Kirk Cousins - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 14.07.2017, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Exactly. And I personally think that it's just going to get more lopsided.

It doesn't matter if you're JJ Watt, Aaron Donald, Khalil Mack, players breaking the scale of what we expect, the truth is you could trade Watt for Kirk Cousins and the Texans chance of success increases.

One defender just doesn't make enough down to down impact. It's only a matter of time I think before other QBs do what Cousins is doing. And tbh I think the Tag might go with the next CBA and the QB contracts can take a life of their own.
Old 14.07.2017, 09:11 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
If Mike Glennon can earn $15m on the open market then I'd say $25m for a franchise QB is actually a bargain. That $10m is the difference between 5-11 and looking for another unproven QB in the draft or a playoff team at 11-5. A lot of teams waste more than $10m every year in cap space on dead money alone.

The reason it isn't more than $25m is that franchise QBs in their prime never reach the open market. How much do you think cap rich teams like the Browns or 49ers would offer an Aaron Rodgers, Derek Carr or Russell Wilson if they were unrestricted free agents? $40m at least I'd say. Perhaps even more.

The salary cap increases again this season by $12m to $167m. By the time the Raiders move to Vegas in 2020, Carr's cap hit will be $20m while the cap could realistically reach $200m by then. Paying a franchise QB approx 10-15% of the cap is a steal.
Just skimming over Bucky Brooks article on this, it points to Cousins record as a starter not being all that stellar (19-21-1). I actually agree with you Bo, paying that bit extra for someone like Cousins can be the difference for some teams, including the Redskins.

It's as if there is no middle ground to some. If you pay a market setting figure then the QB has to be the GOAT, or at least one of the best QB's from the previous season. An NFC Scouting Director in that Brooks article said 'I don't think he is a difference maker. ... I would have a tough time paying $25 million for a guy that I don't believe can carry us to the Super Bowl.'

Build the team right and the QB doesn't have to be Montana or Brady, if he's good to very good then he'll give you a shot.
Old 14.07.2017, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Just skimming over Bucky Brooks article on this, it points to Cousins record as a starter not being all that stellar (19-21-1). I actually agree with you Bo, paying that bit extra for someone like Cousins can be the difference for some teams, including the Redskins.

It's as if there is no middle ground to some. If you pay a market setting figure then the QB has to be the GOAT, or at least one of the best QB's from the previous season. An NFC Scouting Director in that Brooks article said 'I don't think he is a difference maker. ... I would have a tough time paying $25 million for a guy that I don't believe can carry us to the Super Bowl.'

Build the team right and the QB doesn't have to be Montana or Brady, if he's good to very good then he'll give you a shot.
I think it bears pointing out too. And granted this my own 2 cents, that Bucky Brooks talks out of his ass. He's like that old fella in Moneyball who thinks he just knows... but yet if you apply retrospective assessment to his remarks it's amazing how bad he is at projection.

Edit: Granted that's not the point but I've had a few bevy's (bevies?) and Bucky Brooks does my nut in.
Old 15.07.2017, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

According to Bleacher Report's Jason Cole, two NFL general managers believe a team will place a "HUGE" roster bonus into an offer sheet for Kirk Cousins in 2018 if the Redskins slap him with the $28.7m transition tag next year. A third consecutive franchise tag would cost $34.5 million.
Old 15.07.2017, 08:35 AM
Hall of Fame

If the Redskins do give him the Transition Tag in 2018 then that would 3 off seasons with no progress on a long term deal. At that point it's safe to say the Redskins would need a new QB in 2018 or 2019 anyway.

Looking at the Redskins cap, 2017 is the 'peak' of Josh Norman and Trent Williams' contracts in terms of cap hits. Josh Reed's cap hit jumps by $5m in 2018 though. Colt McCoy is under contract at $3.6m this year and next. Ryan Kerrigan's deal rises slightly. Terrell Pryor is a one year deal. Morgan Moses' deal starts to rise after this year too.

The point is they MIGHT have space to franchise tag Cousins a THIRD time if they really wanted to. $35m is a huge number but they could make it work.

