Happy with Hardy? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 18.03.2015, 10:03 PM
PMurphy81's Avatar
PMurphy81 PMurphy81 is offline
Team Captain
 
Join Date: 11.02.2014
Posts: 253
Default Happy with Hardy?

So Hardy signs and I've read a few comments on his private situation that some would be uncomfortable if he signed with their team.

Me personally I couldnt care less. I'm delighted that the cowboys have signed an elite pass rusher I will judge him what he does on the field. This whole role model thing sits very uncomfortable with me. A role model should be a parent or relative. Sport is an escape for me all about the results.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 18.03.2015, 10:14 PM
RichardCunliffe's Avatar
RichardCunliffe RichardCunliffe is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 13.09.2006
Posts: 18,297
Default

WHAT THE?! What happened to the 'he's facing a suspension' discount? A 1 year deal for $13.1m?! Ok, $11.3m of that is in 'incentives' apparently, but still, considering his situation, that is far from cheap.

2 things for me:

1) (if the alleged 'assault' took place) It clearly shows that winning is all that matters. Forget Garrett saying players need to be 'the right kind of guy' to play for the Cowboys, forget the Cowboys doing charitable work in the community (I would say in relation to domestic abuse, but I don't know if they do). This move goes against the grain, it's win at all cost.

2) How did they fit a potential $13m cap hit into our salary cap? Does this mean Romo is being restructured? Carr taking a pay cut? Dez's new contract being back loaded? What's the long term cost of adding Hardy for 1 year?

Yes, we all want to win, but this to me is Jerry having one last say. This is pushing the chips into the middle of the table. Jerry wants to win with Romo, and his best chance is 2015.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 19.03.2015, 05:56 PM
RichardCunliffe's Avatar
RichardCunliffe RichardCunliffe is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 13.09.2006
Posts: 18,297
Default

Here's a police statement from an article on Fox Sports:

“I, the undersigned, find that there is probable cause to believe that on or about the date of the offense shown [May 13, 2014] and in the county named above [Mecklenburg County, North Carolina] the defendant named above [Hardy] unlawfully and willingly did assault [redacted], a female person, by GRABBING VICTIM AND THROWING TO THE FLOOR, THROWING INTO A BATHTUB, SLAMMING HER AGAINST A FUTON, AND STRANGLING HER. The defendant is a male person and was at least 18 years of age when the assault occurred.”

Hmmm, doesn't sound great does it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20.03.2015, 11:48 AM
PMurphy81's Avatar
PMurphy81 PMurphy81 is offline
Team Captain
 
Join Date: 11.02.2014
Posts: 253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Here's a police statement from an article on Fox Sports:

“I, the undersigned, find that there is probable cause to believe that on or about the date of the offense shown [May 13, 2014] and in the county named above [Mecklenburg County, North Carolina] the defendant named above [Hardy] unlawfully and willingly did assault [redacted], a female person, by GRABBING VICTIM AND THROWING TO THE FLOOR, THROWING INTO A BATHTUB, SLAMMING HER AGAINST A FUTON, AND STRANGLING HER. The defendant is a male person and was at least 18 years of age when the assault occurred.”

Hmmm, doesn't sound great does it.
No I agree it doesnt sound great and if was proven should have been punished by the law.

If charges have now been dropped for whatever reason though surely thats the end to it but the NFL will probably make up a punishment for bringing it into disrepute or whatever the wording it puts on it.

Again I dont agree in any way shape or form for what he is allegedly supposed to have done but I bring up again that I follow him from a purely sporting standpoint and what he can bring to the cowboys.

If he is suspended he wont be bringing much to the team though.

Last edited by PMurphy81; 20.03.2015 at 12:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20.03.2015, 11:57 AM
RichardCunliffe's Avatar
RichardCunliffe RichardCunliffe is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 13.09.2006
Posts: 18,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMurphy81 View Post
No I agree it doesnt sound great and if was proven should have been punished by the law.

If charges have now been dropped for whatever reason though surely thats the end to it but the NFL will probably make up a punishment for bringing it into disrepute or whatever the wording it puts on it.

Again I dont agree in any way shape or form for what he is allegedly supposed to have done but I bring up again that I follow him from a purely sporting standpoint.
He was charged, but then wanted to challenge it in a court hearing. He has every right to, but I think we are all being naïve if we believe some sort of 'out of court settlement' wasn't involved in the accuser disappearing off the face of the earth.

I think some fans (not aimed at you) are taking the fact he wasn't punished by the law as some sort of excuse to brush what happened under the carpet and roll on towards the Superbowl oblivious to his actions.

