Skins - Giants - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Washington Redskins

Old 13.09.2009, 09:24 PM
Starter

Default Skins - Giants

just watching it and all i can say is oh dear.
defense is fine imo,but offense....

update....apologise i didnt see the official thread for the game.

Last edited by HX REDSKINS; 13.09.2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 14.09.2009, 12:21 PM
All Pro

Could use this thread for dissecting the game though. Quite frankly, I found large periods of last night frankly embarassing. Here's my take on things:

Negatives

Insipid play calling on offense: I suspect that at half-time the Giants D Co-ordinator gave the following strategy talk - "1st down - play the run. 2nd down - play the run. 3rd down - play the pass. I'm off to watch the game in the bar on big screen. If it gets more complicated than that, I'll call in. If not, see you there for the postgame celebration". Seriously, there was no acceptable reason for not abandoning the run and going to the air earlier in the game. Barring Portis' first run, it didn't work and the Giant's D must've been salivating because it was all so predictable. If the run doesn't work, use the pass to set it up. Following Hall's int return, I screamed at the TV when they went to the run - you can't waste oportunities like that!

Coverage in the secondary: The Giants took advantage several times of the 7-10 yard cushion afforded by the Redskins db, good for several yards a pop, or a 30-yard TD in the case of Mario Manningham. Hall was pretty lousy, that interception being due to a stellar effort by Landry to get there in time to prevent yet another reception in space. Rogers was the best player, mainly because I don't think he got tested too often. It could be argued that this will work better when the D-line gets more pressure and kudos to the Giants' O-Line, they were good all game. But when the receivers are an unknown quantity, why give them a huge cushion - play physical, aggresive, don't allow them to settle into the soft spots in zones and convert third and longs all the time.

JC's awareness: Two turnovers that were exclusively JC's fault. The fumble could've been avoided if he'd stepped up in the pocket (Chris Samuels would have done well not to get done for holding had JC had gotten the pass off). I felt the O-line played pass protection reasonably well (run blocking was lacking, though) given the quality of the guys they were blocking. Likewise on the interception - whilst Moss could've done more, he shouldn't be throwing 3 yards in front of the line of scrimmage - he'd have gained about 5 yards had he stepped out. Finally, was the Giant's coverage that good that when he did have time, Campbell couldn't find somebody open?

Names that we'd hoped to hear called more often: Haynesworth (although credit him for some good plays, especially the goal line stand), Orakpo (where was he?), Moss (I knew he was going to do a disappering act shortly after breaking into fisticuffs), Kelly (I thought he was stepping up to be our #2 WR?), Davis (see Kelly).

Positives

Best offseason acquisition: Hunter the punter. Wouldn't have expected him to put up the first points of the new season, but take them how they come.

Randle El: Despite the boneheaded mistake of not throwing the ball away and losing 10 yards instead, he was fairly effective on 3rd down and the only WR that stepped up.

Cooley: See Randle El. Didn't observe him blocking, but I think he played smart all game.

London Fletcher: Didn't he make nearly every tackle.

Restrictive D: Only gave up 16 points. Probably would've been worse if the Giants had real receivers (they were allowed to look better than they are). Lose points for allowing the TD, but gain them for that goalline stand. See above regarding pass coverage, though.

Best play by a 2nd round pick from last year: Fred Davis' block on the fake FG. Honourable mention to Malcolm Kelly for picking up a first down. That's about it, though.

There has to be a dramatic turnaround in the playcalling on both sides of the ball and a general improvement in discipline if this team are going to turn their season around. I'm not sounding the alarm yet - the giants are a good team and beating them at home will always be a challenge. Right now, though, I see much of the same as last year and that's not good. If it stays this way, it won't be Zorn who has the opportunity to get production out of the talent on this team in 2010, and it won't be JC leading them.
Old 14.09.2009, 12:24 PM
Starter

We can still use this thread for a post game Skins only breakdown...

...ugh, what a horrible game to watch!

