A new low - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Washington Redskins

Old 27.09.2009, 11:34 PM
All Pro

Default A new low

It's going to be a long season. The rest of the NFC East must be licking their chops at the thought of playing the Redskins after the debacles of the last two weeks.

That was as gutless a performance as I can remember. The Lions played hard, credit to them for that but this is one Zorn had to win.
Old 28.09.2009, 10:38 AM
All Pro

Surely now Snyder can see that the coaches just aren't up to the job?

I'm sure nothing will be done before the end of the season though and we will struggle to win 5 games this year.
Old 28.09.2009, 10:45 AM
Starter

agreed,its not just zorn..its most if not all our coaches.for far too long its been jobs for the boys.we need a fresh start from top to bottom,older players too need shipping out and lets get some young hungry players in.
easier said than done i know,but you have to dream.
Old 28.09.2009, 11:04 AM
All Pro

That last play of the game was haunting. Whoever made the decision not to throw to the endzone should be shot. Inept. Woeful. Disgraceful. All those words some up our performances at the moment. We need a FRESH START as noted above. This can't continue. Livid. Snyder won't put up with this surely.
Old 28.09.2009, 11:17 AM
All Pro

Meh, s**t happens. It's undoubtedly embarrassing, but bear in mind that the Skins lost to the 0-2 2009 Detroit Lions, not the 0-16 2008 Detroit Lions. Whilst the 19-game losing streak makes for great media headlines, they are a team that has gone a major overhaul, necessitated by arguably the second lowest low of all time in the NFL. It is likely that the Lions are going to get better over the season, win a few games more (they won't be 1-15, but will they win more than 5 games?)

Barring a dramatic turnaround, what the Redskins need is a spectacular organisational enema in the offseason to flush out the deep-rooted institutional incompetence. To start, Dan Snyder needs to take accountability for the team's performance in the last 10 years. If an uncapped 2010 gives the team the gift of being able to shift overpaid dead weight without having to take the cap blow then all the better, but it'll likely take a new sheriff in town to keep Snyder straight. However, if the results of this season merely lead to another big-name coach, the retention of vinny and a new set of overpaid free agents, then this "new low" may become a common theme.

Addendum: It's not much, but at least we can laugh at the fans of teams the Redskins do beat this season - Ha ha! your team's so crap they couldn't beat the team that couldn't beat the Detroit Lions!
Old 28.09.2009, 12:10 PM
Team Captain

Default the long and winding road

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_friend_goo View Post
Meh, s**t happens. It's undoubtedly embarrassing, but bear in mind that the Skins lost to the 0-2 2009 Detroit Lions, not the 0-16 2008 Detroit Lions. Whilst the 19-game losing streak makes for great media headlines, they are a team that has gone a major overhaul, necessitated by arguably the second lowest low of all time in the NFL. ........
it crossed my mind too watching it last night on the laptop. To think of it as playing a team that 'always loses' misses the point that the last couple of games showed a Lions team that was hanging in over 60 minutes. Losing yes, but with signs of life and progress.

I think we threw one pass at the end zone on the last drive the rest was the usual underneath stuff which is hard to fathom given we had no time outs and the clock under 60 seconds. There are so many things wrong its almost impossible to say where to start.

I dont think I can cope with any more comments here or on ES about how Kelly etc are really going to come through this season at WR (they arent, they are basically no more than average receivers); our D is going to be unplayable apparently (quite clearly total bullsh*t); Haynesworth cant play 60 minutes. We paid huge sums for a huge man that cant go the distance. I cant forget the drive in the first game against the Giants where they dominated so much in the opening two quarters that Haynesworth couldnt stand up any more. Totally unacceptable.

QB - Campbell is 'OK' but that is it. There is not one thing that inspires me about that man. Zero. The look on the sidelines from the team, the look on the face of Zorn as if sometimes he isnt quite understanding what is happening......ground hog day for the last 15+ years.
Old 28.09.2009, 12:32 PM
All Pro

Right, I've had a night to let the performance digest, and here are the positives in my mind:

Campbell - I think he looked solid, apart from the fumbilitis that he developed! He was taking some shots down field and I thought he did look better than last week. Not spectacular, but an improvement.

Moss - Was good to see him have a big game! We need those kind of performances from him.

Haynesworth - I know he got dinged up again, but came back in and got himself a sack.

Orakpo - Struggled making tackles in the open field again but looked good off the edge and got himself a sack as well.

Fletcher - Guy is a monster, end of.

Hunter Smith - At last when we punt I can take a break and grab another beer fairly safe in the knowledge nothing terrible will happen

After that I'm struggling. I know the offense is still struggling and Zorn's play calling is still questionable, but my BIG gripe at the minute is how ineffective our D has become! The Lions walked ALL OVER us in the first half. Stafford had all day to throw the ball, CB's playing WAY too far off for my liking. At the end of the day this all comes down to Blache. You can not question the talent on the D, but I'm really beginning to dislike the way Blache is running the D.

On the subject of the D, is Smoot actually capable of making an open field tackle? Did you see him get juked out of his shoes by Stafford on that fabled third-and-long?

Quick one for the offense, away from all the passing plays etc, what the heck has happened to our running game? Does anyone else think Portis' ankles are bothering him quite a bit, because at some points where I thought he would bounce is back and make a couple of yards, he just couldn't ... not encouraging!
Old 28.09.2009, 02:30 PM
Team Captain

Default the papers called it suicide, a bullet from a 45

I'd like to agree Steblin but if the best we can come up with regarding a QB that has been behind the ball for 2+ years now and all we can say is that he looked 'solid' then I reckon thats about all we get - on a good day. I think he has fumbled in all three games now (? not sure but certainly two) which is what he was doing the first time he took the field under Gibbs. He had what I thought was a bad INT and should have had another pick when he threw to a short out pattern that would have been returned for a TD.

As for his deep ball, oh he can throw it for miles but there is zero touch on it. Its like an elongated jump ball (a jump ball with Santana aint going to happen). I couldnt help comparing it with a perfectly flighted pass that split the Dolphins DB's by Rivers in the Chargers game later last night.

Haynesworth - the talk was he needed match practice to get his fitness levels up after which we would really see him perform. Well, three games in all we are talking about is how he is starting to look a bit dinged up! not nearly good enough.

No one deserves any positives out of this. This is supposed to be the 'soft' part of our season before the tough second half. Instead we have had a squeaker win against the Rams (GB scored 36 points on them, 'hawks 28 and closed them out to zip) and now lost to the Lions.
Old 28.09.2009, 02:45 PM
All Pro

Check my blog, said my piece there.
Old 28.09.2009, 04:26 PM
Pro Bowler

All is not lost at least Cerrato can work his magic with some high
picks next April!!!!!!!!!!