Politics - Page 1664 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Entertainment/News

Old 21.07.2019, 06:28 PM
Hall of Fame

great to see Darren Grimes "winning" in the high court on Friday and showing that the electoral commission is a joke wasting tax payers money on flawed investigations.
Old 21.07.2019, 10:31 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
works for me................

yet you still havent stated why you want terrible idiots running countries.
Old 21.07.2019, 11:06 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-minute drill View Post
the world is f'ed cos it's going to be trump and bojo . please don't say biden would be your choice for the Dems.

imo play the kryptonite card with bernie/ gabbard, or maybe kamala harris, and corbyn. proper anti-war and imperialism.

i'm sick of labour revisionism and newism. and yank military industrial complex and saber rattling stooges.
From what I know of the Democrats' choices so far I don't like any of them. Biden isn't someone I would back - too much negative baggage. When Trump won in 2016 I doubted he'd make it through 4 years. Now, I think he will win again in 2020. And not because I think he's done a good job...

As for here, Labour won't get into power until they have a new leader. You can't really put your agenda across effectively if you aren't in power. They are haemorrhaging votes among their sizeable anti-Brexit supporter base to the Lib Dems and Corbyn just doesn't seem to get it. The UK is not a left-wing country - there isn't the appetite for Corbyn's brand of Labour across a wide enough spectrum. Don't mistake the 2017 result for this: firstly, it wasn't enough anyway, and secondly people were making their voices heard against the Tories and Brexit. But the Lib Dems seem to have woken up now and their position on Brexit is far less ambiguous.
Old 22.07.2019, 05:16 AM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
From what I know of the Democrats' choices so far I don't like any of them. Biden isn't someone I would back - too much negative baggage. When Trump won in 2016 I doubted he'd make it through 4 years. Now, I think he will win again in 2020. And not because I think he's done a good job...

As for here, Labour won't get into power until they have a new leader. You can't really put your agenda across effectively if you aren't in power. They are haemorrhaging votes among their sizeable anti-Brexit supporter base to the Lib Dems and Corbyn just doesn't seem to get it. The UK is not a left-wing country - there isn't the appetite for Corbyn's brand of Labour across a wide enough spectrum. Don't mistake the 2017 result for this: firstly, it wasn't enough anyway, and secondly people were making their voices heard against the Tories and Brexit. But the Lib Dems seem to have woken up now and their position on Brexit is far less ambiguous.

if anything the dems have too many good options at this moment, mostly talking policies rather than playing silly games. they could do with thinning this silly crowded field down though to 8 or so before the real business starts.

if Biden wanted to the right kind of impact he would pull out of the Democratic race and primary Trump, a good case was made that he is more of a classic Republican.

sticking to the issues and not playing his game is the only hope they have with that bunch though. the only way to go toe to toe with Trump and beat him is with someone just as silly like the Rock.

i fear the silly system they have means he will win again, despite doing an awful job because of the hate his base lap up.

i think if Corbyn clearly lays out his plans, smooths off the edges then he has a shot as the Tories have made a right mess. he is far from the perfect leader but better than Boris and would take things in a better direction.

although the Tories do tend to win in the end maybe there is a bit of hope a Lib Lab coalition might be possible.

at this moment Brexit will likely be solved before a GE, given the time left and position of the Tories. so that half way position might not have an impact.

Last edited by goodkarma84; 22.07.2019 at 05:30 AM.
Old 22.07.2019, 06:12 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
i think if Corbyn clearly lays out his plans, smooths off the edges then he has a shot as the Tories have made a right mess. he is far from the perfect leader but better than Boris and would take things in a better direction.

although the Tories do tend to win in the end maybe there is a bit of hope a Lib Lab coalition might be possible.

at this moment Brexit will likely be solved before a GE, given the time left and position of the Tories. so that half way position might not have an impact.
The trouble with Corbyn is his close advisors. Private school Marxists. He seems to listen to them more than MPs who have been close to him for years like McDonnell and Abbott - even they are badgering him to unequivocally declare Labour as a Remain party. Which it is anyway if you look at membership and MPs.

But I don't think he has a shot. I hear time and again from people that no matter how much they fear the consequences of Brexit, they fear a Corbyn government more. His best hope would be Tories losing votes to the Lib Dems in terms of that centre right element of the voters (who vote Tory but aren't party members - there are a lot of them. My parents fall into this category. They hate Brexit but they will never vote for Corbyn ever). But I think if that happens Labour will lose votes to the Lib Dems too. I also think the Lib Dems won't be rushing into coalition after last time. They were extremely badly burned by that. The DUP has showed how to do the minority role. Confidence and supply, extract huge concessions and tell the government to get stuffed when you don't agree.

