Kirk Cousins - Page 4 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 17.07.2017, 09:55 AM
Hall of Fame

With a logical approach like that Bo you have no chance of landing a job with the Redskins!
Old 17.07.2017, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
With a logical approach like that Bo you have no chance of landing a job with the Redskins!
Probably a blessing not to have the overbearing Snyder as my boss.
Old 17.07.2017, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

As expected, the deadline has come and gone without Cousins signing a new deal. Washington team president Bruce Allen is coming in for a bit of a kicking on social media, for the statement he gave shortly after the deadline...
Old 18.07.2017, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator

Bruce Allen's statement indicates they did offer Cousins almost the exact same amount of guaranteed money (53m) as my proposal from two days ago (52m). That was basically this year's franchise tag plus next year's transition tag.

But as I also suspected Cousins had all the leverage and was in no rush to sign a long term deal for the reasons I explained earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
Actually I think it's Cousins who is stalling on signing a long term contract and not the Redskins. He knows he's guaranteed to earn another $24m in addition to the $20m from last season, and he also knows the Redskins can't afford to franchise tag him again in 2018 as it would cost them $34.5m, virtually guaranteeing he becomes a free agent next season. In fact I think he's very happy to walk away with $44m over two years and then hit the open market next year when teams could bid against one another for his services.
I think the franchise tag next March is out of the question. $34.5m is astronomical and Cousins would have even less incentive to sign a long term contract than today.

It's far more likely that the Redskins offer the transition tag. I've heard various amounts mentioned but it's roughly $28.5m. However that also allows other teams to negotiate with Cousins and sign him to an offer sheet that the Redskins won't be able to match.

Last edited by boknows34; 18.07.2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 18.07.2017, 07:45 AM
Starter

Unhappy It's a sorry state of affairs

I've been reading everyone's take on this with some interest. From a fans point of view there is an acceptance that Cousins' success is down to being in the right system for his skill set. A majority of fans view him as a system QB. That being said a majority of fans want to re-sign him to a long term deal. There is a split in general opinion, whether Cousins has the ability to get the team to the SB, let alone win one. So far he has not convinced anyone. There is further evidence of his 'system QB' status that when in games that really count, he does not seem to have the ability to put the team on his shoulders. The only real evidence of this leadership quality was the Tampa Bay game two seasons ago that basically salvaged the season and helped propel the team to the NFC East title.

There in lies the quandary that the Redskins find themselves in. The front office are of the opinion that Cousins is a system QB and want to re-sign him to what they deem a fair deal. The Cousins camp are of a very different opinion. Lets look at the general time line:

At the end of the 2015 season Cousins was apparently offered a deal in the region of $16m per season. Then Brock Osweiller signed his extension. That deal coupled with the fact that the Redskins had the option of franchise tagging Cousins led to the stalemate during that off season. Why would the Cousins camp accept anything less than $20m in year one of a deal, knowing that he would be guaranteed the Franchise Tag for that year? Also Osweiller got more money even though he had less experience than Cousins. From the Cousins camp point of view their starting point for negotiations would be $20m guaranteed in year 1, $24m guaranteed in year 2, $28-$34m guaranteed in year 3. Afterall if the Redskins view Cousins as their franchise QB AND they are prepared to use the Franchise Tag, you can therefore see the logic in those numbers.

Then we get to the end of this past 2016 season and according to the recent Bruce Allen statement Cousins was offered $53m guaranteed with $72m guaranteed for injury. This was apparently after the draft (May 2017). This suggests that no further negotiations have taken place. You would question whether or not the Cousins camp are simply stonewalling the Redskins, or if it is an agreed stalemate between the two parties. It would appear the Cousins camp want a QB deal in the region of Andrew Lucks deal at around $87m guaranteed. It's possible that the Cousins camp view him as a better QB than Carr (statistically better, probably. Leadership? Unlikely, experience in terms of starting, yes) and he therefore should be commanding a bigger deal with better guarantees.

Personally, my view is that Cousins is a top 15 QB. No Doubt. He may even be capable of attaining a top 10 QB status. But he is not a top 5 QB and he certainly is nowhere near the top 3 QBs in this league. He is a game manager and needs talent around him to succeed. This is further emphasised in the Bucky Brooks article. For the 6 game stretch that Colt McCoy started for the Redskins in the 2014 season, he posted stats very similar to what Cousins has been able to produce. I actually think what the Redskins front office have offered him in both off seasons is quite fair. I can understand the Cousins camp logic basing their guaranteed money on Franchise Tag figures. Bruce Allen has not helped the Redskins negotiating power by going on the record to state that the Redskins would be prepared to Franchise Tag Cousins next season! You can picture Cousins' agent rubbing his hands at the prospect of negotiating next years deal.

It seems that if Cousins were to sign a long term deal with the Redskins, it's going to be in the astronomical stratosphere in terms of guaranteed money at the time the deal is signed. The Front Office is being bashed at the moment, for not signing Cousins to a deal last year. Strange, because they were being blasted for offering Cousins a $16m deal. A lot of journalists speculated it should be in the $12m range.

