Farewell to the forum - Page 4 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Announcements > New on NFLUK.com

  #31  
Old 29.06.2019, 01:00 PM
BritishBronco's Avatar
BritishBronco BritishBronco is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 10.10.2007
Posts: 5,018
Default

Can't really add much more to the comments above but I've been a member here nearly 12 years and this place is chiefly responsible for building and maintaining both my interest in the NFL and my knowledge of it when I was first getting into the sport. It was a fantastic thriving forum which has been slowly strangled of much of its life. I've began only visiting during the season and even that has been difficult as the forum has crashed most of the times I've tried to log in. I don't know how responsible Qualcomm is or if he is just a bit of a fall guy but he has definitely come to represent the complete failure to give a damn about what was a very good community on here. To then cheerfully ask for our 'favourite moments' just seems like taking the ****.

I have no interest in posting on the Facebook site which is no replacement at all - it's a completely different type of format where you don't get the thought out posts and wide ranging topics you get on here. Maybe it has its place as well but to act like it's either or and you can't maintain the forum while still having an active Facebook page is nonsense
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 29.06.2019, 03:05 PM
European Bob's Avatar
European Bob European Bob is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 11.01.2012
Posts: 8,299
Default

**** Facebook.

**** NFLUK.

Tried to get Bucs Panthers tickets on Thursday and ******* Ticketmaster bounced me out. My reaction was not one of despair or upset or outrage, but rather ‘**** this, can’t be arsed’. And that pretty much sums up where i am with NFL in this country. I’ll follow the sport, I’ll buy Gamepass, I’ll talk about NFL with friends. But from an NFL UK perspective I’m done with it. I don’t want to read your *****y social media posts and the inane comments they attract.

Thanks to the users I’ve discussed and debated with over the years. It’s been fun. Personally I’m not going to join another forum though, I think it’s time I spent less of my precious free time on the NFL and more on other things.

Cheers

EB
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 29.06.2019, 03:27 PM
wayne ellis's Avatar
wayne ellis wayne ellis is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 31.10.2005
Posts: 23,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
**** Facebook.

**** NFLUK.

Tried to get Bucs Panthers tickets on Thursday and ******* Ticketmaster bounced me out. My reaction was not one of despair or upset or outrage, but rather ‘**** this, can’t be arsed’. And that pretty much sums up where i am with NFL in this country. I’ll follow the sport, I’ll buy Gamepass, I’ll talk about NFL with friends. But from an NFL UK perspective I’m done with it. I don’t want to read your *****y social media posts and the inane comments they attract.

Thanks to the users I’ve discussed and debated with over the years. It’s been fun. Personally I’m not going to join another forum though, I think it’s time I spent less of my precious free time on the NFL and more on other things.

Cheers

EB
Sadly Bob, I suspect you’re far from alone in this. NFLUK has treated it’s loyal fanbase so shabbily, in terms of this forum and IS ticket sales, that it’s almost like they’re trying to drive us away. Don’t think I’ve seen even a hint of an apology over yet another year of ticket fiascos, and it sadly doesn’t surprise me. Cheers for your many contributions here over the years!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 29.06.2019, 04:01 PM
RichardCunliffe's Avatar
RichardCunliffe RichardCunliffe is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 13.09.2006
Posts: 18,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
**** Facebook.

**** NFLUK.

Tried to get Bucs Panthers tickets on Thursday and ******* Ticketmaster bounced me out. My reaction was not one of despair or upset or outrage, but rather ‘**** this, can’t be arsed’. And that pretty much sums up where i am with NFL in this country. I’ll follow the sport, I’ll buy Gamepass, I’ll talk about NFL with friends. But from an NFL UK perspective I’m done with it. I don’t want to read your *****y social media posts and the inane comments they attract.

Thanks to the users I’ve discussed and debated with over the years. It’s been fun. Personally I’m not going to join another forum though, I think it’s time I spent less of my precious free time on the NFL and more on other things.

Cheers

EB
Just echoing Wayne really.

Sad to hear this EB, but I sympathise with how you feel. Must admit, I was very close to adopting the same approach as you when I heard the news. Sometimes in life you have to reorder your priorities a little.

Anyway, thanks for the contributions you've made to this place over the years, it was always interesting to hear your views on a myriad of things.

All the best for the future.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 29.06.2019, 04:28 PM
European Bob's Avatar
European Bob European Bob is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 11.01.2012
Posts: 8,299
Default

Thanks both of you, and I wish you and all the other many great contributors we’ve had over the years nothing but the best. I’ve genuinely learned an awful lot about the sport from being on this forum and I hope I’ve taught others a few things too. You just won’t get that off Facebook. Not that I’d know anymore as I permanently deleted my Facebook account about 18 months ago and honestly it was one of the best things I’ve ever done. There is a really solid and knowledgable base of fans in this country and they aren’t always the people who are at the London games or getting their twitter posts read out on Sky. Anyway, all the best to everyone.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 29.06.2019, 08:50 PM
nick_chicane's Avatar
nick_chicane nick_chicane is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 10.09.2006
Posts: 6,313
Default

This is sad. 13 years I've been floating around here each season. I cant believe it costs much to keep something like this running. The main problem is that a lot of the younger generation now aren't interested in actual conversations, they are too used to the likes of Twitter where you're limited in how much you can say. Conversation is dead to them. I too wont be moving to facebook, I have no desire to trade memes with idiots who probably couldn't even tell me who Brett Favre is.