Good stuff:
Horton still flys around wherever the ball is
The D line did well against probably the no. 1 pass defending O line in the league
Fletcher hasn't lost a step and is still flattening people
ARE is a great slot receiver - as we always knew
Cooley still looks great and I even saw him competantly blocking once or twice
Seeing the strength of the Giants rush D the O line did well also
Hunter Smith ROCKS! Great punting and that fake FG was so sweetly done
2 turnovers

Bad stuff:
Worst thing of all first - the play calling! Run, run, pass.. repeat! Every play as vanilla as the previous one. The Giants suited up 3 CB's.. 3! In total! How many 4 or 5 WR sets did we see.. none?
Campbell - just some horrible decision making, not stepping up in the pocket to give up the fumble/TD was dreadful. You know Osi's gonna be coming, give Samuels some help that if he directs him to the back of the pocket, you step forward into the space, not stand back there waiting for Moss to stop punching people! He just seemed to have no grasp on the game at all, clock management was all over, just nasty. I'm no Campbell hater, but yesterday I was disappointed in what I saw after all we'd heard about improvements from last year.
Speaking of Moss.. what was up with him yesterday?! He seemed totally unlike his normal self.
Landry - Mr #30, PLEASE stop trying to get on highlight reels every play and JUST MAKE THE DAMN TACKLE! Very tired of seeing an opposing play with the ball and a white flash zoom past in the background before the carrier makes another 10 yards. There are times for crushing people, but that's not EVERY time.
3rd downs.. GOT to stop people on 3rd downs, especially 3rd and longs.
On saying that, it's got to be pretty heartbreaking for the D# when they give the offense the ball at the 23 and they can only walk away with 3 points.
Stupid penalties.. late hits, fights, just grow up and play the game. Enough with the petty revenge for last year. Get your own back by BEATING THEM!

Overall I'm disappointed. What looked good on paper turned out to the be the same ol' same ol'.
I think I'm more annoyed that if we'd cut out even 50% of the just plain dumb stuff, we could have won. Getting blown out is one thing, but throwing away a win against the Giants is infuriating.

/rant

Ok, got it out of my system!

Roll on week 2.... GO SKINS!

Last edited by badkarma; 14.09.2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 14.09.2009, 01:04 PM
All Pro

SNAP! And posted within 3 mins of each other.... Spooky!
Old 14.09.2009, 02:30 PM
All Pro

How the hell is Blache still in a job? Hes still doing the same crap as last year and wasting most of the talent on this D.

We have the players to make a run for the playoffs but the playcalling on both sides of the ball is holding us back.
Old 14.09.2009, 03:16 PM
Rookie

I must agree with all that has been written above. I also think that this could be Zorn and Campbell's last season with the Skins If we don't make the playoffs.
Old 14.09.2009, 04:03 PM
Pro Bowler

When will the penny drop with D Hall, His ball hawking skills are top notch
but everything else is average at best.
Old 14.09.2009, 07:52 PM
Team Captain

Just when I think the Skins can't be as bad as in recent seasons....there worse!!!
Old 15.09.2009, 03:02 PM
Rookie

This game was really a big let down for me considering it was a season opener. Also found it very difficult to come away with many positives in any area of the field, although found Hunter Smith running in for the td slightly amusing. Jason Campbell appeared to be drained of confidence and the offence generally lacked any spark with the odd pass to Randle El and the late td pass to Chris Cooley.

For me I have concerns about Campbells ability now considering he has 5 years experience in the nfl, but what concerns me slightly more at this minute is frequency that Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly and Fred Davis have been used to date. Obviously the season is still in it's very early stages but these guys had a very limit chance last season (stat mentioned sunday night was 3 receptions each for both Kelly and Davis). This is a season where these guys need to step up and support the likes of Moss and Randle El, whom are both in the later stages of their career.

Hopefully things will be much different next week against the Rams and the following week against the Lions.
Old 16.09.2009, 01:58 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain_26 View Post
This game was really a big let down for me considering it was a season opener. Also found it very difficult to come away with many positives in any area of the field, although found Hunter Smith running in for the td slightly amusing. Jason Campbell appeared to be drained of confidence and the offence generally lacked any spark with the odd pass to Randle El and the late td pass to Chris Cooley.

For me I have concerns about Campbells ability now considering he has 5 years experience in the nfl, but what concerns me slightly more at this minute is frequency that Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly and Fred Davis have been used to date. Obviously the season is still in it's very early stages but these guys had a very limit chance last season (stat mentioned sunday night was 3 receptions each for both Kelly and Davis). This is a season where these guys need to step up and support the likes of Moss and Randle El, whom are both in the later stages of their career.

Hopefully things will be much different next week against the Rams and the following week against the Lions.
Great point on the second year players, Just look at the Titans with Kenny Britt,
Meacham at the Saints in what is effectivley his second year and Manningham on
sunday, The only reason I can think we are not progressing is because our QB
does not have the game to open up more of the playbook hence we are still the most
run first offence in the league.