the BENGALS thread - Page 300 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Cincinnati Bengals

Sponsored Links

Old 29.04.2013, 07:45 PM
Pro Bowler

'Sergio Kindle' ... he re-writes the book so I've heard ;0)

On a more serious note perhaps we haven't thought of this but perhaps Harrison can be a positive influence on players like Maualuga, after all he's been a top flight player on a super bowl team. Maybe, just maybe he might be the guy to point Rey in the right direction and show him what it takes....
Sponsored Links
Old 29.04.2013, 11:30 PM
Team Captain

I think Rey 'gets it' this year already. He's in better shape than he's ever been in this time of year. Don't get me wrong, he was by no means great or even good last year but the first half of the season, he looked a mess, he was overweight clearly, it's never a good sign when you're a linebacker and there's a little muffin top showing underneath the jersey. The second half of the season he was actually average, his PFF grades were by no means anywhere near as bad and then well, he got killed against Houston but between the first half of the season and play-offs he had a stretch where he looked in better shape and was actually fairly solid. I'm not crowning him as middle linebacker or even suggesting he'll be anything above bad but turning up for the season in good shape and lighter and quicker is at least going to help his chances.

a couple of tidbits I've picked up today.

1) It really doesn't look good for Kyle Cook. Someone asked Joe Reedy about the injury and Reedy basically implied that he's done. Would make sense why they drafted two guys that can play center and signed Pollak in FA (who is awful but still...). I can't say I'm surprised, he looked awful last year when he took over from Robinson, especially in pass protection when he had to shift his feet. This is what he said - 'Basically he's here, he's working out, 3 weeks until they hit the field, which for linemen isn't a good measuring stick.'

2) That Andre Smith contract is a heist. No wonder he didn't want to sign it. $18m over 3 years and...wait for it...$5m is guaranteed....FIVE MILLION. I honestly have no idea why no-one else was interested. If you look at the deals Loadholt and Cherilus got and then look at Smith's it's bizarre. Obviously very happy that we've signed him so cheap. Very risky but that's an outstanding bit of business. I wouldn't want to play poker with whoever dealt with that in the Front Office.
Old 30.04.2013, 05:28 AM
Pro Bowler

That contract is about right for a player thats struggled with injury, weight and attitude before one better than average year.
Every team including the Bengals knew what he did last year was in his contract year. His past immaturity caught up with him - simple.

Having said that if my boss gave me a contract with £3,225,300 guaranteed I'd be kind of happy!!
Old 30.04.2013, 09:27 AM
Team Captain

On the other side of the coin though those weight issues haven't been there for 2 years (although I think he got heavier as the year wore on).

But anyway, he was PFF's 4th best tackle and Number 1 right-tackle. That contract doesn't reflect that, he got killed by the market. I liked the story Paul Alexander told about inviting him into the draft room and showing him Menelik Watson being number 1 on their draft board heading into round 2. I'm guessing he was half-joking but it just shows how much bargaining power we had because there was no other interest in him. Signs of the right-tackle market more than him I think. You consider there's two really good ones in Winston and Clabo still without a team? Smith didn't want to be in that position. Plus, the biggest factor was he wanted to come back, that was clear throughout from Lewis' soundbites. Plus, Smith seemed genuinely relieved and happy to sign rather than someone who had to swallow his pride and take a loss reluctantly.

Just goes to show how ridiculous the old rookie pay system was. Smith's coming off a Pro Bowl calibre year and he's actually going to earn less for the next 3 years than he did as an overweight rookie arriving in the league.

A Bengals writer on twitter earlier said they were tagerting three guys in the first - Tavon Austin, Tyler Eifert and Eric Reid. So, that worked out pretty well. Austin would've just been an upgrade on Hawkins, Reid I thought was pretty average (although he fits the 49ers scheme perfectly so he'll do well there), Eifert was the best outcome.

and, if Andre didn't sign they'd have contemplated Watson in the 2nd, which means no Gio. As much as I'd have liked an alternative to Hunt, I'm glad we've got Eifert/Bernard over Reid/Watson
Old 01.05.2013, 03:35 PM
Pro

So, McCallebb as a punt returner looks more likely, as he has signed for the Bengals as a corner rather than a running-back.

Which means he is likely to be special teams only, and cover for any injuries to the starting corners on DEF?
Old 02.05.2013, 09:07 AM
Team Captain

Reading the article they're giving him a go at cornerback and wide-receiver. He can't make the roster at either position, not even close I think they're just hoping he gives them something else apart from being a pure kick-returner. The roster is stacked and when you consider the competition and depth at D-line, linebackers, safety, corner and running-back, they don't want to waste a roster spot on a kick returner. I'm not sure he's even a punt-returner, he never returned one at Auburn.

Looking at what Geoff Hobson says they love the potential as a kick returner but if that's all he's going to do then it isn't going to work. At the very least he needs to be useful in punt coverage as a gunner, but once again we're deep there, Hawkins and Kirkpatrick are two excellent gunners and then you've got Prater, Pacman and Miles who could also do that role without much of a drop-off.

Unless he average 40 yards a return in pre-season, I'd say there's zero chance they allocate him a roster spot. Although I'm not sure where that leaves the kick return situation, we just have to hope Tate gets beat out at receiver by two of Sanzenbacher, Whalen, Hamilton, Hilton and the UDFAs. Which I can't see happening.
Old 02.05.2013, 10:45 AM
Team Captain

The wildcard to look out for is Quinn Sharp the UDFA kicker out of Ok St. Huge leg. I'm cool with Nugent but this guy can kick 60-yarders (worth a Youtube search if you're interested), averaged 45.6 yards per punt (yep, he was an all-american punter as well) and he led the nation in touchbacks for FOUR YEARS.

Looks like he wants to convert to being a full-time kicker. If Simmons can help his consistency a little (his FG % wasn't exactly bad in college anyway) then he could be incredible.

Can't see them cutting Nugent but I don't see anyway Sharp would make the practice squad without being claimed by a kicker needy team pretty quickly.
Old 04.05.2013, 07:52 AM
Pro Bowler

Wow, just read an article which listed all the Bengals free agents over the next two years. Couldn't believe that at the moment Peko is sitting on a SEVEN year contract worth $30 million - he should be sleeping with his agent with a contract like that! All other contracts I've seen have a maximum of 4 years. The very fact that Peko is heading towards the end of that seven year contract with no restructuring means the contract was not very salary cap prohibitive which is a testament not only to Katie B but his agent too - good work.
Old 04.05.2013, 11:55 AM
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to RedsnBengals Send a message via Yahoo to RedsnBengals

Hello i am brand new to the NFL UK Forum. I thought i would pop into this thread as a Bengals fan and say Hello.

I am also a Cincinnati Reds fan.
Old 04.05.2013, 01:00 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsnBengals View Post
Hello i am brand new to the NFL UK Forum. I thought i would pop into this thread as a Bengals fan and say Hello.

I am also a Cincinnati Reds fan.
Welcome.
Big Reds fan myself -followed them since the days of the 'Nasty Boys'.Hoping this could be the year......