Premier League Thread - Page 1013 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 14.07.2011, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

£20m for Downing, £20m for Jordan Henderson, £8m for Charlie Adam. That's a lot to pay for three players who don't appear imo to be a huge upgrade over what Liverpool already have.... Little wonder so many teams look abroad for new signings when British players tend to be so ridiculously overpriced.
Old 14.07.2011, 03:57 PM
GOAT

Less than £7M was the price reported for Adam, who is an upgrade on **** like Christian Poulsen. No problem with that fee or deal.
Old 14.07.2011, 04:15 PM
MVP

£20million for either Henderson or Downing is much worse than the £35million paid for Carroll IMO. I know there was a lot made of it at the time but Carroll really has all the attributes to become a top class players, especially in the PL.

Downing is a good player, but the fee is ridiculous. N'Zogbia would be an upgrade, if Villa get him for cheaper then it's a master stroke from them.
Old 14.07.2011, 07:37 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_91 View Post
Bayern have a deal agreed for Jerome Boateng, seems they are finally addressing their back 5, with him and Neur.

They also shouldn't be ruled out of the race for Arturo Vidal - ready made to take over from Van Bommel at DM
Good player, but they already bought the replacement for Van Bommel in Luis Gustavo who cost them nearly £13 million a few months ago.

My guess is its just lazy journo's linking him with Bayern cos his old coach Jupp has taken over.

And its even more surprising since Voller has said he wont sell him to another German club.

Plus I cant imagine they would move Gustavo on so soon, he was actually very good for them.

Last edited by vann_mcelroy; 14.07.2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 14.07.2011, 07:46 PM
Hall of Fame

Radamal Falcao signs a 4 year extension to his Porto contract.

Release clause is now 45million Euro's.

Not sure Chelsea were ever in for him in the first place. Him or Hulk, I do think they really want Lukaku and Ante Vuskuvic though.
Old 14.07.2011, 08:39 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsio View Post
Which in the end benefitted them. Newcastle didn't settle for less than what they believed was market value for those players (because Ashley wanted every penny returned on his failed investment) and combined with salary demands they remained.

WH have already begun what is an East End market type firesale and would it seem have no intention to keep their better players.
Not sure I agree with this, so far all we have done is offload fringe riff raff like Kovac and allowed overpaid and underperforming players like Upson and Dyer leave on frees as they are out of contract.

I fancy we keep Green and to be frank my opinion of Cole is pretty low, so if Stoke want to give us £4m plus add ons, I'm all for it.
Old 14.07.2011, 10:17 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul31 View Post
Not sure I agree with this, so far all we have done is offload fringe riff raff like Kovac and allowed overpaid and underperforming players like Upson and Dyer leave on frees as they are out of contract.

. I fancy we keep Green and to be frank my opinion of Cole is pretty low, so if Stoke want to give us £4m plus add ons, I'm all for it.
Ba has gone and Parker's next. Upson is clearly being touted to all the relegation fodder in next seasons PL, WBA are from more than one source linked with Green and Hitzelsberger is likely to activate the caluse in his contract which would see him leave, likely to Villa.

Paper talk perhaps, but given WH's woes I'd be very surprised to see any remaining come the end of August

What remains without substantial investment won't see you promoted
Old 14.07.2011, 10:25 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsio View Post
Ba has gone and Parker's next. Upson is clearly being touted to all the relegation fodder in next seasons PL, WBA are from more than one source linked with Green and Hitzelsberger is likely to activate the caluse in his contract which would see him leave, likely to Villa.

Paper talk perhaps, but given WH's woes I'd be very surprised to see any remaining come the end of August

What remains without substantial investment won't see you promoted
Well we have already added decent (in championship terms), if not very good players in Nolan, Faye and (almost sealed) Gudjohnsen. Add in the younger players like Collison, Tomkins, Sears and a couple of experienced players in Noble and Piquionne - that's a reasonably good nucleus at Championship level.
Old 14.07.2011, 10:47 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul31 View Post
Well we have already added decent (in championship terms), if not very good players in Nolan, Faye and (almost sealed) Gudjohnsen. Add in the younger players like Collison, Tomkins, Sears and a couple of experienced players in Noble and Piquionne - that's a reasonably good nucleus at Championship level.
Nolan is a very good signing, Championship POTY when with Newcastle, but Gudjohnsen hasn't had a worthwhile season since leaving for Barca and bounced from clubto club since without doing much. Perhaps a good year is due, but he looks to be someone playing out his career.
Old 14.07.2011, 11:32 PM
Hall of Fame

Cole has rejected Stoke by the way, so he remains a Hammer - for now.