're showing the series Friday Night Lights at the moment, which might give you some sort of idea. The plot lines are a little dramatic, but the portrayal of how much the locals care isn't really (according to my ex-missus anyway).
Thanks a lot for your help, the only thing I have planned so far is we're flying into LAX on the Tuesday, so we can work out which city we'll be in each weekend once the NFL schedule is released. Also, really enjoying Friday Night Lights. Amazing how a whole community rally round for a high school team!
Old 10.04.2012, 07:55 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carps View Post
Thanks a lot for your help, the only thing I have planned so far is we're flying into LAX on the Tuesday, so we can work out which city we'll be in each weekend once the NFL schedule is released. Also, really enjoying Friday Night Lights. Amazing how a whole community rally round for a high school team!
True. For years I saw that sort of thing in films and just dismissed it as artistic licence, but it really isn't. With respect to fans, although the numbers are much bigger for each NFL team, the level of passion seems to be much bigger at college and high school level.
Old 10.04.2012, 09:57 AM
All Pro

Are there many college teams with big defenses? the impression I get is that its all high scoring offences and so on
Old 10.04.2012, 11:58 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oselly View Post
Are there many college teams with big defenses? the impression I get is that its all high scoring offences and so on
The National Championship game was fought out between two of the best college defences in 2011.
LSU the #1 seed, were the best D all season. Their O was very mediocre.
Alabama won the title with a top defensive performance. Not allowing LSU to cross the halfwayline until late in the game.
Old 19.04.2012, 06:05 AM
Rookie

I've been stalking this board for quite some time learning from the community and finally decided to post too I appreciate your sharing the latest info and helping folks like me to get the idea of college football. Thanks a bunch!
Old 15.08.2012, 07:43 PM
Pro

Thanks for all this info on college football.

Have been wanting to get into it for a while and after spending an hour trawling this thread I feel like I will be a lot better prepared when the season starts next month.

Now just to pick a team to follow, any recommendations on who's looking good/interesting for the upcoming season?
Old 15.08.2012, 08:30 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhGoodGrief View Post
Thanks for all this info on college football.

Have been wanting to get into it for a while and after spending an hour trawling this thread I feel like I will be a lot better prepared when the season starts next month.

Now just to pick a team to follow, any recommendations on who's looking good/interesting for the upcoming season?
Every team is interesting in its own way. Depends what you're looking for in a team.

Do they have to be clean off the field?
Do you prefer running or passing?
Do you like offense or defense?
Do you want a college where you can follow a lot of players onto the NFL?
Do you want a team in a particular area of the country- either for some personal connection or because it's easier to watch their games?
Do you have a player in the NFL you particularly connect to that you can pick their alma mater to follow?
Old 15.08.2012, 09:18 PM
Rookie

what would my choices be in the state of georgia?
Old 15.08.2012, 09:57 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflfan2012 View Post
what would my choices be in the state of georgia?
Mainly Georgia or Georgia Tech. Georgia Southern is another, but they're not worth the time. I'm sure there are others, but no more major colleges, certainly not that spring to mind immediately.