For me, I can't do that. It could be seen as contradictory as other players have had criminal issues in the past. My defence is I can only oppose signings, once they are with us I have to live with it, I don't have to like it, just accept it for what it is.

I think my bigger issue is with all sports. The sliding scale of talent vs crime is way out of wack. It's a sad fact of life, Greg Hardy can earn $13m a year after an 'assault'. If it was a run of the mill veteran, he'd be on the street and probably find his career in taters.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20.03.2015, 05:33 PM
PMurphy81's Avatar
PMurphy81 PMurphy81 is offline
Team Captain
 
Join Date: 11.02.2014
Posts: 253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
He was charged, but then wanted to challenge it in a court hearing. He has every right to, but I think we are all being naïve if we believe some sort of 'out of court settlement' wasn't involved in the accuser disappearing off the face of the earth.

I think some fans (not aimed at you) are taking the fact he wasn't punished by the law as some sort of excuse to brush what happened under the carpet and roll on towards the Superbowl oblivious to his actions.

For me, I can't do that. It could be seen as contradictory as other players have had criminal issues in the past. My defence is I can only oppose signings, once they are with us I have to live with it, I don't have to like it, just accept it for what it is.

I think my bigger issue is with all sports. The sliding scale of talent vs crime is way out of wack. It's a sad fact of life, Greg Hardy can earn $13m a year after an 'assault'. If it was a run of the mill veteran, he'd be on the street and probably find his career in
taters.




I would be in that camp of brushing it under the carpet as to me sports is following the shirt and team. Individuals come and go but the team stays (well not all the time in American sports) so its all about the winning for me.
I get your point about if it was a veteran they would be finished but the business side dictates that if the cowboys win a superbowl and pay him the 13mill and get some bad PR then its probably a small price to pay.

Last edited by PMurphy81; 20.03.2015 at 05:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20.03.2015, 05:47 PM
RichardCunliffe's Avatar
RichardCunliffe RichardCunliffe is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 13.09.2006
Posts: 18,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMurphy81 View Post
I would be in that camp of brushing it under the carpet as to me sports is following the shirt and team. Individuals come and go but the team stays (well not all the time in American sports) so its all about the winning for me.
I get your point about if it was a veteran they would be finished but the business side dictates that if the cowboys win a superbowl and pay him the 13mill and get some bad PR then its probably a small price to pay. But the question is still there if Hardy has not been found guilty of a crime why should he not play?
I completely understand that view point, but as I said, his wealth has basically allowed him to sidestep the issue.

No doubt he adds to our pass rush though, with training camp and his suspension he should be able to shake off the rust and be raring to go when he returns.

Talk is he'll be the RDE. I have an issue with that too (no surprise eh?! ). Lawrence showed good strides to me at RDE when he started last season. Now we are moving him over to the other side and he'll be starting all over again. Then what happens if Hardy is a 1 year deal and doesn't return? We move Lawrence back over to the RDE? So he'll be in his 3rd season by then and won't have settled on a position yet!

Obviously that's a long way off and something to see further down the line. As it stands we have Hardy/Mincey at RDE, and Lawrence/Gardner? at LDE. That's a good rotation for waves of pass rush.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 20.03.2015, 06:11 PM
PMurphy81's Avatar
PMurphy81 PMurphy81 is offline
Team Captain
 
Join Date: 11.02.2014
Posts: 253
Default

Hopefully Lawrence can add even more to his game working alongside Hardy.
certainty looking a solid group.

Looking forward to the draft now. Its true when said there is no off season in the NFL.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 20.03.2015, 07:03 PM
RichardCunliffe's Avatar
RichardCunliffe RichardCunliffe is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 13.09.2006
Posts: 18,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMurphy81 View Post
Hopefully Lawrence can add even more to his game working alongside Hardy.
certainty looking a solid group.

Looking forward to the draft now. Its true when said there is no off season in the NFL.
Great isn't it!

*although I always find June/July is quite slow.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06.04.2015, 02:22 AM
Bentley2012 Bentley2012 is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: 06.04.2015
Posts: 2
Default

Here is where I am with the Hardy situation. American media blew this one up because of the ray rice incident. Read the Charlotte observer neutral detail of only the facts and make your own opinion then. Also reports are that the photos that the NFL just viewed are favoring Hardys account of the incident. The mekelberg county could have pursued charges without the victim and they did not
Drop the charges because she was not found. The charges were dropped because the district attorney could not in good ethics vouch for her credibility. Her story changed a few times and her injuries were not consistent with her claims no where near what they would have been if he did what she claimed.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 11:57 AM.