Bradshaw on Peyton: If you like losing Super Bowls, he - Page 5 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 30.06.2014, 06:17 PM
MVP

If I was Marino there'd be no peace in my mind about missing a ring. I'd still pretty regularly think "what if... if only..."

If I was Dilfer I'd not give a flying [inaudible mumble] about what others thought.
Old 30.06.2014, 08:09 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
Kinda. Yet not always

Would you rather be Dan Marino or Trent Dilfer?

Dilfer has and will always have the ring, but is kind of used as the posterboy for mediocrity (as I'm using him now). His name is kind of a slur.

Marino is respected hugely and much loved for his achievements. He's an all time great.

Taken to that extreme I'd rather have Marino's career, but in lesser cases you'd want the ring.
Why are we restricting this to quarterbacks? Would you rather be Barry Sanders or Joseph Addai? Steve Largent or Joe Jurevicius? Brian Urlacher or Gary Brackett?
Old 30.06.2014, 08:14 PM
Hall of Fame

Talking

I would rather be Jay Z
Old 01.07.2014, 11:46 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
Kinda. Yet not always

Would you rather be Dan Marino or Trent Dilfer?

Dilfer has and will always have the ring, but is kind of used as the posterboy for mediocrity (as I'm using him now). His name is kind of a slur.

Marino is respected hugely and much loved for his achievements. He's an all time great.

Taken to that extreme I'd rather have Marino's career, but in lesser cases you'd want the ring.
The ring thing is all about the team and luck. Marino had a stellar career but he didn't have the luck to be with a gang which could beat the 49ers. Dilfer has a ring because he happened to be lucky enough to be there when his team was hauled out of a long period of mediocrity and went all the way. In terms of the way your career goes, you'd want to be Marino. In terms of achieving success by being the best of the year, you'd want to be Dilfer. But you're not comparing like with like.