Lockout & CBA issues - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Cincinnati Bengals

Old 26.04.2011, 10:33 AM
Team Captain

Default Lockout & CBA issues

Don't think there has been much discussion here as to the general issues re the current dispute.
Has anyone got a good handle on all of this and where it might end up.
My take is that we may be heading towards a 'Bosman' type ruling where it is every player for themselves.
The latest ruling to end the lockout recognises the unique position of the 'de-certified' individual players.There is a thought that even if appealed to the '8th Circuit Court'(?), that they are very pro-competition/free market and will support the rights of individual players to market themselves.
The owners now seem to be in a position of needing to negotiate with a players 'union' -their strategy looks to have blown up.

Anyway - the relevance to the Bengals is that if a true free market is applied, then we will have an EPL situation where only the rich franchises will prosper.The draft and all measures towards parity will be defunct (not that they've done us much good over the past 20 years anyway!).It will be a free for all for the best players-veteran & college.
I think thats why Goodell is talking about the potential 'ruin' of the NFL.

Bengals fans will go from living in hope to knowing that we will never compete.

I hope a new CBA is negotiated.The 'parity' principle is important to us.
Old 26.04.2011, 10:48 AM
Hall of Fame

If the Owners lose the appeal with or without a stay then the season will go on.

But the lawsuits will continue.
I have heard that the judge would come down hard on the NFL should the case come to judgement.
Both sides need a deal for the good of the game.

No deal and allow the courts to rule and we could have the following:

No Cap which means no spending ceiling but more importantly no floor.
No Draft
No Free Agency.
No Competitive Balance.

The Players may think they can win but a ruling on the Lawsuits would harm both sides forever.

If the Owners win the appeal, the doors close and the NFLPA* must negotiate rather than litigate.

No season would take place until a CBA is signed.

Shorthand. Players win = good short term, potential doomsday long term
Owners win = Bad short term, maybe a lost season, but a CBA would be signed eventually so good news long term.
Old 26.04.2011, 11:01 AM
MVP

We'll get a CBA. Always were going to, always will. It's just a question of when.
Old 26.04.2011, 11:07 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mde203 View Post
We'll get a CBA. Always were going to, always will. It's just a question of when.
I do tend to agree with you, but it could be years before we do as happened in the past.

1987 strike.......CBA agreed in 1993
Old 26.04.2011, 08:08 PM
All Pro

If the NFL becomes like Baseball or the Premiership I'm sure I'll lose interest in it. Seeing the same teams win year in year out has absolutely no appeal to me whatsoever and the Bengals would not even be able to compete at all.

I don't care if we lose football for a couple of years if it meant we still kept the salary cap system. I would be pretty disgusted if the cap disappeared.