Randy Gregory gets 4 game suspension for substance abuse. - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 19.02.2016, 09:21 PM
Hall of Fame

Default Randy Gregory gets 4 game suspension for substance abuse.

Great move!

We'll wait to see what kind of substance.
Old 19.02.2016, 10:27 PM
Hall of Fame

The nfl are doing a friday news dump,3rd person to get suspended In the last few hours.
Old 20.02.2016, 12:41 AM
GOAT

Rapport
Per NFL drug policy, Randy Gregory failed 4 tests. 1st at combine -- in the program. Then 2-gm fine, then 4-gm fine, then 4-gm suspension

shame the guy couldnt clean up his act.
Old 20.02.2016, 08:58 AM
All Pro

Great like we don't have enough trouble on D line as it is, when you sign players with drug problems this is the result, we won't really miss him anyway going on last season, Bosa is looking good!
Old 20.02.2016, 10:16 AM
Hall of Fame

What a farce .....4!, 4 failed tests!

Now he may overcome these issues, hopefully he does, but when the guy was known to have a huge drugs problem in college surely you need to be testing him day in, day out as a franchise if you choose to draft him?!

It's hindsight but the Cowboys passed on Tevin Coleman, Duke Johnson, David Johnson and Jeremy Langford with the 60th pick to draft Gregory. If he can't kick this habit, and like I said he's had the problem for years now, then that's a wasted 2nd round pick. Chaz Green needs to become at least the swing tackle or we basically got Byron Jones out of the 2015 Draft and that's it (Damien Wilson too maybe).

Nick Boyle, a Baltimore Ravens TE was suspended for 10 games recently having already served a similar ban to the one Gregory has just been hit with. You get the feeling that's the next step for Gregory too.

Oh, and if this makes it impossible not to resign Greg Hardy because we have no pass rush, then that'll be 2 DE's with off the field issues on the roster when it should have been none!
Old 20.02.2016, 01:21 PM
Hall of Fame

So by the time Gregory is back after week 4 he will have been in the league for 20 games but only earned 10 pay checks,the guy needs to learn.
Old 20.02.2016, 04:41 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
So by the time Gregory is back after week 4 he will have been in the league for 20 games but only earned 10 pay checks,the guy needs to learn.
From a career perspective this will be his 2nd season that gets off to a stuttering start. Ok, injury derailed his rookie season but he still missed 4 games and didn't make a tackle until week 10.

It's a repeat of last year with Hardy, one pass rusher down for the first 4 games.
Old 20.02.2016, 07:09 PM
All Pro

Hes a let down both and off the field, most of the blame has to lie with the front office who knew the problems he had but still drafted him, its win at all costs strategy which is biting back-as Hardy, surely we have to look at Bosa now? unless we pay for someone in free agency which is going to be tough, Charles Johnson i like but hes no spring chicken in nfl terms and had injury probs, do we have a starting DE? Mincey wants to come back but thats hardly going to help much..oh dear
Old 20.02.2016, 07:31 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar1963 View Post
Hes a let down both and off the field, most of the blame has to lie with the front office who knew the problems he had but still drafted him, its win at all costs strategy which is biting back-as Hardy, surely we have to look at Bosa now? unless we pay for someone in free agency which is going to be tough, Charles Johnson i like but hes no spring chicken in nfl terms and had injury probs, do we have a starting DE? Mincey wants to come back but thats hardly going to help much..oh dear
Taking risks is all part of the process, to varying degrees, but what I don't get is how a guy with a MASSIVE drugs problem in college can fail 4 tests.

The talk leading up to the draft was that his problem was so bad some teams took him off their draft board. So if you draft the guy then you need some sort of test in place to keep him on the straight and narrow. How much would it cost to test Gregory day in, day out, to make sure he's staying clean? Surely not that much, especially for the Cowboys. Now perhaps there is something in the CBA that prevents that but he should have had a baby sitter 24/7.

You have to hope this is a wake up call for the organisation too. Hopefully he isn't a lost cause. He'll be back after 4 games next season, and no doubt on 'strike 2' if not 'strike 3', so he knows he needs to make it count.

They do need a contingency plan though, and I'd suggest Mincey is that option. He isn't going to break any records but he can do a job for one more year. I don't think this incident will affect their 1st round pick in 2016 but it could mean they look to add depth in later rounds.
Old 20.02.2016, 09:46 PM
All Pro

You dont think? i suggest they need to make a fresh start on D line after this, get rid of Hardy, draft Bosa maybe sign someone on free agency, and give Gregory one last shot, i just have the feeling if he hasnt changed by now he never will, i hate drugs in all sport and life and have no time for users thats just my opinion-obviously not the Cowboys front office