Improving the Wembley experience - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Sponsored Links

Old 29.09.2014, 07:56 PM
Rookie

Default Improving the Wembley experience

As a fan of many sports; watching football, rugby league and cricket live at different grounds I believe there may be a possible solution for the 'lack of atmosphere' some people have mentioned in other threads. Why don't the NFL have certain specific areas for partisan fans, here a group of fans of a particular team could start chants which would then be replicated throughout the stadium and countered by the opposition fans in their areas. Having watched football for over thirty years even a small number of fans, usually in an away area numbering as little as 200 can create a competitive atmosphere in a ground. Yesterday having thousands of Dolphins fans dotted around the ground meant they weren't a cohesive force to start chants and cheers.
Sponsored Links
Old 29.09.2014, 08:01 PM
All Pro

The Mexican wave need banning!
Old 29.09.2014, 08:02 PM
Hall of Fame

If last nights game had been close then I'm sure the intense atmosphere we had during the player entrances and during the first quarter would have continued.
Old 29.09.2014, 08:10 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin_Akie View Post
If last nights game had been close then I'm sure the intense atmosphere we had during the player entrances and during the first quarter would have continued.
Agree, a lot of this has to do with the game itself when you consider the sheer number of neutrals. We're all there to watch a game of football, but if we're honest we're not shouting too hard for one or the other. I personally continue to see it as a privilege to just be able to watch football in our own country and I'll take whatever we get given.

They do try to sell the home tickets behind the end zone usually?
Old 29.09.2014, 09:02 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Set View Post
Glad I'm not the only grump thinking this
Old 29.09.2014, 09:51 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharp View Post
Glad I'm not the only grump thinking this
The perceived problem with atmosphere is with the teams. A top tier team will not give up a home game and we will not get a high profile game e.g Cowboys v Giants. Therefore we rely on a good match up of two equal teams which sometimes work Chargers v Saints and Steelers v Vikings. On paper yesterday's game should have been close.
Old 30.09.2014, 12:10 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Absolutely...the Mexican wave has no place whatsoever in sports (except in Mexico)

In terms of atmosphere...I see this ridiculous comment about lack of atmosphere every year. I have been to most of the IS games and find the best way to get some "atmosphere" is to create your own. Me and my mate had a great time, we got all the people around us involved in singing and chanting, we were having a load of banter with fans from various teams, there was even a family of Raiders fans from Hawaii sat in front of us who loved the experience.

Perhaps those who complain of not having atmosphere aren't sitting with interesting enough people...
Old 30.09.2014, 01:32 PM
Rookie

Quote:
I agree with this
Old 30.09.2014, 01:32 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberman36 View Post
Absolutely...the Mexican wave has no place whatsoever in sports (except in Mexico)

In terms of atmosphere...I see this ridiculous comment about lack of atmosphere every year. I have been to most of the IS games and find the best way to get some "atmosphere" is to create your own. Me and my mate had a great time, we got all the people around us involved in singing and chanting, we were having a load of banter with fans from various teams, there was even a family of Raiders fans from Hawaii sat in front of us who loved the experience.

Perhaps those who complain of not having atmosphere aren't sitting with interesting enough people...
First the mexican wave. This wouldn't happen if both teams played a competitive game. We were in front of the people who started it (they spent 10 minutes standing up and down over and over again to get it going). Before that they'd spent the first half of the 3rd quarter chanting turn up raiders turn up and saying thank god for the cheerleaders. Although doesn't this get classed as creating your own atmosphere. Some people would argue the Mexican wave was the best thing to happen in the entire third quarter! If you don't like it, don't join in! Everyone else has paid their money too. Also, the Mexican wave is a mis nomer. It became famous during the 1994 world cup in America - because the yanks started doing it in lopsided football games. They really only have themselves to blame.

I agree with creating your own atmosphere. But it is hard to do it when the games gone and the crowd are starting to leave. Again, people bought their ticket and have a right to leave and I've seen loads of people leave early at games in the states that are one sided.

Better games will always equal a better atmosphere. As many people state though. We won't ever get a divisional match up. The best we can hope to see is 2 decent teams or a bad team playing well against a good team playing badly. Unfortunately, the raiders had their good game last week against the pats. Still 2 more games this year. Still got a chance for a contest
Old 30.09.2014, 02:18 PM
Pro Bowler

Compared to the offer two blowouts I've seen (Pats vs Rams & 49ers vs Jags) this was the best one.

I'm ashamed to admit it I did take part in one circuit of the Mexican Wave, the guy sat next to me wasn't amused, but then again he didn't seem to enjoy any of it!