NBA Thread - Page 129 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 17.02.2009, 11:46 PM
Pro

lol @ lebron in it next year. Obviously somebody had a word in his ear and told him that Jordan and Kobe both won the competition so he may feel it's something to add to his cabinet. I do think he could win but it's generally something you do in the first year or 2 of your career
Old 19.02.2009, 03:44 PM
MVP

Id love the dunk competetion to have 1 year when its full of big name stars who have proven they can dunk...my dream lineup would be something like

Kobe,LeBron,Dwight Howard, Vince Carter
Old 20.02.2009, 10:58 PM
All Pro

I thought it was one of the most dissapointing dunk competitions the kryptonite was ok but last years was well better.

How often do nba teams change there jersey designs ? , Cause the Hornets jersey looks awesome and i dont want it to change for next year,

Last edited by dino26; 21.02.2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 21.02.2009, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Last night I watched some highlights of the celebrity game from All-Star weekend... Terrell Owens has got some skills!
Old 23.02.2009, 08:38 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_91 View Post
Id love the dunk competetion to have 1 year when its full of big name stars who have proven they can dunk...my dream lineup would be something like

Kobe,LeBron,Dwight Howard, Vince Carter
Vince Carter? This isn't 2000. The guy barely gets any lift nowadays.
Old 23.02.2009, 11:21 AM
Team Captain

Hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread . And this isn't a wind up but a genuine plea for understanding .

I can't get into basketball , I just can't see the attraction . But as someone who enjoys American football , baseball and ice hockey , I'm sure there must be something in basketball for me .

So what am I missing ?

When I watch it , and I know that these are generalisations but bear with me , there doesn't seem to be much tactical play , it appears a very basic game . The plays seem fairly repetitive , with teams alternately going up court to try and score .
There's the occasional pick n roll , crossover etc but generally it seems to be one of three types of attack . Fast break if the defence is caught out ; if not either pass it around a bit to try to get it to a man under the basket ; or else pass it around a bit until someone tries a long range shot .
Given that most of these guys are over 6'6" , some over 7' ; then scoring a basket doesn't seem that difficult , and the fact that most teams score about 40 or 50 baskets a match would indicate the ease of scoring . Usually when my team score a goal , score a touchdown , hit a homer etc , the rarity of the event adds to my excitement and enjoyment . The sheer volume of scoring seems to prevent this explosion of joy in basketball , it appears to be merely an accumulation of baskets . A bit like cricket , I get excited when Andrew Flintoff takes a wicket , but his scoring a single and moving from 37 to 38 not out barely registers with me .

Given the sports popularity , I must be missing something , and would hate to miss out on the chance to enjoy watching an enjoyable sport , so please tell me. What should I be looking out for , what are the nuances I'm missing , is it a great tactical batle between coaches , are they really great athletes , or merely freaks .
Old 23.02.2009, 05:33 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebow 15 View Post
Hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread . And this isn't a wind up but a genuine plea for understanding .

I can't get into basketball , I just can't see the attraction . But as someone who enjoys American football , baseball and ice hockey , I'm sure there must be something in basketball for me .

So what am I missing ?

When I watch it , and I know that these are generalisations but bear with me , there doesn't seem to be much tactical play , it appears a very basic game . The plays seem fairly repetitive , with teams alternately going up court to try and score .
There's the occasional pick n roll , crossover etc but generally it seems to be one of three types of attack . Fast break if the defence is caught out ; if not either pass it around a bit to try to get it to a man under the basket ; or else pass it around a bit until someone tries a long range shot .
Given that most of these guys are over 6'6" , some over 7' ; then scoring a basket doesn't seem that difficult , and the fact that most teams score about 40 or 50 baskets a match would indicate the ease of scoring . Usually when my team score a goal , score a touchdown , hit a homer etc , the rarity of the event adds to my excitement and enjoyment . The sheer volume of scoring seems to prevent this explosion of joy in basketball , it appears to be merely an accumulation of baskets . A bit like cricket , I get excited when Andrew Flintoff takes a wicket , but his scoring a single and moving from 37 to 38 not out barely registers with me .

Given the sports popularity , I must be missing something , and would hate to miss out on the chance to enjoy watching an enjoyable sport , so please tell me. What should I be looking out for , what are the nuances I'm missing , is it a great tactical batle between coaches , are they really great athletes , or merely freaks .
I was the same but if you look closer there are tactics involved its just cause you dont see them unfold as clearly as you do in football.
Old 23.02.2009, 07:57 PM
All Pro

If you like baseball, I'm sure you can get into Basketball!!!
Old 23.02.2009, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino26 View Post
I was the same but if you look closer there are tactics involved its just cause you dont see them unfold as clearly as you do in football.
Yeah exactly. They have many predesigned plays just like in the NFL, trying create an open shot - either inside or outside. ...It's not just random passing the ball around trying to find an opening... although you can see why it might look that way to the untrained eye!

It would be pretty tough to score without predesigned plays (except on the fast break of course!).

Last edited by Cornishman32; 23.02.2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 23.02.2009, 08:21 PM
All Pro

It can be very tactical but a lot of the time it's just "give the ball to your best player" (LBJ, Kobe, Wade, etc)