The FBS Conference Realignment: 2010-15 - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NCAA College Football

Sponsored Links

Old 17.07.2013, 09:02 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw13 View Post
The requirement to be split into 2 divisions is that the conference must have at least 12 schools, as the AAC has 10 members it doesn't reach the requirement. So in a word no.
So going by Bo's post they will in 2015 when they expand.

Last edited by Dartmoor Falcon; 17.07.2013 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Wrong name/lack of sleep
Sponsored Links
Old 17.07.2013, 09:14 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartmoor Falcon View Post
So going by Bobs post they will in 2015 when they expand.
He'll be annoyed you called him Bob (it's Bo named for Raiders fan's favourite Bo Jackson).

I believe they have the option, and if they believe it's financially viable to do so they will do. The main benefit of having 2 divisions is you get to hold a conference championship game, if your conference means something then it will easily sell out, the downside is that if your conference is a bit rubbish then it doesn't sell out and tickets go on eBay for $5 a piece (see the Atlantic Coast Conference)

Old 17.07.2013, 09:27 PM
All Pro

Quote:
He'll be annoyed you called him Bob (it's Bo named for Raiders fan's favourite Bo Jackson).

I believe they have the option, and if they believe it's financially viable to do so they will do. The main benefit of having 2 divisions is you get to hold a conference championship game, if your conference means something then it will easily sell out, the downside is that if your conference is a bit rubbish then it doesn't sell out and tickets go on eBay for $5 a piece (see the Atlantic Coast Conference)

Thanks for pointing out I got the name wrong, edited now, I blame lack of sleep.

Does/will the AAC mean something?
Old 17.07.2013, 09:34 PM
MVP

Quote:
Thanks for pointing out I got the name wrong, edited now, I blame lack of sleep.

I'd list the current BCS (the 6 conferences who's winner gets an automatic bowl bid) as:

1) SEC
2) Pac-12
3) Big XIII
4) Big Ten
5) ACC
6) AAC

1) Is miles ahead of everyone.
2) and 3) are interchangeable depending upon criteria/season
Another year like last year for 4) and 5) may overtake it and the AAC is solidified as 6)
Old 19.07.2013, 06:42 AM
All Pro

Quote:

Conference championship games are made for tv events. The SEC's game is the only one that does massively well at the gate. Even the Big 10, which has the 2nd most rabid fanbase after the SEC, doesn't do a good job of selling tickets. The problem is that most traveling fans (a small minority of even the most rabid fanbases) are saving their money and vacation time for the bowls that will happen a month after the championship games. I assume the AAC will go the route of holding their conference championship games on campus at the higher ranked school. This is the Pac 12 model, as well as the model for most of the non-BCS conferences. Even with this model, the games don't usually draw as well as the regular season games on the same campuses. The AAC is purely a mid-major conference on their own tier. The big 5 power conferences are clearly all way ahead of the AAC, and the smaller conferences are all clearly way behind.
Old 19.07.2013, 06:46 AM
All Pro

Quote:

It was a huge mistake to put the ACC game in Florida. They've moved it back to Carolina and the game is much better supported by the local community there.
Old 19.07.2013, 06:58 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy in the WV View Post
It was a huge mistake to put the ACC game in Florida. They've moved it back to Carolina and the game is much better supported by the local community there.
Even so I've just found these two articles:

Quote:
Florida State took the trophy home from the 2012 ACC championship game in December.

It also brought back debt.

According to the school's income statement from the game, obtained by Warchant.com via public records request, Florida State lost more than $478,000 from its participation in the ACC championship in Charlotte, N.C., on Dec. 1.

About $440,000 of FSU's loss stems from dismal ticket sales for its matchup against 6-6 Georgia Tech. The league announced that 64,778 tickets were distributed, but Bank of America Stadium never reached half-capacity during FSU's 21-15 win.
http://floridastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1472519

Quote:
Do you live within a few hours drive of Charlotte, N.C.? Are you looking for something to do Saturday night? Well, if you have $5 to spend, I've got some good news for you.

That $5 can get you a ticket to Saturday's ACC Championship Game clash between Florida State and Georgia Tech. And you'll still have $1 left to spend afterward!
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...r-four-dollars

Maybe not as bad as the picture presents but still really poor.
Old 19.07.2013, 07:21 AM
All Pro

Oh, you're right. Even in Carolina, the ACC matchup is still the worst of the major conference championship games.
Old 21.07.2013, 08:42 PM
Starter

The big problem in the ACC at present, at least in terms of the championship game, is that Florida State and Clemson are both in the same division, and the rest of conference right now is relatively weak. If last years ACC championship game had been a rematch between those two, I'll bet it would have filled the stadium.
Old 21.07.2013, 08:57 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelwithacause View Post
The big problem in the ACC at present, at least in terms of the championship game, is that Florida State and Clemson are both in the same division, and the rest of conference right now is relatively weak. If last years ACC championship game had been a rematch between those two, I'll bet it would have filled the stadium.
Looking at the way the SEC has taken over is a huge problem. National titles are what people focus on but the rest of the conference is taking over recruiting in the South. SEC has 13 teams ranked in the top 30 going off Rivals recruiting with the lowest SEC school of the 14 been Mizzou at 41. The SEC is doing so much right to keep the balance of power with them.

The ACC has potential UNC, Miami, Virginia Tech, Clemson and Florida State all can recruit but don't reach not helped by two being on probation on and off for a while now. Georgia Tech, Louisville and Virginia also can be good enough to compete. With the rest needing a perfect storm to reach a nine plus wins.