Kirk Cousins - Page 6 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 24.07.2017, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
I find the thought of the Rams moving on from Jared Goff, the no.1 pick in the draft, who they gave up a huge haul for just 1 year ago, just as laughable.
There's no way they give up on Goff. He was a legit #1 prospect coming out, and unless he really is terrible in 2017 I think they keep going until at least the 2018. He wasn't that bad either, just not good. He has no talent around him either ,and was aboard a sinking ship last year. If the Rams invest a #1 pick in a player only to give up on him a year later they deserve to be perennial basement dwellers - and will be.

On a side note, the Rams are terrible at developing offensive talent.They have to hope that changes under new leadership.
Old 24.07.2017, 09:58 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statto00 View Post
The only thing that stops Kirk Cousins getting a mental contract next year is if he gets hurt and his replacement comes in and does just as well (like he did with RG3). Even then, in this league at the moment, someone would probably still throw $25M+ at him. Crazy times at the QB position.

I literally laughed out loud at this one. Schef is clearly smoking something. As as already been pointed out, there's no way Stafford ever leaves Detroit, and Brian Hoyer?! BRIAN. FLIPPING. HOYER?! How the hell has he even still got a job, let alone being talked about in this tier of QBs?
Hoyer is not as bad as you make out. No-one is ever claiming he is a top tier quarterback and heck he isn't even mid-range but he is an ugprade over Kap and Gabbert for the 49ers. As a 49ers fan I am not sure I am in for the niners to go for Cousins. It is likely the niners will again have a top 5 pick and if the QB class is better than this years then I would expect they go down that route.
Old 24.07.2017, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuhaide View Post
Hoyer is not as bad as you make out. No-one is ever claiming he is a top tier quarterback and heck he isn't even mid-range but he is an ugprade over Kap and Gabbert for the 49ers. As a 49ers fan I am not sure I am in for the niners to go for Cousins. It is likely the niners will again have a top 5 pick and if the QB class is better than this years then I would expect they go down that route.
Hoyer was outstanding last season. Anyone who watched him play will tell you he was extremely good. By any measure.

Barkely wasn't bad either. Four excellent games and two really, really bad ones.

EDIT:

The problem for both is sample size. One thing that always Grinds My Gears is how everyone has anointed Garroppolo. It's worth noting, that Garoppolo has fewer career snaps, than Brian Hoyer had snaps last year.

Anyone who cares can put on the tape, and I challenge you to objectively conclude that Brian Hoyer was not miles better than anything Garoppolo has shown. Yet, if the 49ers had traded for Garoppolo, nobody would be complaining. It makes zero sense.

The big reason Hoyer has a poor reputation is that truly abject playoff performance for the Texans. And it was awful. But if we are going to anoint a guy who has barely played, it's easy to say that we should give Hoyer a break, given he played very well in 2016. And was solid for the Browns in 2014.

I think the 49ers will struggle. But I think Hoyer, in a vacuum is a decent stop-gap QB.

The reason I think the 49ers will struggle is a combination of factors. Some lack of talent in certain areas, lack of depth in others, tough divisional games - but most of all its change - everywhere. Kyle Shanahan's offence often takes time to be in. History shows it can be slow in Y1. So with all the changes I suspect this year will be a building one. But I think they're ok for this year at QB.

Last edited by olig23; 24.07.2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 24.07.2017, 07:26 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by olig23 View Post
Hoyer was outstanding last season. Anyone who watched him play will tell you he was extremely good. By any measure.

Barkely wasn't bad either. Four excellent games and two really, really bad ones.

EDIT:

The problem for both is sample size. One thing that always Grinds My Gears is how everyone has anointed Garroppolo. It's worth noting, that Garoppolo has fewer career snaps, than Brian Hoyer had snaps last year.

Anyone who cares can put on the tape, and I challenge you to objectively conclude that Brian Hoyer was not miles better than anything Garoppolo has shown. Yet, if the 49ers had traded for Garoppolo, nobody would be complaining. It makes zero sense.

The big reason Hoyer has a poor reputation is that truly abject playoff performance for the Texans. And it was awful. But if we are going to anoint a guy who has barely played, it's easy to say that we should give Hoyer a break, given he played very well in 2016. And was solid for the Browns in 2014.

I think the 49ers will struggle. But I think Hoyer, in a vacuum is a decent stop-gap QB.

The reason I think the 49ers will struggle is a combination of factors. Some lack of talent in certain areas, lack of depth in others, tough divisional games - but most of all its change - everywhere. Kyle Shanahan's offence often takes time to be in. History shows it can be slow in Y1. So with all the changes I suspect this year will be a building one. But I think they're ok for this year at QB.
think most people who talk down Hoyer probably only remember that play-off game in 2015 but forget how well he played in the regular season for the Texans even though the coaches kept messing him around trying to give Mallett starts he didn't deserve.

Jimmy G as you correctly pointed out doesn't have a lot of game film but as a Pats fan we saw him play about 3 Quarters in 2014(Chiefs in mop up and 2nd half in wk 17 vs the Bills when he looked like a rookie at times) and if you watched the 6 quarters in 2016 he was almost perfect pre-snap with his reads and put up some great numbers till his injury.

does that make him a Matt Schaub back-up in Atlanta who got traded to the Texans and was a more than average QB for many years or could he be a Matt Flynn who just got games on a great team but then got found out after free agency.
Old 24.07.2017, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Teams will always roll the dice on youth and potential. Jimmy G offers that. You don't know what his ceiling is unlike a Hoyer or Fitzpatrick.
Old 25.07.2017, 07:31 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
Teams will always roll the dice on youth and potential. Jimmy G offers that. You don't know what his ceiling is unlike a Hoyer or Fitzpatrick.
It's kinda one of my bugbears with NFL coaches in general. They're so worried about losing their jobs that they would rather play a QB with a high floor and low ceiling, than roll the dice on a guy who might have a high ceiling because there's a risk he might have a low floor. Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, heck even Dak Prescott (though the jury is still out on his long-term legacy, obviously), only got their chance because the HC basically didn't have any other choice in the moment. How many other late-rounders are there out there that could do a much better job than all these journeyman QBs that keep getting starts? We'll never know because HC's will always play it safe. Despite how it ended up, that's one of the reasons I was so proud of our team last year for giving Trevor the reins, and he did pretty damn well with it.
Old 25.07.2017, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
I agree, and FWIW I am not saying Garoppolo is going to be a bad QB. I am simply saying there's very little evidence one way or another.

What I question is the way the two are discussed. Which is to say, on very optimistically and the other pessimistically. When in truth, the correct approach is objectively. And in that case Hoyer makes a lot of sense... because he's free.

When we discuss Garoppolo, we're talking about handing over a pick. Which is mad because of the reasons outlined above. Whereas, Hoyer costs you only his contract. Sure, there is that chance JG ends up being very good. But in reality the odds of that being the case are far smaller than we perceive them to be - history says that a small number of these guys live up to the hype, not to mention the selling team are the only one who have really got a good idea of what they have.

Anyhow, I think the Hoyer signing is being somewhat overlooked because people love the concept of "potential". He'll tide them over for now. If I were a fan, my only worry would be that they're good enough to not pick too high in the draft, and right now there's at least three interesting guys coming out next year. So if I'm them, I don't want to be too good!