2019 season (continuing to update) - Page 12 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 20.02.2019, 08:30 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 View Post
May do ok with a QB who can throw an accurate intermediate pass.

Clay is too easily crocked. Throughout his career he has gone from one malady to another. Worth a look for Arizona who have struggled at TE for ever
Croon was fine with Allen, QB wasn't the issue. Clay is just past it.
Old 20.02.2019, 06:51 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
I would be surprised if the Steelers firmly committed to trading him at any value whatsoever. They probably agreed they'd seek a trade. But I get the feeling that each time Brown opens his mouth his value goes down. As you say, those kind of comments will chase away a lot of teams, but not all. His general demeanour recently will chase away others. Someone will definitely be interested, but at what price? The Steelers take a massive dead money hit if they trade him before June 1st. Which doesn't mean they won't, but it does mean they'll want value for it. Otherwise they might as well hang on until post-June 1st, when the cap hit drops from $21m to $7m. That's a big cap difference for a team like the Steelers. They won't cut him.
the cap hit either in one season or two still cost the Steelers to a point where if they only get low ball offers they can just say to Brown we tried but then they may end up with a repeat of the off-season Bell drama dragging through camp.the best result for the Steelers is someone offers them a #1 pick and they can sell that as good value but the insiders are hinting that may not happen.

the steelers have also confirmed they wont use any tags on Bell so atleast they have moved on from 1 un-happy player.
Old 21.02.2019, 12:46 AM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
the cap hit either in one season or two still cost the Steelers to a point where if they only get low ball offers they can just say to Brown we tried but then they may end up with a repeat of the off-season Bell drama dragging through camp.the best result for the Steelers is someone offers them a #1 pick and they can sell that as good value but the insiders are hinting that may not happen.

the steelers have also confirmed they wont use any tags on Bell so atleast they have moved on from 1 un-happy player.

the Steelers are looking a bit silly at the moment and like they have wasted a pretty good trio.

this time last year a 1st for Brown would of been easy to get now a middling 2nd might be a bit of an ask.

Bell would of come back before the deadline if they had just promised not to use any tag on him. maybe he would of had an impact, maybe not.

that being said Conner and JuJu both had great years, so there is hope going forwards.

i wonder if someone with the space might try and get both of them, if the teams has a QB and a decent OL you have a great looking offence.
Old 21.02.2019, 08:28 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
the Steelers are looking a bit silly at the moment and like they have wasted a pretty good trio.

this time last year a 1st for Brown would of been easy to get now a middling 2nd might be a bit of an ask.

Bell would of come back before the deadline if they had just promised not to use any tag on him. maybe he would of had an impact, maybe not.

that being said Conner and JuJu both had great years, so there is hope going forwards.

i wonder if someone with the space might try and get both of them, if the teams has a QB and a decent OL you have a great looking offence.
Tough to say they wasted a pretty good trio considering they made the play offs 4 years in a row from 2014-17. As you say, Connor and Juju emerged in 2018, although a 'happy' camp probably makes the play offs in 2018 too.

As some of the media have stated, AB didn't just become a diva overnight. The Steelers have dealt with his personality throughout his career and its worked out fine, it just came to a head at the end of 2018.

Hindsight is great, but the Steelers clearly prefer to take a stand on these things, even at the cost of draft picks. Brown did contribute almost 1300 yards and 15 TD's this season too remember.
Old 21.02.2019, 09:03 AM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Tough to say they wasted a pretty good trio considering they made the play offs 4 years in a row from 2014-17. As you say, Connor and Juju emerged in 2018, although a 'happy' camp probably makes the play offs in 2018 too.

As some of the media have stated, AB didn't just become a diva overnight. The Steelers have dealt with his personality throughout his career and its worked out fine, it just came to a head at the end of 2018.

Hindsight is great, but the Steelers clearly prefer to take a stand on these things, even at the cost of draft picks. Brown did contribute almost 1300 yards and 15 TD's this season too remember.

i call it a waste in terms of not really getting that close to a SB trip.

making the playoffs is nice but if you dont do much when you get there it doesnt count for that much.)

its debatable to call it taking a real stand on Bell, as he was the one that took the stand, they made one in wanting to keep the power of the tag rather that the ability of the player.

tbh Brown being a diva feels a tad overblown, there seems to be friction which i doubt is one sided that has created the issues.

its one of those tags place on players to take a shot and make them the issue.

even on Brown a stand seems ott as he seems to want out too.

they need the form of those 2 to continue and hope Washington steps up or they find another fella.

in any case the Steelers have an interesting off season ahead and some interesting moves should be happening around the NFL.
Old 21.02.2019, 09:19 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:

making the playoffs is nice but if you dont do much when you get there it doesnt count for that much.)

its debatable to call it taking a real stand on Bell, as he was the one that took the stand, they made one in wanting to keep the power of the tag rather that the ability of the player.

tbh Brown being a diva feels a tad overblown, there seems to be friction which i doubt is one sided that has created the issues.

its one of those tags place on players to take a shot and make them the issue.

even on Brown a stand seems ott as he seems to want out too.

they need the form of those 2 to continue and hope Washington steps up or they find another fella.

in any case the Steelers have an interesting off season ahead and some interesting moves should be happening around the NFL.
I see your point, obviously everything is shades of grey when it comes to 'success', making 'stands' etc.

