Anthony Spencer
Georger Selvie
Jeremy Mincey

Tyrone Crawford

Henry Melton
Davon Coleman
Terrell McClain
Nick Hayden

If we dressed all 9 of those guys it would give us the best shot we're going to have at creating the waves of pressure Marinelli wants.

Against the run?..........Mincey, Hayden, McClain, Crawford.......that's as stout a front as we can field this season. In the cold weather stopping the run will be even more important. Stopping the likes of Forte, Morris, Jennings and McCoy could win us those games.
Old 22.10.2014, 03:21 PM
Hall of Fame

After a couple of trades happened this week in the NFL (Harvin being the obvious one), and a few media outlets kick starting the 'potential trade' discussions, any thoughts on if the Cowboys should look for any reinforcements?

Not talking about anything crazy like dealing 1st or 2nd round picks, but if this team really could go deep into the play-offs, is there anyone out there worth giving up a 4th round pick for for instance?

NFL.com had Mark Ingram as a suggestion for a mid round pick. Can't see the Saints giving him up for a 4th round pick personally, but maybe RB reinforcements wouldn't be a bad idea given how important our running game is.

Obviously they'd have to be an upgrade on what we already have.

Someone like Zac Stacy at the Rams? He's fallen out of favour (which isn't a good sign I suppose), but he's shown potential last year.

Probably very difficult to really improve the roster at this stage without giving up a lot, and paying a hefty salary (which we can't afford), but just thought I'd see what people think?
Old 27.10.2014, 08:57 PM
Team Captain

Given the contracts that need to be sorted at the end of the season, namely Bryant and Murray (with something being sorted to keep McClain around at this rate), I don't really want to bring any names on board at the moment. Our D is going to have to remain inexperienced for the next few years with this offensive line and star names needing to be maintained. Focus has to be on good young draft selections in order to build this team right
Old 27.10.2014, 09:14 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX View Post
Given the contracts that need to be sorted at the end of the season, namely Bryant and Murray (with something being sorted to keep McClain around at this rate), I don't really want to bring any names on board at the moment. Our D is going to have to remain inexperienced for the next few years with this offensive line and star names needing to be maintained. Focus has to be on good young draft selections in order to build this team right
I agree. Just wondered how optimistic people were. If confidence was high I wondered if people would push a few more 'chips' to the middle of the table so to speak.

In effect we've traded a 6th round pick for McClain already.
Old 28.10.2014, 11:34 AM
Hall of Fame

Right, before I go off at the deep end about last night (this might get quite lengthy, sorry). We are still 6 - 2, a far better record than expected, and if we improve our performance against the Cardinals next time out then 8 - 2 at the bye is still there for us pending Jacksonville.

Ok, so that's out of the way. I'll give credit were it's due in the following:

DeMarco Murray - Another amazing game in terms of yardage. He's had a great year, we can't really complain........but can someone tell him the idea is too avoid defenders in the open field, not zero in on them looking for contact! Murray has been great at showing patience setting up his blocks, but he has an annoying habit of looking for contact on the second level. He has some sort of inferiority complex when it comes to proving he can run over, or through, any defensive back on the field. Trying to fight through half the opposing team eventually catches up with you, exhibit A - FUMBLE.

Tony Romo - Again, another better than expected year bar the 49ers opener. 2 things though.....clock management and the 'spin move'. Is it me, or is it always last second panic when changing protections/plays at the LoS?! He may get the ball off in time, but everything is so nervy when it's left to the last second.

That 'spin move'. Other people in the media have pointed it out, and last night it was overly apparent. You can only go back to the well so many times. Yes, the little step up, roll out and around to the left has worked, it got him out of JJ Watt's clutches for one, but players learn. He tried it a few times last night, once Merriweather was just sat waiting for him. Another time he started seeing ghosts, trying it when he didn't have to, and ending up ducking and diving to survive. For some reason he didn't want to throw the ball away, even when blitzes were coming straight at him, one of which led to the injury. Fair play to him, he came back in to tough it out. Final thought, could he have run for the 1st down on the final play of the game or was I expecting too much?

Play calling - Sticking with the offence. DeMarco Murray, 1st Cowboys possession in OT. 8 yard run. 2nd & 2. Pass. loss of a yard. 3rd & 3ish. Pass. Incomplete. 4th & 3ish. Pass. Incomplete. Game Over! STOP GETTING TOO CLEVER WITH THE PLAY CALL. RUN THE BALL. Seriously, it can't get more frustrating than that set of calls.

