........Dallas Cowboys thread - Page 101 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 07.01.2008, 11:56 PM
All Pro

Default Re:........Dallas Cowboys thread

[quote author=BillBates link=board=1;threadid=7996;start=990#msg821140 date=1199732277]
I think this is the worst possible opponent for us.

The Cowboys stopped playing after they beat the Packers, and playing at home against a team we have already beaten twice this season isn't going to do an awful lot to quell the complacency.

If TO isn't up to full speed then I can see this being a very long night.

[/quote]
agreed we need TO back, he opens the pass up to witten and crayton, which then opens up the run to barber.
The defence putting double coverage on TO just gives the receivers the time to get free and Romo the chance to do what he does best.
Old 08.01.2008, 01:12 PM
Pro

The news on T.O. still seems to be mixed but it seems to be edging towards him playing some kind of role. What is certain is that he won't be 100% but after the season he has had and the fact that he hasn't been out for a ridiculously long period of time hopefully he will still be able to contribute something positive. At the very least he should bring some degree of fear factor which will open things up as adeace described.

Romo hasn't been at his very best for a couple of games but hopefully the rest will have done him some good and finally wiped out the doubts about his thumb. Fingers crossed that he is firing on all cylinders come Sunday...

My general feeling is that a continued good run is better than a rest but with the slight lull that the Cowboys had and the couple of injury doubts, maybe it came at the right time. And we have home field advantage... All things considered I can't wait for the game; in the meantime, fingers crossed for T.O. and a top class performance from Romo.
Old 08.01.2008, 01:25 PM
All Pro

Wade seems to think that if TO plays a full game he will be out of action for the next round, question is with out him will there be a next round?

I would think he will play some role but cant see him drawing double coverage for very long if his ankle wont let him cut.
Old 08.01.2008, 01:40 PM

I say get him suited, and only use him if need be. Simple as.
Old 08.01.2008, 02:08 PM
All Pro

Heres one possible way of getting something out of Owens if he is not 100%:

Split series with Glenn (who is rusty even if he is now 100%)

I would rather have TO for 50% of the snaps and Glenn for the other 50%, than no TO and a not-totally-game-fit Glenn.

Garrett can mix up the formations and personnels, maybe even put both TO and Glenn in for, say, 30% of the snaps. Put TO in motion, start him in the backfield, put Jones out as a receiver, with Barber in the backfield, whatever. Use every formation and play in the book. Gotta stay a step ahead of Steve Spagnuolo's D.

Stick in Crayton, Hurd and Witten with TO and Glenn and go 5 wide (Witten works very well in the slot IMO). Gints won't dare rush any more than 5 defenders if they have to cover those 5 guys. You can't go one on one with either TO or Glenn and expect to win every battle, so one (if not both of them) will draw double coverage. Gnits might end up using a LB to cover someone.......?

Dallas can't allow the Gnats to put 7 or 8 in the box. They have to be playing nickel or dime 75% of the time for us to win this one.

I say we use the pass to open up the run! MJ III can then have a field day. ;D

God I want Dallas to win this game so bad that I'm gonna be sick if we blow it (again - still can't erase that darn Seattle game from my mind and NFL Network keeps bringing it back up! Grrrr! >).
Old 08.01.2008, 02:24 PM
Pro

[quote author=South London Sooner link=board=1;threadid=7996;start=990#msg821599 date=1199798707]
Wade seems to think that if TO plays a full game he will be out of action for the next round, question is with out him will there be a next round?[/quote]

That was pretty much what I was thinking when I watched Wade's interview on the Cowboys website last night. If we start thinking about the next game too much at this stage we are in trouble - the Giants have been playing some good football.

Ed Hercules is right - it will be all about finding the best way of throwing everything that we have at them. Glenn and T.O. will both be compromised to some degree but hopefully a smart gameplan will see us through.
Old 08.01.2008, 06:48 PM
Team Captain

One bright spot is that we have a good record after a bye week.

I'm sure I read somewhere that we have something like a 14-4 record after a bye week.

Let's hope that we can add another W to that.

As for TO, unless it's going to cause a long term problem, I can't see much point saving him for the next round, 'cause without him we might not make it.
Old 09.01.2008, 01:55 PM
All Pro

True.

Whats the point in resting probably your best player in the hope that you'll get to the next round, then you can "risk" him.

Its all about winning the game immediately in front of you.

Owens should play unless he can't run at all, which I doubt is the case. WP is being cagey with the media for an obvious reason - he doesn't want the Giants to see his hand until he lays it on the table at game time.

TO and Glenn on the field at the same time, my mouth is beginning to water! ;D

However, I'm a bit annoyed that this game is the late one on Sunday. While marginally better than it being the 1am kickoff on Saturday night/Sunday morning, it still means that I'll be yawning come 9am Monday. Typical though, Pats get the prime time game Saturday night (no doubt with Al and John commentating - the dynamic duo! ;D)

Anyone know what Network the game is on? Not FOX again, surely, with Buck and Aikman? Those guys have called too many Cowboys game this year and I'm convinced they're becoming our unlucky comms!
Old 09.01.2008, 01:56 PM

Its Joe and Troy.

As much as Buck is a bit odd, they're arguably the best as a combo.
Old 17.01.2008, 07:55 PM
Team Captain

So, now that the seasons over (well it us for us anyway) one things for sure, we need a new RB.

I'm sure that JJ won't be back, he just doesn't suit a two back system. He needs a lot of carries to get up a decent head of steam, and that just isn't going to happen with MBIII about.

As for MBIII, I know it was only one game, but he had a serious drop off in production in the second half, could mean that his running style means that more than 20 carries a game are too much for him.

Looking at his season stats, from the NFL site he wasn't great when over used.

Attempts Att Yds Avg Lng TD 1st
Attempts 1-
Through-10 155 757 4.9 37 8 39
Attempts 11-
Through-20 67 326 4.9 54 3 15
Attempts 21-
Through-30 9 21 2.3 11 0 1

That being the case who do we look at as our number 2 back for next season.
Do we go for a veteran in FA, or so we look to the draft.

The secondary is in need of some attention, do we have the Cap room to bring in a top DB?, will we lose Hamlin?, I've even seen mention on the web of a possibilty of Chad Johnson.

All in all it's going to be an interesting (albeit too long) off season.

PS Rumour has it there are still other games to be played this season, is that true