The Steelers are certainly going to be interesting to watch.

Hopefully the franchise tags will start to be applied sooner rather than later, then we'll get a clearer picture of things. Roll on the combine and the new league year!
Old 21.02.2019, 11:09 AM
MVP

Quote:
They made the Championship game two seasons ago. Just how much closer can you get to the Super Bowl without, well, actually making the Super Bowl?

Time will tell on the Steelers. I don't like seeing the team in the news this much, it's normally what you see with chaotic franchises, which Pittsburgh hasn't been. But this ownership, front office and head coach have been consistent enough over a long, long time that I'm going to trust in them to know what they are doing until results on the field over a couple of successive seasons show that they do not. The team has not had a losing season since 2003 and not had back-to-back losing seasons since 98/99. Compare that to the Giants, who have traditionally been recognised as having stable ownership and being well run too - 5 losing seasons in the last 6. Now that's a meltdown and with the star receiver there for the last 5 years. So let's just hold our horses - we aren't there yet with Pittsburgh.

I think it's forgotten too with the Steelers that we have been without our best defensive player for the last season and a half, with no sign of him actually ever returning. That's nobody's fault, just a tragic situation.

I am still optimistic on the Steelers - not necessarily as a Super Bowl winner but as a good team, because I believe that good teams start up front. And injuries permitting, the Steelers remain strong on both the O line and the D line.

Quote:
Trust me, I've been listening to debates on whether his behaviour is a problem on the Terrible Podcast for years now. Years. It all started when he kept getting 15 yard excessive celebration penalties (and fines) which put the team on the back foot after scoring touchdowns. And rather than learn from it he kept on doing it again and again, as though his priority was doing a nice dance rather than caring about not putting his defense in trouble for the next drive.

Last edited by European Bob; 21.02.2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 21.02.2019, 06:25 PM
GOAT

Quote:
They made the Championship game two seasons ago. Just how much closer can you get to the Super Bowl without, well, actually making the Super Bowl?

Time will tell on the Steelers. I don't like seeing the team in the news this much, it's normally what you see with chaotic franchises, which Pittsburgh hasn't been. But this ownership, front office and head coach have been consistent enough over a long, long time that I'm going to trust in them to know what they are doing until results on the field over a couple of successive seasons show that they do not. The team has not had a losing season since 2003 and not had back-to-back losing seasons since 98/99. Compare that to the Giants, who have traditionally been recognised as having stable ownership and being well run too - 5 losing seasons in the last 6. Now that's a meltdown and with the star receiver there for the last 5 years. So let's just hold our horses - we aren't there yet with Pittsburgh.

I think it's forgotten too with the Steelers that we have been without our best defensive player for the last season and a half, with no sign of him actually ever returning. That's nobody's fault, just a tragic situation.

I am still optimistic on the Steelers - not necessarily as a Super Bowl winner but as a good team, because I believe that good teams start up front. And injuries permitting, the Steelers remain strong on both the O line and the D line.

Trust me, I've been listening to debates on whether his behaviour is a problem on the Terrible Podcast for years now. Years. It all started when he kept getting 15 yard excessive celebration penalties (and fines) which put the team on the back foot after scoring touchdowns. And rather than learn from it he kept on doing it again and again, as though his priority was doing a nice dance rather than caring about not putting his defense in trouble for the next drive.

have a tight game in the championship?

i'm not saying anyone should be sacked, just that you guys had the talent to of expected a but more from the period.

it was actually the stable ownership model that was our downfall, we stuck with a failing GM because of stability. he mainly had very poor drafts and stuck with his picks at the cost of the team, the state of the OL over those years has been costly.

we had 1 WR, we had the QB but we lacked at RB and the our OL was (nd is still pretty flawed) dreadful.

and we do have a more recent SB win even when we had no run game, an OL that had some issues and a D that also had problems, so we overachieved that year.

as i said its not over for this side but its hard to doubt that you would be better with Brown and Bell and the talent you still have.
but like most teams you need to have a good off season (or see some players make the jump) to recover from this past season.

tbh i find the reaction to players getting flagged on that silly rule hard to get that mad about. players get a huge rush at that moment and want to celebrate and let it out. but also that thing that helps them make the plays, also leads to that celebration (players are different so some will react in a different manner that works for them.)
it just all feels picky and narrative filling.
Old 21.02.2019, 06:30 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:

this time last off-season think the Steelers could have got a 1st rounder if not even two for Brown with desperate teams out there but now its the added issue of un-happy player that has stated he wont play next season on his current deal.

on Bell once the league said the 2018 tag couldn't carry over he had no reason to return apart from the $$$'s but now we will see if he makes that $14m+ back in free agency.

also can see why having a triplets and not getting to a super bowl could be easily seen as a wasted run for the Steelers but they are just in a conference where they normally run into a better Patriots team.
Old 21.02.2019, 06:59 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
and decided not to cover Chris Hogan......

to then follow that up with the loss to the Jags and then not even making the play-offs are they a team trending the wrong way.

Tomlin maybe an under rated coach with all the praise normally going to the GM/front office but he seem's to embrace the idea of a very open locker room which over the last few years has attracted a lot of attention.