** The 2014 Free Agency Signings Thread ** - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Sponsored Links

Old 09.03.2014, 10:05 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneddon11 View Post
Really ? Ravens are very much a draft first, FA second team. That's why we do so well, we nearly always get the max 4 compensatory picks letting guys go who want too much. Nearly always only sign guys who have been cut to cheap deals.

Presume you're referring to the Flacco deal, which is different as that's a franchise QB which are near impossible to replace, plus I think you can see now that that's the going rate for a top 10 QB (will look cheap come a few years with the increased cap).

The only guys who get big contracts from us are long time servers (Ngata, Suggs, Flacco etc) and it's very hard to say they have overpaid as they nearly always deserve it. Monroe has yet to prove himself as a top 5 OT so if he wants $9 million + a year than I agree with letting him go.

Losing draft picks isn't the plan, but neither is overpaying like your 'Boys and being in cap hell...
That post obviously caused a little confusion. I meant that the Ravens are a well run organisation, so losing draft picks or paying over the odds isn't like them. The Monroe deal can only be resolved seemingly by EITHER letting him walk, which means you gave up 4th and 5th rounders to 'rent' an OT for 10 games, OR by paying him big money, which as you say the Ravens don't do.

The 'lose-lose' referred to the fact you have to pick one OR the other, going against your philosophy.
Sponsored Links
Old 09.03.2014, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post

Any more FA on the Jags wishlist?
Expect signings across the lines, including at least one starting guard and probably a starting centre. Possibly someone like Michael Johnson or Willie Young on D.
Old 09.03.2014, 10:30 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneddon11 View Post
Rapoport reporting Dolphins will be going after Albert (as Bo has said), Cards going after Veldheer and Raiders, Jeffery Saffold. Hard to see where the market is going to lie for Monroe if that's true, presumably he'll be second choice for a lot of teams that aren't the Ravens, of course that means they probs won't be prepared to offer as much as I think Monroe is after.
Cousin of Roger?

Veldheer is the best of those available IMO. Monroe is okay, as is Albert (who'd be an elite guard, but won't move!). Saffold is an average RT/RG.
Old 09.03.2014, 10:42 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
Expect signings across the lines, including at least one starting guard and probably a starting centre. Possibly someone like Michael Johnson or Willie Young on D.
I thought Brewster was being lined up to replace Meester, have they moved on from that idea now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnitude View Post
Cousin of Roger?

Veldheer is the best of those available IMO. Monroe is okay, as is Albert (who'd be an elite guard, but won't move!). Saffold is an average RT/RG.
I think Monroe is better than ok, maybe not elite but good. Albert won't move because he'll get paid more as a tackle.

Interested to see where Lamarr Houston ends up, strange that the Raiders don't seem to want him back.

Probably happens most years, but I wonder if some teams are waiting on others to set the market before trying to re-sign their own, instead of paying more than they have to in the first place.
Old 09.03.2014, 11:08 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnitude View Post
Cousin of Roger?

Hmm, not a clue where I was getting Jeffery from, I did a dumb dumb
Old 09.03.2014, 11:09 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
That post obviously caused a little confusion. I meant that the Ravens are a well run organisation, so losing draft picks or paying over the odds isn't like them. The Monroe deal can only be resolved seemingly by EITHER letting him walk, which means you gave up 4th and 5th rounders to 'rent' an OT for 10 games, OR by paying him big money, which as you say the Ravens don't do.

The 'lose-lose' referred to the fact you have to pick one OR the other, going against your philosophy.
Got you, my bad I read it as the Ravens often spend big in FA...
Old 09.03.2014, 11:43 PM
All Pro

The Shields/Grimes deals are certainly gonna set the market for corners like Talib. Sherman will surely look for Revis money next year...

Grimes with a guaranteed average of $16m over two years, Shields (I think) $21 over two years. Which given their respective ages/upsides, is fairly similar. Talib's age somewhere in the two, and has proven more than Shields at this point, probably means he's gonna get $12m per season I'd expect.

