What Grinds Your Gears - Page 9 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Entertainment/News

Old 05.06.2012, 11:58 AM
MVP

The English middle class and their mispronunciation of vowels. Examples: Claars and graars or Afghanistaarn (how come you pronounce the first two A's correctly)? Pronouncing Shrewsbury as Shrowsbury. Hello, the football club has a shrew on it's badge, it's nickname is 'the shrews' - so how the hell do you get Shrowsbury?
Old 05.06.2012, 12:13 PM
Hall of Fame

Gillette telling me fusion proglide or mach 23789 or whatever is the best a man can get

Merkur Futur is far superior and I can pick up 100 Derby DE blades from amazon for a tenner instead of 5 blades for 15 quid , and this combo results in a far better shave to boot

So bog off with your marketing and exorbitant markups on tiny pieces of metal
Old 05.06.2012, 12:38 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by vann_mcelroy View Post
Gillette telling me fusion proglide or mach 23789 or whatever is the best a man can get

Merkur Futur is far superior and I can pick up 100 Derby DE blades from amazon for a tenner instead of 5 blades for 15 quid , and this combo results in a far better shave to boot

So bog off with your marketing and exorbitant markups on tiny pieces of metal

Totally, totally agree except for the Derby blades - ugh. Try Feathers or Gillette 7 O'Clock yellows.

Also on the same topic, canned gloop foams and gels for 4 quid a pop are awful when you can get some high quality shave creams that smell much nicer and perform much better. OK, you have to invest in a brush and the creams seem more pricey, but in the long run it works out better as a tub of cream last months as you only need a small amount.

Last edited by PavlovsDog; 05.06.2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05.06.2012, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Guys, guys, guys...... Grow yourselves a beard! Since that numpty Mr Beckham you can grow any old rubbish and it's considered acceptable
Old 05.06.2012, 01:52 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
Guys, guys, guys...... Grow yourselves a beard! Since that numpty Mr Beckham you can grow any old rubbish and it's considered acceptable
That reminds me - David Beckham! The most over-rated player in the history of the game.
Old 05.06.2012, 02:14 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csonka#39 View Post
Phonics - those with kids learning to read and spell using this system will understand.

We teach them to sing the ABC using the letters correctly then they are told the letter i is an ii making an ie sound or e is an eah sound s is ssssss w is wuh so if they read the word weeds they end up with wuh-eah-eah-duh-ssss or mails would be mmm-ah-ii-llll-sss ARGGGHHHH SERIOUSLY....C'MON NOW!!!

Go Compare ads. .

website searches that link you to a **** site even if it is unrelated to your search in any way.
Phonics works as an initial system of teaching children to read and spell. Without understanding how letters sound they have to get by on word recognition alone, which takes so much longer to teach. With phonics, as long as they are picking up the sounds and are able to blend them properly, they can read any word they see. Same with spelling- as long as they understand the sounds and how to segment them, they can spell any word they like, or at least make a good attempt at it until they then learn the correct spelling later on.

The problem with phonics isn't in the way it teaches children to read or spell. The problem is more along the lines of comprehension. Phonics can only teach reading to a point, children need to be able to understand what they are reading by having a wide range of experience of the world around them. Sadly, much of that needs to happen before they get to school and it often doesn't. Children need to be given as wide a range of experiences as possible from the youngest possible age, and in this day and age many of them aren't, which makes teaching reading and writing so much more difficult.
Old 05.06.2012, 02:15 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csonka#39 View Post
But the fact they were dispossesed taken to slavery and had 6 million of them murdered does not factor into your thinking. . I cant even talk to you on this. . I will just keep quiet on it or I may get a little 'passionate'
The Holocaust was the worst thing to ever happen in history but cannot forever be an excuse for Israel to commit War Crimes.

And the Israelis are known to have been awful to Holocaust survivors whom they saw as weak and letting down their religion.

I am a history graduate and i am very interested in that period of time but Israel cannot have carte blanche to act as they please.
Old 05.06.2012, 02:16 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smograider View Post
That reminds me - David Beckham! The most over-rated player in the history of the game.
We have a new winner for best shout ever!!!
Old 05.06.2012, 02:17 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantMackem View Post
You know what really grinds my gears......

Lads who put "x" as in kiss at the end of a text message.
Ladies who put an X at the end of a message and get annoyed when you dont reply with an X at the end of your message.
Old 05.06.2012, 03:41 PM
All Pro

People who moan on an internet forum.