With Jackson and Garcon replaced by Doctson and Pryor I guess the Redskins will know if Cousins can succeed with different weapons around him.

(don't forget, they upgraded their D in the draft too, that move could help Cousins secure more wins, which in turn could give him more leverage)
Old 15.07.2017, 05:44 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesterHayes View Post
Just wondered what everyone's take on the possibility of Cousins playing out the Franchise tag again?

What is it that Washington see that stops them tying him up to a long term deal or is he asking for too much money?
the moment Cousins signed his nearer $20m tag last year the Redskins where in trouble,the team expected him to be looking for a long term deal but he decided to bet on himself and now they either make him an offer that maybe Rodgers/Ryan should be getting or risk losing him for a 3rd round pick next year or overpay again for the 3rd year.

they should have tried to traded him this off-season and just admitted they messed up.
Old 16.07.2017, 08:52 PM
Hall of Fame

Reports suggest Cousins and his agent want $24m/yr from the Redskins if he's to sign a long term deal, basically what he will earn this year under the tag. The suggestion is his asking price will go up with every deadline i.e. the next 'cheapest option' the Redskins will have to retain Cousins in 2018 will be the $28m/yr Transition Tag, ergo that'll be the new price.

The same reports suggest he's been offered deals ranging from $12m-$20m/yr since negotiations began. I guess it'll all come to a head next off season.
Old 16.07.2017, 10:32 PM
All Pro

I know his record isn't amazing, but in reality think how dreadful a team the Redskins would be WITHOUT him.
Old 16.07.2017, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

It would be typical of the Snyder era Redskins to lowball a quality starting QB over a few million dollars per year after overspending and wasting countless millions on overrated free agents at less important positions.

If Cousins were to leave how many draft picks are the Redskins going to spend trying to find his replacement when those picks should've instead been used to build the roster around him.
Old 16.07.2017, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Reports suggest Cousins and his agent want $24m/yr from the Redskins if he's to sign a long term deal, basically what he will earn this year under the tag. The suggestion is his asking price will go up with every deadline i.e. the next 'cheapest option' the Redskins will have to retain Cousins in 2018 will be the $28m/yr Transition Tag, ergo that'll be the new price.

The same reports suggest he's been offered deals ranging from $12m-$20m/yr since negotiations began. I guess it'll all come to a head next off season.
It beats me why they can't look at Derek Carr's team friendly extension and at least try to offer something very close.

A 5-year deal from 2017-21 worth $125m, with a $15m signing bonus which counts as $3m each year against the cap. Guarantee his basic salary of $15m this season and $22m in 2018. You then add a team option for 2019 which would guarantee his salary that season with a deadline set for the third day of the new league year in March 2019.

Cousins walks away with $30m this season in cash but only counts $18m against the cap. In 2018 the cap hit is $25m (22 + 3).

By the end of 2018 Cousins would earn a guaranteed $52m over two seasons which is just slightly less than if he plays under the franchise tag this year and the transition tag in 2018 (approx $53m).

The Redskins would also have their answer if Cousins is indeed the long term QB they're looking for. If he is then you pick up the team option for his services in 2019. A 5/125m deal with 52m paid out from 2017-18, Cousins would be set to then earn a non guaranteed $73m from 2019-21, an average of $24.33m per year. It would effectively be a contract of three one-year deals.

If they decide to move on and release him then there's only $9m of dead money (three years of $3m from the signing bonus) to be added to the cap that year, which by 2019 will likely be $180-185m.

Summary:
1. Short term Cousins can earn a further guaranteed $52m over two years in addition to the $20m he earned last year. The extra one year guarantee gives him protection against dramatic loss of form and $72m in cash between 2016-18.

2. The Redskins lock him up for 2 more seasons then protect themselves with a 2019 team option. If Cousins isn't the long term answer then cut him, move on and take a small hit in dead money which isn't going to cripple your salary cap.

3. If Dan Snyder reads this and would like to offer me a position as a consultant then please send me a private messsage (if it actually works).

Last edited by boknows34; 16.07.2017 at 11:37 PM.