Regarding Monroe, Ravens surely didn't part with the picks unless they thought they could resign him. That they haven't (yet) means either they don't think he's as good as they thought he was or that he's not as valuable as Monroe rates himself.
Old 09.03.2014, 11:51 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobjoylove View Post
The Shields/Grimes deals are certainly gonna set the market for corners like Talib. Sherman will surely look for Revis money next year...

Grimes with a guaranteed average of $16m over two years, Shields (I think) $21 over two years. Which given their respective ages/upsides, is fairly similar. Talib's age somewhere in the two, and has proven more than Shields at this point, probably means he's gonna get $12m per season I'd expect.

Regarding Monroe, Ravens surely didn't part with the picks unless they thought they could resign him. That they haven't (yet) means either they don't think he's as good as they thought he was or that he's not as valuable as Monroe rates himself.
Think Shields is closer to $9.75m/yr, with the more money in the 3rd and 4th year, but i may be wrong.

As for Monroe, i think it's the latter. His agent must know that he can drive a harder bargain after the Ravens only just gave up those draft picks to get his client last season.
Old 10.03.2014, 01:14 AM
Super Moderator

Looks like CB Vontae Davis will re-sign with the Colts.

More rumours for OTs :

Jared Veldheer - Arizona
Roger Saffold - Oakland or Tampa Bay
Eugene Monroe - Re-sign with Baltimore
Anthony Collins - Tampa Bay or re-sign with Cincinnati
Old 10.03.2014, 02:42 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
March 11th is fast approaching - the start of the 2014 NFL League Season - when Free Agency and Trades officially begin.

This will be the thread to post all the actual FA signings as they come in thick and fast over the next few days and weeks. The big-name signings like Jairus Byrd can of course have their own thread but for the most part it will save the forum being filled with 'Team X sign Long Snapper' type threads appearing everywhere.

Players who have been released from their contracts are free, and have been free, to sign with a team at any time. eg) D'Qwell Jackson, Red Bryant.

From 5am yesterday morning UK time, until the new league year officially starts on Tuesday night at 9pm GMT, a window of negotiation or 'legal tampering' has opened to allow teams to negotiate with agents for all UFAs, though actually agreeing on the terms of a deal is not allowed. Up to this point, teams have only been allowed to talk to their own free agents.

Q. When does the 2014 free agency signing period begin?
A. At 4pm. ET on Tuesday, March 11. (9pm UK time)

Q. What is permitted during the new three-day negotiating period prior to the start of free agency?
A. Beginning at midnight ET on Saturday, March 8 (i.e., after 11:59:59 p.m. ET, on Friday, March 7) and ending at 3:59:59 p.m. ET on Tuesday, March 11, clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into negotiations with, the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2013 Player Contracts at 4 p.m. ET on March 11. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4 p.m. ET on March 11.

During this negotiation period, a prospective Unrestricted Free Agent cannot visit a club (other than the player's current club) at its permanent facility or at any other location, and no direct contact is permitted between the player and any employee or representative of a club (other than the player's current club). If a player is self-represented, clubs are prohibited from discussions with the player during the negotiating period.

Clubs (other than the player's current club) may not discuss or make any travel arrangements with prospective Unrestricted Free Agent players, their certified agents, or anyone else associated with the player until the expiration of those players' 2013 Player Contracts at 4 p.m. ET on March 11.

The three-day negotiating period applies only to potential Unrestricted Free Agents; it does not apply to players who are potential Exclusive Rights Players or Restricted Free Agents, or to players who have been designated as Franchise Players or Transition Players.
I could be wrong but I think the States changed there clocks this weekend and we are 4hrs ahead of E.T instead of 5 for the next 3 weeks.

Tags
denver splash the cash , desean is a top 10 wr , eli has two rings , get some ham justin! , god hates the raiders. , i dont hate the raiders , i just dislike them , it's a trap! , legion of bill , mauve maneaters - ooh er! , no cap for saints , purple people eaters 2.0 , sb xlix gb 30 den 27 , these aren't the droids , you're looking for