Sky Sports F1 Channel - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 02.03.2012, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Default Sky Sports F1 Channel

Am I the only one who really does not understand the thinking behind this new channel? Why on earth would Sky dedicate a whole new channel (two if you count the HD version) to one arguably minority sport when it generally struggles to show live sport on its four sports channels which currently broadcast? It's not even a year long season, what happens the months between races?

Why not a Sky Sports Premier League channel? Why not a Sky Sports Cricket channel? Hey, why not a Sky Sports NFL channel?!

From what I can see the programming will be literally just based around F1.... I like a race as much as the next person but surely this is a failure waiting to happen?
Old 02.03.2012, 01:05 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
Am I the only one who really does not understand the thinking behind this new channel? Why on earth would Sky dedicate a whole new channel (two if you count the HD version) to one arguably minority sport when it generally struggles to show live sport on its four sports channels which currently broadcast? It's not even a year long season, what happens the months between races?

Why not a Sky Sports Premier League channel? Why not a Sky Sports Cricket channel? Hey, why not a Sky Sports NFL channel?!

From what I can see the programming will be literally just based around F1.... I like a race as much as the next person but surely this is a failure waiting to happen?
Agreed. Seems like utter madness. They do this for F1 but get the biggest bunch of nobodies to be their nfl pundits. Makes no sense.
Old 02.03.2012, 01:18 PM
Hall of Fame

If your a fan of Formula 1, Start rejoicing, if not, go and watch something else?

They do seem to be going after f1 really hard does sky, gp 2 and 3, full races, looks good, whether or not they maintain this i do not know.
Old 02.03.2012, 01:20 PM
Pro

Yeah good point, didnt think of that actually!

They're gonna have a lot of TV time to fill! Surely they can't repeat the races every day of the week!
Old 02.03.2012, 01:27 PM
All Pro

I really don't get it either. If they show some '60s replays or some of the excellent documentaries that have been made over the years, I'll no doubt tune in... being part of the nerdy minority that I am, but they could just as easily put these programmes on the existing channels.

I suspect either sky felt it was necessary, or the FIA/F1group stipulated that they'd need a dedicated channel to win the TV rights. Probably what'll happen is either it'll cost too much, they'll shut it down and no doubt wangle a new deal regardless; or it'll just keep running in the background and no one will care. NFLN manages to run 24/7 and have about 1 hr of original programming per day after all.
Old 02.03.2012, 01:30 PM
All Pro

I got a flyer advertising this in my paper this morning. It wasn't clear to me whether this
will be an extra channel needing extra subs or be part of the sky sports package.
(those on the BT thing may not be included either)

sky have been trying real hard to get into motorsport .That team championship they had a
couple of years ago was a bit of a failure by all accounts and they probably want a slice of Bernies
empire as there are big bucks to be had.

I doubt that there is the fan base to pay out subs for GP's especialy as the marquee races will
still be covered by the Beeb, I could be wrong but personally I am fairly indifferent to the majority
of races............. we will see.
Old 02.03.2012, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

All down to money. The thinking is probably Bernie will make more money in the UK by popping over to Sky and using there multi channel empire to increase profits. I preferred the BBC and it showed when they went to ITV that money meant more than the race by showing adverts. OK not in the case of Sky they say undisturbed coverage, but its all money in the end.

Mark
Old 02.03.2012, 01:50 PM
GOAT

i think its mainly down to the amount of live coverage as i am guessing they will be showing the friday practices (the bbc used the red button for such things) and sunday races often clash with other live sports too. i would be surprised if its a 24 hour, 7 days a week channel though.

i would say yes to the NFL Sky Channel or at least a spare HD channel for Redzone and the the odd sport when theres not enough room like another champions league game.
Old 02.03.2012, 02:53 PM
Team Captain

not a fan of F1 so wont watch it. I'll get the channel as I have the other sky sports channels and its part of the package. You cant just subscribe to the F1 Channel as some F1 fans would have liked.

There'll be a lot of filler but as mentioned I guess all the testing, practices will be on there also.
Old 02.03.2012, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Haven't watched a race since Senna died.