Missed Tackles - The last rant I promise. On more than one occasion in recent weeks we've missed on some open field tackles. The safeties are mainly at fault, and instead of facing 3rd & 5, the opposition are picking up 10 or 15 yards. McClain missed Morris, but he doesn't miss many, and showed up on other occasions. Wilcox, and especially Church last night though, they have to make tackles. Our defence isn't good enough to make mistakes and get away with them. Some of these plays are drive ending plays, but we make a mistake and the opposition comes away with 3 or 7 points.

Final thought - It's expecting too much to think we can play mistake free football week in and week out, but unless we do games will always come down to the final possession. Losing last night just illustrates how precarious our fortunes can be. It was a similar game to the Texans score-wise, we got away with it that night, we didn't yesterday. The offence can carry the 'average' D, but only if it's firing on all cylinders. If the offence makes mistakes and puts pressure on the D, they aren't going to bail us out.

Anyway, hopefully Romo's back is ok. Marinelli lights a fire under the D. And we come out swinging against the Cards in the hope of getting back on track before London.
Old 29.10.2014, 11:30 AM
Team Captain

I honestly don't think we'll play 2 games like that back to back, let's hope we can get back to winning ways against the Cardinals on Sunday.
Old 01.11.2014, 09:45 PM
Hall of Fame

So, it turns out Romo has 2 small 'fractures' in his back, two fractured transverse process to be exact. Apparently it isn't a big issue, if you can call 'fractures + back' not a big issue.

After a little reading.......the Transverse process' are basically the 2 'spurs' of bone that protrude either side of the vertebrae. They act as anchors for muscle and ligament connecting to the spinal column. Not sure were the fracture is, but the TP's in the upper spine affect the neck, the middle the ribs, and the lumber region affect the hips and legs. All of which will surely affect his ability to throw the ball in he short term.

I just hope this isn't another case of 'bending the truth' as was the case with the herniated disc surgery last time out.
Old 01.11.2014, 11:08 PM
Starter

I don't think he starts against Cardinals. Hope he can make it next week
Old 02.11.2014, 10:48 PM
Hall of Fame

I'm starting to get the feeling we should switch back over to the other 'worried about the Cowboys....' thread.

Last weeks 'stumble' turned into an official 'slump' this week. The Cards are obviously a better team than the 'skins, but a loss is a loss.

The worrying thing is the continued shift towards passing the ball. I know you have to keep the opposing defence 'honest', but after all the preaching of how this team is built to run, no matter what, the change in philosophy is becoming mildly annoying to say the least. I know we aren't really 'airing it out', but we should be running more than we pass, especially with Weeden as the starter.

Romo's efficiency at the start of the season was a direct result of the running game, and the threat that we'd run against any front. So why in the world would you decide to put the game in the hands of Brandon Weeden in his first start for the Cowboys?

The calls in this game, and the 'skins game, strike me as a case of over thinking what the defence expects. When we pass on 2nd down and fail, it often means the defence know we have to pass on 3rd down and tee off on us. If we have 3rd & 5 or shorter at least it gives us an option. Murray will get at least 5+ yards combined on 2 carries 90% of the time.

This game was close, and would have been closer bar a blocked FG. At 14 - 10 we should have been making sure we came away with at least a FG to get within 1pt. Instead, despite being in FG range, we put the ball back in Weeden's hands and turn it over.
Old 06.11.2014, 07:44 PM
Hall of Fame

What's Jerry like at all.

Re. Tony Romo. as per ESPN:

"I think it's realistic for him to play five more years," Jones said. "I'm aware of his back. Only God knows what is in store for his back. I've seen backs out there that you wouldn't believe how they look on the MRIs and how they look on X-rays.

"If you're concerned about his future, then look at his age, and you might say, boy, you need to be thinking about a time when he doesn't play. I don't look at it much differently than that with his back, because there have been three very different types of injuries that have caused him to miss games with his back."

"I'm planning on him having at least five years of playing at a level that would allow us to be possible contenders from that position, and maybe not doing some things that he had earlier as well or maybe with the energy or the efficiency he has, but maybe doing other things better. That's [what] happens in the NFL with players who play that position."

I'm planning on him playing for at least 5 years??? Jerry, it isn't 5 minutes since you said they basically had to restrain you in the draft room to prevent you from drafting Johnny Manziel! Now all of a sudden Tony is going to play till he's almost 40!