All Pro

Thumbs up "Our Sick D#" !!!!

Our Sick D# !

Man this has me excited for the season....thoughts and opinions please
Old 28.08.2009, 05:07 PM
Starter

Ah now this I can get into!

This years Redskins D# recipe:
Take last years no. 4 defence whose weaknesses were collapsing the pocket and interceptions.
Add the best DT in the league, and sign up DeAngelo Hall for the whole season (not just the last handful of games) to a team he's always wanted to play on.
Then draft the toughest looking DE in the first round, and find out that he's pretty much NFL ready from the go.
Bring back Philip Daniels looking better than ever after his injury and keep the studs of last year including Landry, Horton, Carter and Fletcher.
Throw on plenty of media hate to put them all in a bad mood.. and release onto the field!

So how do they taste?
Ignoring what happened once the starters left the field, they held the rather good Ravens to 3-0, including 6 downs inside the 10.. oh and that was without Haynesworth or Rogers.
Again, when anyone significant was playing, they held the Super Bowl champ Steelers to 7-3, just giving up the 1 TD in 25 minutes which arguably wouldn't have happened if Hall hadn't got a little bit overexcited and dropped his shoulder into a receiver rather than just running into him upright. Also did you see the angry look on Big Albert's face when they gave up the TD.. in a pre-season game.. is he just in it for the money? I don't think so.

Now it's still a little sour.. for some reason our DB's don't seem as good as last year, giving up some big plays especially on 3rd down. Landry looks a little bit "off" and he needs to let the Pro-bowler that's raging inside of him out onto the field this year.
I'm impressed with how quickly Orakpo has taken up the SLB position, but it's still a little shakey when he's in coverage. However, considering he's a rookie at a position he's never played before.. he's outstanding, and just having him on the field and showing blitz (or not showing blitz a little too much so you know he's going to, and then he doesn't!) is going to cause plenty of headaches for opposing offensive coaches.
On top of this, and depsite the pressure, between them they still have no interceptions and a lot of "almost" sacks.

Tonight is a BIG test of this little cook off.. the Patriots offense with a healthy Brady.
Now I'm a Skins fan, I know how things work for our team, so I'm typing all this and desperately trying to restrain the building excitement. I can see how good it looks, but in my heart which I'm denying it just all feels like it's going to go wrong somehow.
However, if the dish comes out of the oven tomorrow and it's piping hot and as sweet to the pallette as it's ingredients suggest.. you can find me in the town centre with a big board held high that says "Eat at Redskins Defense, best food in town!"
Old 28.08.2009, 08:40 PM
Pro

defence looks good, but the offence needs 2 step up. moss, portis and cooley are class but the o line and jason campbell need 2 click this year for us 2 stand a chance no good having a gr8 defence if the offence can't move the ball. fell that randle el, thomas and kelly need 2 be a bit more productive this year 2.
Old 29.08.2009, 11:12 AM
All Pro

Well, I'm not prepared to make any rash judgments on the D yet. Hall may have shown he's not a like-for-like replacement for Springs by being shown up by Moss last night, but Brady to Moss is going to work at least a few times every game, regardless of who's matched up to him. The line looks like it could be the best they've had in years, but the LB corp is still questionable - expect to see plenty of nickel formations and cobra packages during the season.

As with every year, look beyond the team on paper and the articles you read, wait and see what they do in the regular season.
Old 29.08.2009, 02:20 PM
All Pro

I think they may actually rank a little lower on the yardage rankings but I want more sacks and turnovers and I think we can get them. Orakpo looks like a good un but I do think he'll be a bit raw at times too. We have a few players like him in D-Hall and Landry who can make some big plays but some daft mistakes also. I'm excited about the D-line though, having Haynesworth there will be a real benefit, I think Carter gets more sacks and I don't think anyone appreciated how much we missed Daniels last year.

I have little doubt this unit will keep us competitive in a lot of games this year.
Old 29.08.2009, 02:25 PM
All Pro

I just wish we had a decent co-ordinator to get the best out of everyone.
Old 30.08.2009, 09:35 PM
Pro

if the skins defence can play as well as the skins defence on madden nfl then it could be a gr8 season. ranked match against the vikings. redskins 17-3 vikings. 4 interceptions and several sacks for haynesworth, daniels and carter. could have been more but made a few wrong choices on offence.
Old 30.08.2009, 11:26 PM
All Pro

I am still baffeled at how we were able to finish 4th in defense, especially with little help from the offense in a lot of weeks. I think we massively overachieved to finish 4th with the talent we had. I think all the improvements we made will keep is in the top 6 or 7, but I am not sure we will be cracking the top 3 or anything.

We still don't seem to have the best of hands in the secondary, nor DEs that can win 1 on 1 battles on anything near a consistent enough basis. So I think our sack and int numbers will only improve slightly.
Old 30.08.2009, 11:27 PM
All Pro

It's ranked on yardage which is BS really.
Old 30.08.2009, 11:42 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman84 View Post
It's ranked on yardage which is BS really.
why is that? If the offense keeps fumbling in their own half, and the D keeps holding their opponent to no yards, they would still give up points

If I was to pick the three areas I wanted my D to be the best at it would be takeaways, 3rd down conversion %, and least # of plays over 20+ yards