Agree that there will be no GE before Brexit though. Boris can't run one if he fails to take UK out of EU before 31 Oct having promised it so clearly. Even in today's post-fact world I can't see him surviving that one at the ballot box. I suppose he could run GE in September but there seems no time for that now. And No Deal on 31st would be so bad in the short term I can't see him running a quick GE afterwards either. He'd need time for the country to find its feet again. But of course that runs the risk of Labour getting a new leader. If they replace Corbyn I can't see a GE being called at all unless forced by parliament.
Old 22.07.2019, 02:20 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
The trouble with Corbyn is his close advisors. Private school Marxists. He seems to listen to them more than MPs who have been close to him for years like McDonnell and Abbott - even they are badgering him to unequivocally declare Labour as a Remain party. Which it is anyway if you look at membership and MPs.

But I don't think he has a shot. I hear time and again from people that no matter how much they fear the consequences of Brexit, they fear a Corbyn government more. His best hope would be Tories losing votes to the Lib Dems in terms of that centre right element of the voters (who vote Tory but aren't party members - there are a lot of them. My parents fall into this category. They hate Brexit but they will never vote for Corbyn ever). But I think if that happens Labour will lose votes to the Lib Dems too. I also think the Lib Dems won't be rushing into coalition after last time. They were extremely badly burned by that. The DUP has showed how to do the minority role. Confidence and supply, extract huge concessions and tell the government to get stuffed when you don't agree.

Agree that there will be no GE before Brexit though. Boris can't run one if he fails to take UK out of EU before 31 Oct having promised it so clearly. Even in today's post-fact world I can't see him surviving that one at the ballot box. I suppose he could run GE in September but there seems no time for that now. And No Deal on 31st would be so bad in the short term I can't see him running a quick GE afterwards either. He'd need time for the country to find its feet again. But of course that runs the risk of Labour getting a new leader. If they replace Corbyn I can't see a GE being called at all unless forced by parliament.

i do tend to question that sort of fear of Corbyn, as it is a very Tory POV to talk like he is the devil. when most of his positions are reasonable.

at this point his position is remain and second vote though, the only time it changes is at a GE where he would offer up a Labour Brexit (it seems.)

the problem with that first coalition was pretty obvious from the start, the Tories are on the opposite side and care about there party first, then wealthy and playing to the Daily Mail racists which make up there core.

it was always a bad call and a silly way to grab some power, they were so poor at negotiating they couldnt even get a proper referendum on voting reform, instead it was half arsed and failed.

they had to cave on most of there positions and the best claim they can make is that they rained the Torys in a bit, but could of had an impact in a similar way without joining forces.

the fair and reasonable way out of this impasse (not even the most deluded Brexit backer can claim nothing has changed) is to have a second vote, remain or leave with whatever deal or no deal Boris wants to put there.
and then let the country give a mandate to run the country based off of that in a GE.
what will happen is Boris will try and pretend he can get a great new deal, fail and then try and force a no deal and then cling to power for as long as he can.
Old 22.07.2019, 07:37 PM
MVP

Glad to read that exclusive in the Mail on Sunday that this leak of the Sir Kim Darroch cables was nothing to do with Brexit at all. It was a budding 19-year-old journalist who uncovered it as part of some 'investigations' he was doing. Oh, and he just happened to have worked for political website Westmonster, owned by Aaron Banks, Brexit's biggest financial backer, and also to work for the Brexit Party, set up by businessman Richard Tice. Obviously if you're a civil servant with something to leak, you don't take it to a well known journalist, you give your top quality stuff to a 19-year-old kid with no track record. And rather than get the biggest story he'll ever have in his life published under his own byline - who wouldn't be interested in that story if approached? - he decides to approach Isabel Oakeshott of the Mail on Sunday, and the article gets published in her name only. That's the same Isabel Oakeshott who ghost wrote Aaron Banks's autobiography, who separated from her husband in 2018 and is now shacked up with Richard Tice, and who is pally with Nigel Farage. She is the journalist at a major newspaper with the closest links to the Brexit Party. She also sat on information regarding Banks and Russian officials which she uncovered while writing his autobiography. After publication of the cables, Farage wrote an article demanding Darroch be sacked and Tice was all over TV saying the ambassador needed to be removed and replaced by a pro-Brexit businessman.

But this had nothing to do with Brexit.

Last edited by European Bob; 22.07.2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 23.07.2019, 11:04 AM
All Pro

Well, that's that then. Boris it is.

We are totally f u c k e d.
Old 23.07.2019, 12:05 PM
MVP

Boris and Donald. What a time to be alive...
Old 23.07.2019, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iffies View Post
Boris and Donald. What a time to be alive...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesterHayes View Post
Well, that's that then. Boris it is.

We are totally f u c k e d.
Boris and Donald, Jeremy H and Donald, Jeremy C and Donald. We were f├╝cked regardless...