** The 2014 Free Agency Signings Thread ** - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Sponsored Links

Old 09.03.2014, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Default ** The 2014 Free Agency Signings Thread **

March 11th is fast approaching - the start of the 2014 NFL League Season - when Free Agency and Trades officially begin.

This will be the thread to post all the actual FA signings as they come in thick and fast over the next few days and weeks. The big-name signings like Jairus Byrd can of course have their own thread but for the most part it will save the forum being filled with 'Team X sign Long Snapper' type threads appearing everywhere.

Players who have been released from their contracts are free, and have been free, to sign with a team at any time. eg) D'Qwell Jackson, Red Bryant.

From Saturday at noon EST, until the new league year officially starts on Tuesday night at 8pm GMT, a window of negotiation or 'legal tampering' has opened to allow teams to negotiate with agents for all UFAs, though actually agreeing on the terms of a deal is not allowed. Up to this point, teams have only been allowed to talk to their own free agents.

Q. When does the 2014 free agency signing period begin?
A. At 4pm. ET on Tuesday, March 11. (8pm UK time)

Q. What is permitted during the new three-day negotiating period prior to the start of free agency?
A. Beginning at noon EST on Saturday, March 8 and ending at 3:59:59 p.m. ET on Tuesday, March 11, clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into negotiations with, the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2013 Player Contracts at 4pm. ET on March 11. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4pm. EST on March 11.

During this negotiation period, a prospective Unrestricted Free Agent cannot visit a club (other than the player's current club) at its permanent facility or at any other location, and no direct contact is permitted between the player and any employee or representative of a club (other than the player's current club). If a player is self-represented, clubs are prohibited from discussions with the player during the negotiating period.

Clubs (other than the player's current club) may not discuss or make any travel arrangements with prospective Unrestricted Free Agent players, their certified agents, or anyone else associated with the player until the expiration of those players' 2013 Player Contracts at 4 p.m. ET on March 11.

The three-day negotiating period applies only to potential Unrestricted Free Agents; it does not apply to players who are potential Exclusive Rights Players or Restricted Free Agents, or to players who have been designated as Franchise Players or Transition Players.

Last edited by boknows34; 10.03.2014 at 03:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09.03.2014, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Free Agency Rumour Mill:

Profootballtalk.com reports "all signs" are pointing toward free agent LT Branden Albert signing with the Dolphins when the market opens Tuesday.

The Packers are "among those interested" in free agent DEs Lamarr Houston and Arthur Jones.

The Houston Chronicle reports the Texans "won't be trading for" QB Ryan Mallett.

The Patriots are expected to make a decision on Danny Amendola's roster spot by Tuesday.

The Chicago Tribune reports the Buccaneers are making a "hard push" to sign free agent DE Michael Johnson. ESPN Chicago reports Johnson is also "on the Bears' radar."

Free agent RB Rashard Mendenhall is telling teams he's retiring.

The National Football Post reports the Falcons have "an extremely high degree of interest" in free agent G Jon Asamoah.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Rams have inquired on free agent Jairus Byrd.

The NY Daily News reports CB Alterraun Verner "isn't planning any visits," and intends to sign with a team "shortly after the market opens" on Tuesday. In addition to the Jets, Rams, Giants, Redskins, and Vikings, Verner has drawn interest from the Steelers and Lions.

rotoworld.com
Old 09.03.2014, 08:37 PM
All Pro

Interesting that the Dolphins are going after Albert, all signs were pointing to Monroe that I had been reading. Assuming this happens, this could have a big impact on the value of Monroe as the Dolphins are the only team I expect to make a huge splash at the position (I.e. I expect the Dolphins OT signing to become one of the top paid if not the top paid regardless of the players actual ability).

Could certainly improve our chances of bringing Monroe back
Old 09.03.2014, 09:12 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneddon11 View Post
Could certainly improve our chances of bringing Monroe back
I've posted this before, but i can't believe an organisation like the Ravens would give up 2 draft picks, even if they were 4th & 5th rounders, for a guy they wouldn't re-sign.