I think the best chance the Redskins have of signing Cousins, is to designate the Transition Tag on him. That will help the market set his value. It should be done more as an experiment with the full expectation that Cousins will sign elsewhere. I think Jay Gruden is fully prepared to have Colt McCoy as the starting QB should Cousins decide to leave. McCoy will be at least a stop-gap. Gruden is a big fan of him. Just as he was of Cousins when he decided to start him over RGIII. I can only hope that the offense will be able to perform at a high level.

In a way I am glad to see the Redskins front office finally operate with some restraint. It's interesting to see that they are moving towards shorter term deals and also seem to have a policy of not signing players over 30 to long term deals. They have done a good job of keeping the O-line together and they have looked to address the D as well this offseason. I think the money saved not signing Cousins is better used elsewhere, even if it does keep the uncertainty at the QB position for the foreseeable future.

As for Cousins. Good luck to him. I can understand why he his holding out for the best deal possible. If he signs elsewhere he could be just as successful. San Francisco are the obvious choice, but the LA Rams could also be interested if Goff doesn't work out for them. Cousins will need to go to a team with the right system to be successful. If not he will likely work out like Osweiller has and will see a sharp fall from grace and potentially be out of a job sooner rather than later.
Old 18.07.2017, 08:16 AM
Hall of Fame

Nice to hear a Redskins fans opinion.

What gets me is this........fans and media alike talk about whether or not Cousins can 'carry' the team, or take them to a SB. All or nothing basically when it comes to paying the most important player on your team. You only start/'pay' 1 QB after all.

If you're prepared to offer a guy so much in guaranteed money though (their best offer so far) then I think you've already decided he's THE GUY. If the Redskins truly believe Cousins (and McCoy) is a system QB then it's a no brainer. Extend McCoy for less than half the price and trade Cousins for whatever you can get.

It makes little difference, imo, if Cousins is counting $20m or $30m against the cap, once you go beyond a certain number he's the 'franchise'. Yes, the more cap space the better, it leaves room for manoeuvre, but at the end of the day it's going to be Cousins that makes or breaks things for that team.

If he's more than a system QB then pay the man (as you already should have), show him you believe in him, and go give the next 3 or 4 years your best shot. If it doesn't work out, reevaluate and go again. It's the nature of the league, and the position.

Last edited by RichardCunliffe; 18.07.2017 at 08:21 AM.
Old 18.07.2017, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
In a poll of five NFL personnel executives whose teams played the Redskins last season, all five listed Kirk Cousins as a top-15 NFL quarterback and three placed him near or inside the top 10.
NFL.com

If that's how highly regarded he is within league circles then Cousins is quite right to back himself for another year. Worst case scenario is he earns $44m for two seasons ('16 and 17). Best case scenario is he receives the $34.5m franchise tag, or more likely the $28.5m transition tag and the freedom to negotiate a long term deal with other teams.
Old 18.07.2017, 10:42 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Nice to hear a Redskins fans opinion.

What gets me is this........fans and media alike talk about whether or not Cousins can 'carry' the team, or take them to a SB. All or nothing basically when it comes to paying the most important player on your team. You only start/'pay' 1 QB after all.

If you're prepared to offer a guy so much in guaranteed money though (their best offer so far) then I think you've already decided he's THE GUY. If the Redskins truly believe Cousins (and McCoy) is a system QB then it's a no brainer. Extend McCoy for less than half the price and trade Cousins for whatever you can get.

It makes little difference, imo, if Cousins is counting $20m or $30m against the cap, once you go beyond a certain number he's the 'franchise'. Yes, the more cap space the better, it leaves room for manoeuvre, but at the end of the day it's going to be Cousins that makes or breaks things for that team.

If he's more than a system QB then pay the man (as you already should have), show him you believe in him, and go give the next 3 or 4 years your best shot. If it doesn't work out, reevaluate and go again. It's the nature of the league, and the position.
The biggest fear of signing him to a mega deal is being hamstrung with a good but not great QB for several years and to the detriment of the rest of the team. They don't want to end up in the Tony Romo/Joe Flacco situation that their respective teams found themselves in.

Cousins simply is not worth that sort of money. I know there are teams out there that think he is worth that sort of money. The Redskins need to plan for the future now and be prepared to move on from Cousins.

I would not be surprised however unlikely it might seem to see Cousins traded before training camp. That's possibly why Bruce Allen made the recent statement.
Old 18.07.2017, 12:22 PM
Hall of Fame

It would be interesting to know which QB's from the current crop are seen as capable of winning the SB and/or carrying their team if needs be.

Just to be clear, and I accept it's hard to look at players in a vacuum, I dont mean which QB's AND their current team. I mean if you built a team around a QB, which ones are you willing to pay mega money to, in turn taking that cap space away from the rest of your roster.
Old 18.07.2017, 08:21 PM
Hall of Fame

multiple reports that the Redskins offered "Kurt" Cousins an 5 year extension but only guaranteed $53m which included this years $24m franchise tag salary so pretty much just 2 years then we will see.