"Our Sick D#" !!!! - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Washington Redskins

Old 31.08.2009, 10:00 AM

Much as I love him to bits (former Longhorn) I think Orakpo is a year or two away. He needs a lot of work. He got by in college on sheer raw athletic genetical physical freakery (you get the picture!) against inferior athletes without his speed and that he could bitchslap around. The NFL will be a tough challenge for him.
Old 31.08.2009, 01:05 PM
All Pro

Here's a nice article about 'Our sick D' - based on Fletcher's hit on Maroney Friday night.

http://www.homermcfanboy.com/2009/08...her-hits-hard/

The prize for top quote has to go to Landry, lol!
Old 02.09.2009, 11:18 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarloPaul View Post
Much as I love him to bits (former Longhorn) I think Orakpo is a year or two away. He needs a lot of work. He got by in college on sheer raw athletic genetical physical freakery (you get the picture!) against inferior athletes without his speed and that he could bitchslap around. The NFL will be a tough challenge for him.

I kind of agree Paul. I expect you'll see some superb big plays from him but he'll also get himself into trouble with his rawness at times. I hope he plays as much as possible though and I'll accept the rough with the smooth as long as he takes the lessons and learns from them.
Old 03.09.2009, 08:39 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTerp View Post
I am still baffeled at how we were able to finish 4th in defense, especially with little help from the offense in a lot of weeks. I think we massively overachieved to finish 4th with the talent we had. I think all the improvements we made will keep is in the top 6 or 7, but I am not sure we will be cracking the top 3 or anything.

We still don't seem to have the best of hands in the secondary, nor DEs that can win 1 on 1 battles on anything near a consistent enough basis. So I think our sack and int numbers will only improve slightly.
Totally agree on the overachievement comment.

I have concerns with the D-line although Haynesworth was a great signing. For me they are the key to our defense performance this season - if we lose the LOS we will have problems. Carter can get rag dolled when teams run at him which is what any OC worth this salt would do.
Old 04.09.2009, 12:59 PM
All Pro

To be fair to Carter I do think he's improved as a run defender. He's not Phillip Daniels but anyone remember the stop on Westbrook against Philly last year?
Old 04.09.2009, 06:57 PM
Pro Bowler

He weighs 250lbs

He is outgunned by 70lbs or so on each run down and loses at the POA a large proportion of the time
Old 05.09.2009, 03:03 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan Off.Tackle View Post
He weighs 250lbs

He is outgunned by 70lbs or so on each run down and loses at the POA a large proportion of the time

Technique is as important as weight. His first year I completely agree, I remember Tiki Barber's last game when they ran at him all night but he has definitely improved although at the same time, I was never trying to play it off as a strength in his game.

Carter is someone I'd like to see moved around a bit more as a pass rusher, let him test out both tackles and see who he can get the better of off the edge.
Old 05.09.2009, 07:35 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman84 View Post
Technique is as important as weight. His first year I completely agree, I remember Tiki Barber's last game when they ran at him all night but he has definitely improved although at the same time, I was never trying to play it off as a strength in his game.

Carter is someone I'd like to see moved around a bit more as a pass rusher, let him test out both tackles and see who he can get the better of off the edge.
You can pretty much guarantee a starting tackle will have pretty good technique at this level dude - 95% of the time a good big man will always beat a good little man

Different story in the pass game but 70lbs difference on a run play with similar tech is a WORLD of difference - any tackle or end will confirm that