I may well find myself over at UKNFLFAN once the season draws nearer and see who's made the transition. This has been a fantastic forum over the years, probably the one place I've visited that was never taken over by trolls and adult, interesting conversation could be found wherever you looked. Obviously, a bit of friendly banter along the way too with my fellow NFC East fans.

I'll genuinely miss this forum. Its just a shame the powers that be believe that theres no place for intelligent conversation anymore. Take care one and all.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 29.06.2019, 11:08 PM
wayne ellis's Avatar
wayne ellis wayne ellis is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 31.10.2005
Posts: 23,572
Default

This is what currently sits at (or near) the top of the “official” NFL UK Facebook group:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hLEqels1X-M

This is what passes as quality content, clearly much better than what you get on a forum...
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 30.06.2019, 04:28 AM
boknows34's Avatar
boknows34 boknows34 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 03.03.2006
Posts: 15,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
This is what currently sits at (or near) the top of the “official” NFL UK Facebook group:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hLEqels1X-M

This is what passes as quality content, clearly much better than what you get on a forum...
If that’s what NFLUK are looking for they should be embarrassed and ashamed of themselves. Facebook and Twitter can be used effectively but only for making important announcements such as the weekly game selections on SKY, ticket news for the London Series and the annual Super Bash, which also got the axe a few years ago when instead they should’ve been expanding it across the country.

The NFLUK Facebook group should be ONLY be used exclusively by those within NFLUK to communicate important information and announcements. Instead it’s a pathetic, inane, immature and shambolic mess.

Social media is quite simply not suitable as a platform for discussion. Anyone with half a brain cell can see that. Unfortunately everybody at NFLUK is too ******* thick to realise this. If this forum was considered broken beyond repair then just reboot it, start a new one and use Twitter to promote it. But they couldn’t be bothered to try. Long term loyal fans like many here past and present, who have given a lot to the sport in this country, defended it against the trolls and idiots, attended Super Bash and the IS games, have been given the middle finger.

Footballs Future have a thriving forum community with much the same setup of topics and sub forums as you find here including Off Topic, College and the 32 individual team forums. They also successfully relaunched a new forum a year or so ago, but still kept the old forum alive as a read-only archive.

They moved from:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/


To:

https://forums.footballsfuture.com


Now why couldn’t the same be done here?

Last edited by boknows34; 30.06.2019 at 05:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 30.06.2019, 04:43 AM
boknows34's Avatar
boknows34 boknows34 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 03.03.2006
Posts: 15,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
**** Facebook.

**** NFLUK.

Tried to get Bucs Panthers tickets on Thursday and ******* Ticketmaster bounced me out. My reaction was not one of despair or upset or outrage, but rather ‘**** this, can’t be arsed’. And that pretty much sums up where i am with NFL in this country. I’ll follow the sport, I’ll buy Gamepass, I’ll talk about NFL with friends. But from an NFL UK perspective I’m done with it. I don’t want to read your *****y social media posts and the inane comments they attract.

Thanks to the users I’ve discussed and debated with over the years. It’s been fun. Personally I’m not going to join another forum though, I think it’s time I spent less of my precious free time on the NFL and more on other things.

Cheers

EB
You’ve been one of the forum legends Bob and it’s been a pleasure to read your astute thoughts and opinions over the past few years. My feelings are exactly the same as yours. In fact I didn’t even bother renewing my Wembley season ticket which were great seats, and didn’t even bother trying to buy tickets at Tottenham for Bears v Raiders. I didn’t even get as far as you. I couldn’t even be arsed to try and buy tickets which would’ve been unthinkable a few years ago.

I’m still a huge fan of the NFL stateside and will subscribe to Gamepass and the Lindy’s season preview each year. Hopefully I’ll also visit Vegas some day and attend a Raiders game in their new stadium. As for NFLUK though and their ridiculous propaganda of a franchise, they can get ******* stuffed.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 30.06.2019, 02:20 PM
BuffaloG's Avatar
BuffaloG BuffaloG is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 12.10.2014
Posts: 4,496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
If that’s what NFLUK are looking for they should be embarrassed and ashamed of themselves. Facebook and Twitter can be used effectively but only for making important announcements such as the weekly game selections on SKY, ticket news for the London Series and the annual Super Bash, which also got the axe a few years ago when instead they should’ve been expanding it across the country.

The NFLUK Facebook group should be ONLY be used exclusively by those within NFLUK to communicate important information and announcements. Instead it’s a pathetic, inane, immature and shambolic mess.

Social media is quite simply not suitable as a platform for discussion. Anyone with half a brain cell can see that. Unfortunately everybody at NFLUK is too ******* thick to realise this. If this forum was considered broken beyond repair then just reboot it, start a new one and use Twitter to promote it. But they couldn’t be bothered to try. Long term loyal fans like many here past and present, who have given a lot to the sport in this country, defended it against the trolls and idiots, attended Super Bash and the IS games, have been given the middle finger.

Footballs Future have a thriving forum community with much the same setup of topics and sub forums as you find here including Off Topic, College and the 32 individual team forums. They also successfully relaunched a new forum a year or so ago, but still kept the old forum alive as a read-only archive.

They moved from:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/


To:

https://forums.footballsfuture.com


Now why couldn’t the same be done here?
Football's Future is the answer when people say forums are dying. It's BS.

Its a simple stable platform which almost entirely self polices and people balance sense of humour and seriousness. Sustained by a few ads which don't causes annoyance

Guess what, its massively successful. No chat boxes, no silly novelty just decent people

For those on there, my username is BigMountainGoat
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 02:58 AM.