Da Bears - Monsters of the Midway Thread - Page 379 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 24.01.2011, 03:35 PM
Starter

I'm hopeful we pick up some O line men from somewhere...
Old 24.01.2011, 09:20 PM
Rookie

Agree with a lot of the comments here, as great as the ride was, we overachieved, and because of that, we're gonna miss some key picks in this years draft that we desperately need.

We need a whole new OL, and a future no.1 WR, those are two key positions Angelo HAS to fill.

Don't disappoint too much though... don't forget, Brady was drafted #199...!
Old 24.01.2011, 11:09 PM
Pro

Default Over-achievement

I was very pessimestic coming into the season thought GBP would be bbest team in our division and that we would have to slug it out with Minnesota for a possible wildcard.

As it was we won the Division, but green Bay entered the playoffs on a high and outplayed us on Sunday.

We certainly do have some real needs in the draft, O Line, Big WR, secondary help etc. With this in mind it looks like we are tied into Cutler, who is an okay QB, not elite but another 15 teams would snap him up.

We need to protect him and fire up our running game.

like a number of earlier posters hats off to #54 what a performance, he almost inspired us to an unlikely victory. Without doubt he's one of the all time greats.

Our D is getting old, we need a great draft this year, here's hoping...
Old 25.01.2011, 02:58 AM
All Pro

Where do you guys rank Jay Cutler currently? In terms of league QBs?
Old 25.01.2011, 09:11 AM
Pro Bowler

Couldn't give him an exact number, but my view is he has too many issues to be elite, and too much talent to be considered bad.

Looks like Hanie will be getting the #2 spot (If he stays)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...rs-set-for-mri
Old 25.01.2011, 11:37 AM
All Pro

The D got pushed around early on which led to a score quickly or the game will be over mentality.

In chase mode the O-line showed the short-comings we all know are there, which led to Tod Collins entering the game...who was so awful he couldn't even complete an interception!

Hanie showed the qualities that every fan (from what I have read) thought he had (I won't dwell on Collins being no.2 because I will get all mad and sh*t).

Did anyone notice the great irony of the Bears finish their season with a 3rd string QB on the field?

Anyway...

We overachieved and had plenty of luck to boot; at this point I don't see why we can't build that into something more concrete if there is play come September.

Personally I am never of the opinion that a winning season can be a bad thing vs a higher draft pick; the draft is a lottery, if you get it wrong (very few highly rated players ever become what the "experts" predict they will be) it can damage the team for years.

On Cutler:

I think he is the player he was when we traded for him. He does a lot of good things and then has you pulling your hair out at a bum decision.

Someone needs to whip his behind in training until he learns to throw from his front foot; half the balls he misses with, are correctable.

P. Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees are "the guy"; everyone around then is enhanced by their quality.

Cutler to me is "a guy"; he needs quality around him to elevate his natural ability: if he gets that help though, watch out!
Old 25.01.2011, 01:17 PM
All Pro

I think we shouldn't write the season off as a bad thing because we won't be getting a higher draft pick.

The season had many high points and the Defensive play was generally superb. Peppers was awesome, Idonje proved he is a valid DE and #54 and Briggs were back to being the best true linebacking combo in the NFL.

Special Teams was as good as we have come to expect and Hester returned to his ridiculous self. Shout to Corey Graham on ST, who should have made the Pro Bowl.

The Offense progressed and the O-Line improved from early season form. Martz proved he can adapt (Shocking call on 3rd and 3 at end of Championship Game though, I was screaming WTF when I saw Bennett reversing around). WR improved and Forte has shown he can carry the Offense and is the main man. Cutler continues to frustrate, he has immense talent and can make all the throws but still throws from his back foot and puts balls up that he should throw away.

Off-Season Improvements.
Stating the obvious but O-Line needs a genuine LT and although I love Olin Kreutz, a Center is required to at least play behind Kreutz for a season.
A think a Defensive Tackle is also a must to take the pressure off Peppers and free him up a little.
A Corner is needed, Tillman might play a couple more years but he needs someone opposite him who can cover too. Although Jennings plays tough I just think his lack of size limits his ability.
A know people are talking about WR in the first three picks but personally I would rather see the Bears draft:- 1st - O-Line, 2nd - DT and 3rd CB. Later picks should be spent on WR, and Safety.

I have struggled to even look at any NFL websites since Sunday. The Championship game was such a kick in the teeth.
Old 25.01.2011, 01:38 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStu View Post
I think we shouldn't write the season off as a bad thing because we won't be getting a higher draft pick.

The season had many high points and the Defensive play was generally superb. Peppers was awesome, Idonje proved he is a valid DE and #54 and Briggs were back to being the best true linebacking combo in the NFL.

Special Teams was as good as we have come to expect and Hester returned to his ridiculous self. Shout to Corey Graham on ST, who should have made the Pro Bowl.

The Offense progressed and the O-Line improved from early season form. Martz proved he can adapt (Shocking call on 3rd and 3 at end of Championship Game though, I was screaming WTF when I saw Bennett reversing around). WR improved and Forte has shown he can carry the Offense and is the main man. Cutler continues to frustrate, he has immense talent and can make all the throws but still throws from his back foot and puts balls up that he should throw away.

Off-Season Improvements.
Stating the obvious but O-Line needs a genuine LT and although I love Olin Kreutz, a Center is required to at least play behind Kreutz for a season.
A think a Defensive Tackle is also a must to take the pressure off Peppers and free him up a little.
A Corner is needed, Tillman might play a couple more years but he needs someone opposite him who can cover too. Although Jennings plays tough I just think his lack of size limits his ability.
A know people are talking about WR in the first three picks but personally I would rather see the Bears draft:- 1st - O-Line, 2nd - DT and 3rd CB. Later picks should be spent on WR, and Safety.

I have struggled to even look at any NFL websites since Sunday. The Championship game was such a kick in the teeth.
Interesting to see the list of UFA WR's at the moment - Vincent Jackson and Sidney Rice could both be available (though I suspect the Vikings will tie down the latter). Chad Ochocinco anyone?!

Also agree with the other side of the coin in terms of draft picks - we all know that high picks don't always turn out they way a team would like. Angelo's history of picking though has been less than stellar and I'm worried he'll end up drafting another 5th/6th round QB a la Dan LeFevour again...
Old 25.01.2011, 09:39 PM
Rookie

Dan LeFevour can't be worse than... The Todd.
Old 26.01.2011, 08:33 PM
Team Captain

What I cannot understand is Collins was only brought in as Hanie got his pre-season injury at which point Hanie was # 2. Hanie should have reverted to # 2 on his return and definitely following the Carolina perfromance ( thank God they played worse than Chicago that day).

On the draft I think 1. OL 2. DT 3. CB. There may be uncertainty regarding the CBA but it's a veteran WR we need and preferably a big target who will fight for the ball. This would counter the speedy but light guys we have like Knox.