New To College Football - Page 13 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NCAA College Football

  #121  
Old 09.04.2012, 06:51 PM
comrade's Avatar
comrade comrade is offline
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: 20.10.2010
Posts: 710
Default

College football games are almost all on a Saturday, while NFL games are on the Sunday. San Diego and LA are only about 130 miles apart (2h30m ish), so you could fit in a college game and an NFL one.

Here are the relevant schedules of the 3 teams...

San Diego Aztecs
http://goaztecs.cstv.com/sports/m-fo...tbl-sched.html

USC Trojans
http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/m-f...tbl-sched.html

UCLA Bruins
http://www.uclabruins.com/sports/m-f...tbl-sched.html

Failing that, southern California has a pretty vibrant high school football scene. They play on Friday nights. Unfortunately, I'm not the person to ask about which match-ups might be big, but as I understand it some games there get 7 or 8,000, and you might be seeing a little slice of American culture that you're not familiar with.

If you have Sky Atlantic, they're showing the series Friday Night Lights at the moment, which might give you some sort of idea. The plot lines are a little dramatic, but the portrayal of how much the locals care isn't really (according to my ex-missus anyway).
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 09.04.2012, 07:16 PM
Carps's Avatar
Carps Carps is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 03.01.2010
Posts: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrade View Post
College football games are almost all on a Saturday, while NFL games are on the Sunday. San Diego and LA are only about 130 miles apart (2h30m ish), so you could fit in a college game and an NFL one.

Here are the relevant schedules of the 3 teams...

San Diego Aztecs
http://goaztecs.cstv.com/sports/m-fo...tbl-sched.html

USC Trojans
http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/m-f...tbl-sched.html

UCLA Bruins
http://www.uclabruins.com/sports/m-f...tbl-sched.html

Failing that, southern California has a pretty vibrant high school football scene. They play on Friday nights. Unfortunately, I'm not the person to ask about which match-ups might be big, but as I understand it some games there get 7 or 8,000, and you might be seeing a little slice of American culture that you're not familiar with.

If you have Sky Atlantic, they're showing the series Friday Night Lights at the moment, which might give you some sort of idea. The plot lines are a little dramatic, but the portrayal of how much the locals care isn't really (according to my ex-missus anyway).
Thanks a lot for your help, the only thing I have planned so far is we're flying into LAX on the Tuesday, so we can work out which city we'll be in each weekend once the NFL schedule is released. Also, really enjoying Friday Night Lights. Amazing how a whole community rally round for a high school team!
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 10.04.2012, 07:55 AM
comrade's Avatar
comrade comrade is offline
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: 20.10.2010
Posts: 710
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carps View Post
Thanks a lot for your help, the only thing I have planned so far is we're flying into LAX on the Tuesday, so we can work out which city we'll be in each weekend once the NFL schedule is released. Also, really enjoying Friday Night Lights. Amazing how a whole community rally round for a high school team!
True. For years I saw that sort of thing in films and just dismissed it as artistic licence, but it really isn't. With respect to fans, although the numbers are much bigger for each NFL team, the level of passion seems to be much bigger at college and high school level.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 10.04.2012, 09:57 AM
Oselly's Avatar
Oselly Oselly is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 15.05.2007
Posts: 1,178
Default

Are there many college teams with big defenses? the impression I get is that its all high scoring offences and so on
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 10.04.2012, 11:58 AM
Northern Soul's Avatar
Northern Soul Northern Soul is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 15.10.2006
Posts: 6,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oselly View Post
Are there many college teams with big defenses? the impression I get is that its all high scoring offences and so on
The National Championship game was fought out between two of the best college defences in 2011.
LSU the #1 seed, were the best D all season. Their O was very mediocre.
Alabama won the title with a top defensive performance. Not allowing LSU to cross the halfwayline until late in the game.
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 19.04.2012, 06:05 AM
StarkT StarkT is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: 18.04.2012
Posts: 1
Default

I've been stalking this board for quite some time learning from the community and finally decided to post too I appreciate your sharing the latest info and helping folks like me to get the idea of college football. Thanks a bunch!
_______________________
make your own word search
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 15.08.2012, 07:43 PM
OhGoodGrief's Avatar
OhGoodGrief OhGoodGrief is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 15.08.2012
Posts: 47
Default

Thanks for all this info on college football.

Have been wanting to get into it for a while and after spending an hour trawling this thread I feel like I will be a lot better prepared when the season starts next month.

Now just to pick a team to follow, any recommendations on who's looking good/interesting for the upcoming season?
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 15.08.2012, 08:30 PM
mde203's Avatar
mde203 mde203 is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 29.12.2008
Posts: 6,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhGoodGrief View Post
Thanks for all this info on college football.

Have been wanting to get into it for a while and after spending an hour trawling this thread I feel like I will be a lot better prepared when the season starts next month.

Now just to pick a team to follow, any recommendations on who's looking good/interesting for the upcoming season?
Every team is interesting in its own way. Depends what you're looking for in a team.

Do they have to be clean off the field?
Do you prefer running or passing?
Do you like offense or defense?
Do you want a college where you can follow a lot of players onto the NFL?
Do you want a team in a particular area of the country- either for some personal connection or because it's easier to watch their games?
Do you have a player in the NFL you particularly connect to that you can pick their alma mater to follow?
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 15.08.2012, 09:18 PM
nflfan2012's Avatar
nflfan2012 nflfan2012 is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: 15.08.2012
Posts: 22
Default

what would my choices be in the state of georgia?
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 15.08.2012, 09:57 PM
mde203's Avatar
mde203 mde203 is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 29.12.2008
Posts: 6,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflfan2012 View Post
what would my choices be in the state of georgia?
Mainly Georgia or Georgia Tech. Georgia Southern is another, but they're not worth the time. I'm sure there are others, but no more major colleges, certainly not that spring to mind immediately.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 02:15 PM.