Da Bears - Monsters of the Midway Thread - Page 391 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

  #3901  
Old 28.11.2011, 09:31 PM
BigStu's Avatar
BigStu BigStu is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 08.09.2006
Posts: 1,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatme View Post
So the guy who has taken us to a Superbowl and NFC championship should be fired? He has assembled a very good coaching staff, yes Martz can be infuriating but he is so much better than Ron Turner and has had the team playing good football week in week out since he got here. The Bears have been one of the better teams in the league since he got here.

I don't get the hate for Lovie at all. What is Lovie meant to do, tell Martz to create a completely different playbook in the space of two weeks? It doesn't work like that. When you hire a guy to be a co-ordinator you need to trust them to do, I'm sure Lovie will give his opinion to Martz but at the end of the day it's up to Martz.

Hanie had a terrible start to the game but he improved as the game went on. With another week and some more tape, tweaks will be made and the offence will be better managed. The Chiefs game is going to be horrible to watch and will probably finish 9-6 but I see the Bears coming away with a win and moving one step closer to the playoffs.
I've been critical of Lovie in the past but this team has looked very good this season and prior to Cutler's injury I really felt we would give the Packers a really good test and push them close. I think it's harsh to be calling out Lovie because of an injury to the best QB we have had for at least 20 years.

The Bears will find a way to win and will make the Playoffs and hopefully Jay returns prior to that.
Reply With Quote
  #3902  
Old 28.11.2011, 09:39 PM
Spadesaregood's Avatar
Spadesaregood Spadesaregood is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 13.09.2008
Posts: 4,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStu View Post
I've been critical of Lovie in the past but this team has looked very good this season and prior to Cutler's injury I really felt we would give the Packers a really good test and push them close. I think it's harsh to be calling out Lovie because of an injury to the best QB we have had for at least 20 years.

The Bears will find a way to win and will make the Playoffs and hopefully Jay returns prior to that.
I'm not calling him out because of the injury at all. I've been calling him out for a long time now. He shows no emotion whatsoever, he just stands on the sidelines looking like he hasn't a clue what day of the week it is.

The fact he got to a Super Bowl doesn't make him invincible, it's not as if he won it or anything.
Reply With Quote
  #3903  
Old 28.11.2011, 10:20 PM
BigStu's Avatar
BigStu BigStu is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 08.09.2006
Posts: 1,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spadesaregood View Post
I'm not calling him out because of the injury at all. I've been calling him out for a long time now. He shows no emotion whatsoever, he just stands on the sidelines looking like he hasn't a clue what day of the week it is.

The fact he got to a Super Bowl doesn't make him invincible, it's not as if he won it or anything.
I'm not saying he is invincible but the Bears had been bad for a fair few years prior to Lovie becoming coach. We have had lean years during his tenure but generally have been competitive in the Division. Would you rather have a Jim Schwarz character as Head Coach ?
Reply With Quote
  #3904  
Old 28.11.2011, 10:28 PM
Spadesaregood's Avatar
Spadesaregood Spadesaregood is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 13.09.2008
Posts: 4,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStu View Post
I'm not saying he is invincible but the Bears had been bad for a fair few years prior to Lovie becoming coach. We have had lean years during his tenure but generally have been competitive in the Division. Would you rather have a Jim Schwarz character as Head Coach ?
All I'm asking is he shows some emotion and stands up to Martz, though he may well do that in private for all I know. A Sean Payton or Mike Tomlin type coach would be ideal.
Reply With Quote
  #3905  
Old 29.11.2011, 08:25 AM
BigStu's Avatar
BigStu BigStu is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 08.09.2006
Posts: 1,081
Default

Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference for what you want from a coach. I don't think you can really criticise Lovie the past two years as the Bears have looked a good team. I agree with you on Martz, I wish Lovie would call him out when he continues to present stupid plays. However, that isn't Lovie's way, he prefers to keep everything in-house and the players and coaches seem to respect him massively for this.
Reply With Quote
  #3906  
Old 29.11.2011, 10:51 AM
payton3434's Avatar
payton3434 payton3434 is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 06.11.2005
Posts: 1,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStu View Post
props have to be given to Shane Lechler. that is the best punting performance I have ever seen. Took Hester out of the game without punting away from him. Fortunately, most punters haven't got the qualities Lechler has.
Obviously the turnovers were key in the loss but field position gave the Raiders the chance to constantly keep scoring. That 80yrd punt was something else.
Reply With Quote
  #3907  
Old 29.11.2011, 11:10 AM
payton3434's Avatar
payton3434 payton3434 is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 06.11.2005
Posts: 1,495
Default

On coaching:

Smith is a poor gameday manager i.e. timeouts, challenges. He also made some very poor personnel desicions i.e. hiring himself and babich. Having said that I like his calm demeanour on the sideline, I like the fact Bears players buy into the concept of keeping quiet about team matters and most importantly I believe he gets a lot out of fairly mediocre talent year in year out. Across the board the Bears players collectively have one of the best attitudes in the game; this has been the catalyst for many wins in my opinion. At the moment I say that he is a good and positive constant in the organisation.

I don't think Marinelli is any type of Guru but I do think, like Smith the Players believe in him. I also like the subtle changes he has made to the D and his ability to adjust very quickly on game day.

Martz...hmm... tough one... as bad as he is good? The problem with the Martz system is that is requires a very precise level of play, if the players can't reach that level the O becomes very disfunctional.

Angelo is the problem with the Bears. He is unable to pick stars at the top of rough diamonds at the bottom, what he does is pick lots of reasonable contributors; that will get you to some playoff games but not the land of Champions or the dizzy heights of a Dynasty.
Reply With Quote
  #3908  
Old 29.11.2011, 11:23 AM
BigStu's Avatar
BigStu BigStu is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 08.09.2006
Posts: 1,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by payton3434 View Post
Angelo is the problem with the Bears. He is unable to pick stars at the top of rough diamonds at the bottom, what he does is pick lots of reasonable contributors; that will get you to some playoff games but not the land of Champions or the dizzy heights of a Dynasty.
Totally agree on your point about Angelo. Just look at the 3 free agents we picked up in 2010 off-season. Peppers = Outstanding but Manu (whatever his name was) and Taylor were seriously poor. He does seem to pick up decent players without much fanfare though. Roach, Toeaina, Adams, Okoye and Jennings have all been good additions to the Defense.

Drafts in recent years haven't been the best either but I do feel he will get good marks eventually for Carimi, Paea and Conte. Carimi and Conte pending injury will definitely be starters next year and Paea will be a big part of the D-Line rotation. Obviously, Matt Forte was a great pick, just hope he gets a new contract and stays with the Bears long term.
Reply With Quote
  #3909  
Old 29.11.2011, 11:33 AM
payton3434's Avatar
payton3434 payton3434 is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 06.11.2005
Posts: 1,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStu View Post
Totally agree on your point about Angelo. Just look at the 3 free agents we picked up in 2010 off-season. Peppers = Outstanding but Manu (whatever his name was) and Taylor were seriously poor. He does seem to pick up decent players without much fanfare though. Roach, Toeaina, Adams, Okoye and Jennings have all been good additions to the Defense.

Drafts in recent years haven't been the best either but I do feel he will get good marks eventually for Carimi, Paea and Conte. Carimi and Conte pending injury will definitely be starters next year and Paea will be a big part of the D-Line rotation. Obviously, Matt Forte was a great pick, just hope he gets a new contract and stays with the Bears long term.
Yeah, all of those players are the sort of decent players I am thinking of, but have to have more game changers to trample your way to the big show.

Forte is definitely Angelo's best decision... OHHH the irony that he won't pay the man!
Reply With Quote
  #3910  
Old 29.11.2011, 01:35 PM
BigStu's Avatar
BigStu BigStu is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 08.09.2006
Posts: 1,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by payton3434 View Post
yeah, all of those players are the sort of decent players i am thinking of, but have to have more game changers to trample your way to the big show.

Forte is definitely angelo's best decision... Ohhh the irony that he won't pay the man!
payforte, payforte, payforte
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 11:42 AM.