Politics - Page 1659 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Entertainment/News

Old 24.06.2019, 08:07 PM
Hall of Fame

so from Radio 4 this morning facebook have found no evidence of Russian interference in the Brexit vote using there platform

so today we all agree with Nick......

also last week Chris Davis was kicked out as an MP by 20% of the voters signing the petition so another by election is coming but he has now been selected as the conservative candidate to fight the by-election.its almost like they don't want to win.

this could cut the conservative/DUP majority to 3.

also the Brexit party have officially filed paperwork to investigate the Peterborough by election.

Last edited by lee harris 10; 24.06.2019 at 08:28 PM.
Old 24.06.2019, 09:08 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
so from Radio 4 this morning facebook have found no evidence of Russian interference in the Brexit vote using there platform

so today we all agree with Nick......

also last week Chris Davis was kicked out as an MP by 20% of the voters signing the petition so another by election is coming but he has now been selected as the conservative candidate to fight the by-election.its almost like they don't want to win.

this could cut the conservative/DUP majority to 3.

also the Brexit party have officially filed paperwork to investigate the Peterborough by election.
No evidence of a,significant attempt. Doesn't mean they didn't try.

The threshold to trigger recall is 10% of the electorate, so double the number needed.
Old 25.06.2019, 09:18 AM
All Pro

Quote:
sorry to flog a dead horse but why would Boris want to do these useless tv debates when the 16 conservative party events for the members who will vote are all that matters in getting elected leader of the party.

there are conservative MP's seemingly on tv/radio every hour either doing proxy interviews for Boris/Jeremy and the papers are full of leaked policies if we need more information.
OK. You saw him on the Beeb last night no doubt? If you did I think you might agree we all know why he DOES NOT want to do TV and Radio, he's a bumbling incompetent with no grasp of facts. He's also got a track record that makes Basil Fawltey look organised and just can't be defended. It's nicely summed up here:

https://www.snp.org/boris-johnson-wh...-pm-contender/

Now. As to why he SHOULD. He has a chance to be the UK's next Prime Minister. For that reason alone he should use every opportunity to reach out beyond his entrenched core support and get his message out. He's also making some pretty bold promises, promises that seem to be caveated with all sorts of cloudy language when anyone asks questions about them. He's saying we'll be out of the UK by 31st October but not how? He's promising billions of pounds in tax cuts, mostly for the rich, but all are uncosted. Where's the money coming from?

It's not about whether he, Boris, gains anything from debating; it's just the right thing to do. You could say the same about Jeremy Hunt although, of course, we know why he DOES want Boris to debate. It' so that more people can see what a bumbling incompetent he is.

Last edited by LesterHayes; 25.06.2019 at 09:21 AM.
Old 25.06.2019, 09:57 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Like what? Facebook algorithms are designed to send users content they want to see right? So just place lots of stuff targeting a certain demographic online and let the code do the rest? No "interference". Simples.

Here's the article in full. Not quite as cut and dried as you suggest really Lee?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48740231

It doesn't mean that Russia, or anyone else for that matter, didn't influence the Brexit vote does it?

Quote:
I guess Nigel doesn't do irony?

Last edited by LesterHayes; 25.06.2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 25.06.2019, 05:57 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesterHayes View Post
OK. You saw him on the Beeb last night no doubt? If you did I think you might agree we all know why he DOES NOT want to do TV and Radio, he's a bumbling incompetent with no grasp of facts. He's also got a track record that makes Basil Fawltey look organised and just can't be defended. It's nicely summed up here:

https://www.snp.org/boris-johnson-wh...-pm-contender/

Now. As to why he SHOULD. He has a chance to be the UK's next Prime Minister. For that reason alone he should use every opportunity to reach out beyond his entrenched core support and get his message out. He's also making some pretty bold promises, promises that seem to be caveated with all sorts of cloudy language when anyone asks questions about them. He's saying we'll be out of the UK by 31st October but not how? He's promising billions of pounds in tax cuts, mostly for the rich, but all are uncosted. Where's the money coming from?

It's not about whether he, Boris, gains anything from debating; it's just the right thing to do. You could say the same about Jeremy Hunt although, of course, we know why he DOES want Boris to debate. It' so that more people can see what a bumbling incompetent he is.
and today Boris was on not one but two radio stations doing pretty long interviews so guess that's him dodging the media again.
Old 25.06.2019, 06:07 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by iffies View Post
The threshold to trigger recall is 10% of the electorate, so double the number needed.
Lib Dems are favourites with the bookies but if the conservatives are smart they will try to delay the by-election till after they get there new leader in place or they will leak enough votes to the Brexit party to split the vote enough for another loss for the government.
Old 25.06.2019, 06:13 PM
Hall of Fame

so guessing there's no problem with Sir Ed Davey talking about an alliance to "decapitate the blond head in uxbridge" in a snap GE.
Old 25.06.2019, 07:32 PM
Hall of Fame

so looks like after been touted all weekend that Corbyn would finally come out with the official Brexit stance it now seems because the meeting he had with the Union bosses its now looking like another fortnight even though the shadow cabinet are all pushing for them to become fully remain.
Old 25.06.2019, 11:21 PM
MVP

Quote:
and today Boris was on not one but two radio stations doing pretty long interviews so guess that's him dodging the media again.
picking carefully though, isn't he? Nick Ferrari on LBC, the guy who gives JRM a platform almost every week. Didn't Boris want to hang around until a bit later to speak to James O'Brien? Or the Scottish chap who ran rings around Liz Truss, Boris Backer in chief, a few months ago?
Old 25.06.2019, 11:30 PM
MVP

Starting to think that time could be Boris's enemy here. I think if the members vote was immediately after the final 2 were confirmed he would have been fine, but with several weeks to go he seems to be wobbling. Sort of reminds me of when a team goes 1-0 up too early and they try to sit on the lead, which is the tactic Boris tried to adopt with keeping quiet and not really speaking to people.

Have to say I agree with the journalist who was his old boss who said he is thoroughly unfit to be PM. The man has no integrity whatsoever and he just plays to the gallery. Which in the current political climate is very dangerous indeed. He's gone from tax cuts to the rich to saying he'll be helping the poor first within the space of a week. He'll literally say anything, won't he? And I think someone who will say or do anything to ensure he preserves his own position is a dangerous thing for a leader. There was a good piece on the radio once about Boris's book on Churchill, and how Boris seemed to think Churchill chose to take on the ****s because he thought that's what would play best. That tells you how Boris thinks. 'what will make me look best, what do I stand to gain from?'. Luckily for us, Churchill was not like that, he did what was right, not what he thought would play well.

I think the most disappointing thing of all is how many Tory MPs can't see that, or can see it and don't care. You expect it of lunatics like Leadsom and the miniature human balloon, but I for one do not think that half of the Tory parliamentary party are idiots. Which means some of them should be taking a look at themselves.

And I still haven't had any answers about what conservative values Boris embodies. And since I asked that question, he's only gotten worse with his Camberwell domestic row. That picture released in all the papers... I bet that turns out to be an old photo too. Even Ferrari tried to call him out on that. All very cringe.