Premier League Thread - Page 2113 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 10.04.2014, 07:10 PM
All Pro

Having the winner of the FA cup going into the Champions League would make more sense.
Old 10.04.2014, 07:11 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobjoylove View Post
It would be better if the FA Cup win was a straight entry into the CL, as I really don't like the notion of the Community Shield deciding a 2014 CL place in August before the season's kicked off.

There's no chance either scenario will happen though, the big clubs (and therefore the Premier League too) wouldn't allow it.
I agree with this. At the end of the day the cup winners could claim just as much rights as the 4th best team to play in the CHAMPIONS league.

I think having the shield winners is leaving it a bit late for squad prep like a previous poster said.

Shouldn't be for an auto spot though, they should have to go through the qualifying process.
Old 11.04.2014, 10:19 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartmoor Falcon View Post
Having the winner of the FA cup going into the Champions League would make more sense.
Not really because it:

A- Makes the FA Cup a lot more meaningful

B- Makes the Community Shield actually interesting
Old 11.04.2014, 11:38 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantMackem View Post
B- Makes the Community Shield actually interesting
Does it need to be interesting? I find it dull as dishwater, is the equivalent of the Pro Bowl game, a meaningless game, and going down a route of MLB in attaching some competitive result to it would be farcical.
Old 11.04.2014, 01:51 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Does it need to be interesting? I find it dull as dishwater, is the equivalent of the Pro Bowl game, a meaningless game, and going down a route of MLB in attaching some competitive result to it would be farcical.
Does it need to be? No?

It isn't the equivalent of a Pro Bowl game, that would be the SuperBowl winners vs the Regular Season best record

At present nobody watches it, create a cup game which has meaning to the season (Europa League or Champions League) would make it hugely exciting
Old 11.04.2014, 01:56 PM
All Pro

I'm talking about the current format of the Comm Shield; it currently has no bearing on the next season's make-up. My point is it doesn't need to have a point, it's currently a glorified friendly, just like the Pro Bowl.

Having the FA Cup winners face off against the league champions that have already qualified for the CL and have nothing to gain from the game, and so having a game where it means everything for one team and nothing for the other, is totally wrong. You'd have one team wanting to win, and the other not giving a toss. The more I think about it, it's a terrible idea.
Old 11.04.2014, 02:19 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm talking about the current format of the Comm Shield; it currently has no bearing on the next season's make-up. My point is it doesn't need to have a point, it's currently a glorified friendly, just like the Pro Bowl.

Having the FA Cup winners face off against the league champions that have already qualified for the CL and have nothing to gain from the game, and so having a game where it means everything for one team and nothing for the other, is totally wrong. You'd have one team wanting to win, and the other not giving a toss. The more I think about it, it's a terrible idea.
Both teams would want to win because the winner goes into the Champions League and the loser goes into the Europa League
Old 11.04.2014, 02:24 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Both teams would want to win because the winner goes into the Champions League and the loser goes into the Europa League
So you're suggesting that the title winner could lose their cl spot because of a comm shield game?
Old 11.04.2014, 02:30 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
So you're suggesting that the title winner could lose their cl spot because of a comm shield game?
Did you even read the original post?

Someone in the FA wants to revamp the FA Cup to make it more important, an idea was floated out that the Community Shield is essentially scraped and replaced with a game between the 4th placed team (Final Champs League Spot) and the FA Cup winners, the winners of this game go into the Champions League whereas the losers take the Europa League place.
Old 11.04.2014, 03:05 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Did you even read the original post?

Someone in the FA wants to revamp the FA Cup to make it more important, an idea was floated out that the Community Shield is essentially scraped and replaced with a game between the 4th placed team (Final Champs League Spot) and the FA Cup winners, the winners of this game go into the Champions League whereas the losers take the Europa League place.
I like that idea. It gives a bigger incentive to win the Cup and offers a win/win scenario in the 'play off' game for the FA Cup winners. For the 3rd/4th placed league team it intensifies the title run in as you'd want 3rd place to guarantee a shot at the CL group stage. Would probably make the CL/Europa 'play off' game that replaced the Comm. Shield better viewing too.