Do Ravens fans actually believe they will let him walk, even if he's a little bit more expensive than they want?

Several teams, including the Lions, have apparently inquired about T.J Ward too.

Last edited by RichardCunliffe; 09.03.2014 at 09:17 PM. Reason: TJ Ward
Old 09.03.2014, 09:28 PM
Hall of Fame

I want to see us target Davin Joseph and cut Dan Connolly. He's making too much money for a below average RG. We need a centre but there are a few in the draft I like. I'm happy with our OL if we do that.

The one annoying thing being a Patriots fan is that few rumours crop up and almost none of them come to fruition!
Old 09.03.2014, 09:36 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
I've posted this before, but i can't believe an organisation like the Ravens would give up 2 draft picks, even if they were 4th & 5th rounders, for a guy they wouldn't re-sign.

Do Ravens fans actually believe they will let him walk, even if he's a little bit more expensive than they want?

Several teams, including the Lions, have apparently inquired about T.J Ward too.
Well we don't really have a choice now, anyone who knows even the smallest detail about the Ravens FO will know that Ozzie won't chuck stupid money at anyone, I certainly hope we can get him back but I only see it happening if Monroe hits FA, discovers the market isn't going to give him $10-11 million a year and so goes back to the Ravens for $7-8 million a year a la Ray Lewis...

It will be tough if we do lose him given that we gave up a 4th + 5th for him but we could well get that back (or possibly more) next year through compensatory picks from letting him go.
Old 09.03.2014, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

It has already been mentioned in the other thread, but I'm more than happy to remind that Red Bryant has signed with the Jags
Old 09.03.2014, 09:49 PM
All Pro

Rapoport reporting Dolphins will be going after Albert (as Bo has said), Cards going after Veldheer and Raiders, Jeffery Saffold. Hard to see where the market is going to lie for Monroe if that's true, presumably he'll be second choice for a lot of teams that aren't the Ravens, of course that means they probs won't be prepared to offer as much as I think Monroe is after.
Old 09.03.2014, 09:49 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneddon11 View Post
Well we don't really have a choice now, anyone who knows even the smallest detail about the Ravens FO will know that Ozzie won't chuck stupid money at anyone, I certainly hope we can get him back but I only see it happening if Monroe hits FA, discovers the market isn't going to give him $10-11 million a year and so goes back to the Ravens for $7-8 million a year a la Ray Lewis...
Both the loss of draft picks and the big money seem to go against the Ravens philosophy, so it seems like a lose-lose scenario which is strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
It has already been mentioned in the other thread, but I'm more than happy to remind that Red Bryant has signed with the Jags
Any more FA on the Jags wishlist?
Old 09.03.2014, 09:55 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Both the loss of draft picks and the big money seem to go against the Ravens philosophy, so it seems like a lose-lose scenario which is strange.

Any more FA on the Jags wishlist?
Really ? Ravens are very much a draft first, FA second team. That's why we do so well, we nearly always get the max 4 compensatory picks letting guys go who want too much. Nearly always only sign guys who have been cut to cheap deals.

Presume you're referring to the Flacco deal, which is different as that's a franchise QB which are near impossible to replace, plus I think you can see now that that's the going rate for a top 10 QB (will look cheap come a few years with the increased cap).

The only guys who get big contracts from us are long time servers (Ngata, Suggs, Flacco etc) and it's very hard to say they have overpaid as they nearly always deserve it. Monroe has yet to prove himself as a top 5 OT so if he wants $9 million + a year than I agree with letting him go.

Losing draft picks isn't the plan, but neither is overpaying like your 'Boys and being in cap hell...

Tags
denver splash the cash , desean is a top 10 wr , eli has two rings , get some ham justin! , god hates the raiders. , i dont hate the raiders , i just dislike them , it's a trap! , legion of bill , mauve maneaters - ooh er! , no cap for saints , purple people eaters 2.0 , sb xlix gb 30 den 27 , these aren't the droids , you're looking for