Who has been to a game in America? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 13.08.2017, 02:07 PM
Rookie

Default Who has been to a game in America?

Anybody been to a live game in America?

I watched the Jets play in Dec 2015 and will be watching the Chicago Bears' first game on Sep 10th.

What differences do you notice between the London games and the American ones?
Old 13.08.2017, 02:15 PM
All Pro

I'm interested in this one. For me the answer is no. But I'm going to my first US game in October, I'm going to watch the Patriots blowout of the Jets when I'm in New York.

As a Bills I'll spend the time resisting the urge to vomit, and will simply cheer for the team the people around me do.

That said, I'm really looking forward to because as much as I hate them in terms of rivalry I respect for the Jets for being a proper team with a proper fan base
Old 13.08.2017, 05:20 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead20152015 View Post
Anybody been to a live game in America?

I watched the Jets play in Dec 2015 and will be watching the Chicago Bears' first game on Sep 10th.

What differences do you notice between the London games and the American ones?
I'll be at Soldier Field for opening day also.

Probably the amount of fans that either can't handle their drink, or have had too much, the excitement of a first down, and usually how late stadiums fill up.
Old 14.08.2017, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

I've been to a few games over there.

I've been to Soldier Field a few times.

I went to see Bears-Packers @Lambeau in 2011, that was fantastic.

Went to Lions@Cowboys in Dallas last December.

Also been to see Wisconsin a few times at Camp Randall.

My general thoughts is that there really isn't that much of a difference between the US games and UK ones - inside the stadium. The only thing is that the UK fans do stupid things like Mexican Waves which makes them seem bored. But otherwise it's largely the same.

Outside the stadium the US games are far better. But if you're there without knowing people you can just end up wandering about a car park. My advice is be chatty. People often are interested in your being from the UK. Unless it's NY, and I would then say don't bother

Lambeau was a different experience. Even as a Bears fan I have to admit the Packer fans were far more engaged, far more fun and the whole thin was just more passionate.

Dallas was dull and corporate. Impressive stadium. But the atmosphere was crap.

If you ever get the chance though, go and see a college game. Whenever I've been to Wisconsin I have found the atmosphere is soooooo much better than anything in the NFL. Also, the entire town/city is like a party (at least in Madison) on gameday and that can be a LOT of fun.
Old 14.08.2017, 10:47 AM
Pro Bowler

I've been a few games over in the States. In general the crowd/atmosphere is a whole lot better / noisier. Especially college games.

To date

Saw Falcons@49ers in 2004 - opening day game at Candlestick back in the day when Vick was at his peak.

Attended the Ravens@49ers superbowl at the Superdome.

And also saw Cowboys@Bucs and Bus@Eagles in 2015.

The fan experience was good at Lincoln Financial field. Plenty of fun stuff in the stadium, posing for photo's, dunkins were handing out free hot chocolates, and interactive games all around. Bloody cold though, you are exposed to the cold and the wind high up, you don't get cold at all in Wembley.

My favourate experience was watching the Florida Gators play the Florida Atlantic, 80,000 plus fans and the noise is deafening, the atmosphere is intense. The college games are punctuated by more breaks but can't deny the experience.
Old 14.08.2017, 11:07 AM
All Pro

I've seen the Raiders 3 times, once as the away team at the Jets. I've also been to a Miami game because I was in Florida and 2 college games, Florida and Florida State most recently and a few others.

Personally there was a world of difference because 90% of the people there are fans of one team or the other. I haven't been to a London game for many years but the crowd at the one I did go to was there for the experience more than the actual game. Going to a Raiders game in Oakland was very different. The 2 college games were also a different experience because the crowd was almost entirely home supporters and rabid ones at that!

Last edited by LesterHayes; 14.08.2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 14.08.2017, 11:34 AM
All Pro

The college atmosphere applies in Europe. The college game I went to in Dublin last year between Georgia Tech and Boston College was a vastly better atmosphere than the NFL gets at Wembley even with a crowd half the size
Old 16.08.2017, 02:27 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
I'm interested in this one. For me the answer is no. But I'm going to my first US game in October, I'm going to watch the Patriots blowout of the Jets when I'm in New York.

As a Bills I'll spend the time resisting the urge to vomit, and will simply cheer for the team the people around me do.

That said, I'm really looking forward to because as much as I hate them in terms of rivalry I respect for the Jets for being a proper team with a proper fan base
I'll also be at this game in October and is my first taste of seeing an NFL game in America!

Just out of interest, where did you purchase your tickets from for this game?
Old 16.08.2017, 04:40 PM
Rookie

Been to 5 or so London games and went to the Eagles vs Giants game at Meadowlands last year.

Key differences:
  • People know when to cheer
  • Only stuff about the home team on show. I thought there might be some eagles memorabilia but nope.
  • As a foreigner I had to show my passport (UK driving license not allowed) and fill in a form at every one of the stadium bars - only had to do it once at each bar but was a pain
  • Stadiums were on a par but Meadowlands felt more vertical - bit closer to the action.
  • The stuff that isn't football is hilarious and over the top. There was a flyover by the navy and a giant US flag on the stage.
Old 17.08.2017, 12:01 PM
MVP

Jets @ Chargers in 2008

Dolphins @ Chargers in 2009

Ravens @ Chargers in 2009

Chargers @ Bears in 2011

Raiders @ Chargers in 2015

Won the first 2, lost the rest. Took an absolute hammering against the Raiders

Be a long time before I can afford to go back out again and of course it'll be in LA if I ever do

Also seen a college game in the USA too. Minnesota Golden Gofers @ Northwesten Wildcats

Been to about 4 Wembley games, whilst enjoyable it doesn't compare for many reasons. Games in the USA will always be better

Last edited by UrbanLegend; 17.08.2017 at 12:07 PM.