DeMarco Murray's Contract...... - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 17.09.2014, 05:54 PM
Hall of Fame

Default DeMarco Murray's Contract......

I know it's early to start this one off, but in the final year of his contract Murray is putting up some big numbers. So, the question is, what's a 27 year old RB worth?

I think if he stays healthy you have to resign him. Looking around the league these are some of the top numbers for RB contracts.......

Jamaal Charles - 4yr/ $27,750,000 extension (2014).
LeSean McCoy - 5 yr / $45,000,000 extension (2012). ($20.765 guaranteed).
Matt Forte - 4yr / $30,400,000 extension (2012) ($13,800,000 guaranteed).

The Running Back market has dried up in recent years, just look at Charles' recent extension.

Charles signed his contract extension at age 27 (I think), which is what Murray will be if he signed a new deal in Dallas. Charles has cap numbers of $9.5m, $8m, $6m, and $7m for the next 4 years.

I'd be happy to resign Murray to something like a 3yr / $21m. That may seem a lot, but if this team is going to be built on the run it's worth it. If they structure it so his cap number falls over the years, i.e. $8m, $7m, $6m, it would make sense, but that's cap permitting, and Dez needs to signed too.

I expect Murray would want a 4 year deal though, as he, and his agent, know this will be his one big deal. With Charles getting $27m over 4 years, I think $24m over 4 years wouldn't be too bad for either side.

Thoughts?..............
Old 18.09.2014, 08:24 AM
Starter

I doubt we would re sign him for anything above $4m a year, given the market for RBs and his obvious durability concerns and his age...

I expect Randle to have more snaps behind his O-line to see what he can do.

If the o-line (especially the interior), is as good as we think it is, the loss of Murray wouldn't be a massive blow.. look at how average RBs have run behind good o-lines and produced massive numbers in the last few years.

My obvious concern is moving Zac Martin to RT... This has been touted consistently - but he has looked so good in run blocking so far... so wouldn't want to lose that.
Old 18.09.2014, 11:35 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by E7_Cowboy View Post
I doubt we would re sign him for anything above $4m a year, given the market for RBs and his obvious durability concerns and his age...

I expect Randle to have more snaps behind his O-line to see what he can do.

If the o-line (especially the interior), is as good as we think it is, the loss of Murray wouldn't be a massive blow.. look at how average RBs have run behind good o-lines and produced massive numbers in the last few years.

My obvious concern is moving Zac Martin to RT... This has been touted consistently - but he has looked so good in run blocking so far... so wouldn't want to lose that.
I see your point, especially about the OL, but I think they'd stretch to a bit more than $4m/yr. If that's their stance then he's as good as gone.

Agree about Zach Martin too. I've been thinking that since they drafted him. In the draft process he sometimes struggled with speed on the outside, but he's perfect on the inside. The fact they tried to trade a 2015 2nd round pick to the Panthers to move back into the 3rd round for Trai Turner (OG, LSU), shows they want to add to that OL. I'd sooner we took a RT high in the 2015 draft if the plan is to move on from Doug Free, and leave Martin at RG.

Back to Murray though, if he runs for 1700 yds and 10 TD's, they have to try to keep him. You might find RB's in the draft who can gain yards, but if we bring in a young QB any time soon you need a veteran RB to block/help him.
Old 20.09.2014, 03:20 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Back to Murray though, if he runs for 1700 yds and 10 TD's, they have to try to keep him. You might find RB's in the draft who can gain yards, but if we bring in a young QB any time soon you need a veteran RB to block/help him.
He really needs to be consistent - two seasons, no injuries, stellar performance. He's already missed more games in 3 seasons than Emmitt Smith did his whole Cowboys career.

I'm also still bothered by the attitude I saw last season, and the year before. It may be a confidence thing due to the injuries, but too often he would dip out of the extra yards, or the hard yards, in order to avoid the hit.

I'm just not convinced he's still the real deal for us. Yes he's put up the numbers in two games, but have you seen the holes he's been getting?
Old 20.09.2014, 04:14 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekinCowboy View Post
He really needs to be consistent - two seasons, no injuries, stellar performance. He's already missed more games in 3 seasons than Emmitt Smith did his whole Cowboys career.

I'm also still bothered by the attitude I saw last season, and the year before. It may be a confidence thing due to the injuries, but too often he would dip out of the extra yards, or the hard yards, in order to avoid the hit.

I'm just not convinced he's still the real deal for us. Yes he's put up the numbers in two games, but have you seen the holes he's been getting?
I know the OL have played well, but I think it's doing Murray a disservice if we think most RB's could be as productive as he has so far.

I agree, the health and consistency has to be proven, but I think people are going too far the wrong way when they talk about how de-valued the RB position has become. He isn't Shady McCoy when it comes to being a threat out of the backfield, but he gains the hard yards.

As long as his contract demands aren't too outlandish then I think he stays.
Old 05.10.2014, 03:03 PM
Hall of Fame

So........

According to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport 'the 'Boys have offered Murray a four-year contract that would pay him more than any free-agent running back earned in 2014, per team sources.'

As far as I remember, FA RB's of note:

The Chargers gave Donald Brown $10..5/3 years.
The Giants gave Rashaad Jennings $10m/4 years.
The Jets gave Chris Johnson $8m/2 years.

So from that group I'd say $18m/4 years would surpass them all, $4.5m per year.
Old 14.01.2015, 10:40 AM
Hall of Fame

Reports suggest the Cowboys have offered Murray something in the neighbourhood of 4years/$16m. If that's true he's heading to Free Agency to see what he can get........
Old 14.01.2015, 03:07 PM
Pro

I'm not sure free agency will kind to running backs forever more but Murray will get bites. And bites offering more than that alleged Cowboys offer. Question is, will he be as good behind a weaker line?
Old 14.01.2015, 03:11 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairQuarterback View Post
I'm not sure free agency will kind to running backs forever more but Murray will get bites. And bites offering more than that alleged Cowboys offer. Question is, will he be as good behind a weaker line?
No...he wont. Simple as that. He could have a 1000 yard season depending where he lands, but if a team with a lesser line that cannot punch lanes as effective as Dallas, decides to give him 350 plus carries a year, he'll break.

Imagine if you guys picked up Peterson in the off season..behind that line...cripes.
Old 14.01.2015, 05:17 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bear View Post
No...he wont. Simple as that. He could have a 1000 yard season depending where he lands, but if a team with a lesser line that cannot punch lanes as effective as Dallas, decides to give him 350 plus carries a year, he'll break.

Imagine if you guys picked up Peterson in the off season..behind that line...cripes.
Although it's intriguing, I really hope we don't go down that route. If Murray doesn't stay, then they'll look to bring a veteran in because the Romo 'window' is closing, and putting a rookie in might mean taking a step back in the short term.

Ideally we sort something with Dez, and tag Murray. He won't be happy as every year without a long term contract brings his value down (he'd be 28 in 2016). If he's tagged, then I expect he'd lower his demands to stay with the Cowboys.