Big Red Thread (Cardinals) - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Arizona Cardinals

Old 15.06.2005, 04:57 PM
All Pro

Default Re:Big Red Thread (Cardinals)

I like the Cards this year. I think they have a chance of winning their division. They are a young team going places and are going to have a pretty fearsome pass rush which should help offset a slightly weak secondary. Rolle I think was the best CB in the draft and should be an excellent signing. The question mark is can the O line give Warner the protection he so clearly needs? Because if one of the QBs be it McCown or Warner steps up, then there are definelty the receivers to catch the ball.
Old 15.06.2005, 08:46 PM
All Pro

Lol, the Cards fan who's posted on the thread is the person who started it ;D

AZCardinal, aren't you the only Cards fan on the board (i mean who's made more that 10 or so posts)?
Old 15.06.2005, 08:53 PM
All Pro

i think AZ is a minority - the only other Cards fan that comes to mind is Red Rage
Old 16.06.2005, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

[quote author=Alstott40 link=board=1;threadid=11240;start=0#msg244742 date=1118868780]
i think AZ is a minority - the only other Cards fan that comes to mind is Red Rage
[/quote]

aye you are right there.....Red Rage is on here a fair bit, but other than that i can only think of one or two that have posted more than a handful of times!

wait until we start winning games and they will come, it will be like Tampa winning a SB or something
Old 16.06.2005, 12:13 PM
MVP

;D saw this on ESPN.com and thought it was funny.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2086779

Arizona Cardinals: Team vice president Michael Bidwill didn't have to make the tackle, but he was ready to do so when he helped Italian police nab a fleeing suspect.

Mark Dalton, Cardinals director of media relations, said Bidwill told him of last Thursday's incident in a telephone conversation.

A former federal prosecutor, Bidwill was talking on his cell phone outside his hotel in Milan when he heard sirens, then saw police, with their guns drawn, chasing a man down the street, Dalton said.

Bidwill, son of Cardinals owner Bill Bidwill, went into a linebacker's stance to try to tackle the suspect. At that point, the man threw up his hands and surrendered, Bidwill told Dalton.

Bidwill was en route from NFL meetings in Detroit on Tuesday and unavailable to comment on the incident.

Old 19.07.2005, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

USA article.....

Inside Slant
It's still the time of year in which the Cardinals are doing more off the field than on it, and they continue to buff their tarnished image locally and morph from a mom-and-pop business that seemed stuck in the '50s into a cutting-edge, high-tech enterprise.
They hope it results in more fan interest.

They've been at or near the bottom of the NFL in attendance for 15 years. They blame aging Sun Devil Stadium, where in 2005 they are scheduled to play their final season. The college facility at Arizona State University might be fine on Saturday night for a bunch of drunken frat boys, but in the heat and glare of Sunday afternoon, with no chair backs, the aluminum bleachers are anything but fan-friendly.

The array of concessions also is reminiscent of a frat party. And the restrooms - most fans, even though attendance was low, could have run across the street, pottied at a frat house, and scurried back into the stadium faster than they could get in and out of the inadequate facilities there.

So the new Cardinals Stadium - its working name now, the team holds naming rights and seeks a corporate sponsor - will have every electronic gizmo known to man.

It will have not only a retractable roof but also a retractable field. One end of the facility opens and a natural-grass playing field will be slid in. The remainder of the week it will be slid outside to receive sunlight and water.

So the team is working hard to goose its image in the community, upgrade its playing roster to provide a better product that this season begins playing in spiffy redesigned uniforms, and make serious hobnobbing overtures to the affluent public.

They have scheduled a "fly-in" day at training camp in Flagstaff for fans that own aircraft. That's a bit of an upgrade from their annual motorcycle caravan to Flagstaff, which was popular with the biking football fan for years.

Now, they have unveiled their mockup of their new stadium "lofts,' not suites, at the Tempe training facility.

Team vice president and general counsel Michael Bidwill, who acknowledges he is driven to improve not only the image and reputation of the team but also his family name, hosted potential clients this week at the unveiling for current suite holders and corporate sponsors.

"This is a significant step in getting ready for the opening of the new stadium," Bidwill said. "We wanted to do something special from a design standpoint, and break the standard of what has been done in the NFL and in other professional sports in the United States, and I think we have achieved that."

Among the design elements are three flat-screen televisions mounted on the sidewall.

"The one thing we wanted to do was have our fans come early to the stadium, and to their lofts to watch the early games," Bidwill said. "We decided to put the televisions on the side wall so people won't be blocking them and you won't have to turn all the way around to see them. As a fan I know that is what I like to do when I am in other stadiums and I think our fans are really going to enjoy that feature."

CAMP CALENDAR: The Cardinals report to training camp at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff on Sunday, July 31. The opening workout is Monday, Aug. 1, at 8:45 a.m. They leave Flagstaff on Thursday, Aug. 18, and stop in Prescott, Ariz., for an additional three-day mini-training camp (Aug. 22-24) before returning to the triple-digit desert-floor heat to complete preseason preparation on Monday, Aug. 29.

There is no intra-squad scrimmage this year. The team canceled it because too many key players were being injured on the Northern Arizona University Walkup Skydome's artificial surface (starting RB Marcel Shipp suffered a season-ending injury in the scrimmage last season).

NOTES, QUOTES

—LB Leon Joe faces a preliminary hearing Tuesday in Washington, D.C., following his arrest June 30 on suspicion of carrying a pistol without a license. He could face as long as five years in prison.

Joe is expected to be a backup and a special teams player for the Cardinals.

—The Cardinals are set to be the "home" team in the first-ever regular-season NFL game played in Mexico when they move a home with San Francisco to Mexico City on Oct. 2.

It's the league's first international-venue regular season game. The Sunday night game will be televised in the U.S. on ESPN and in Mexico on Televisa.

And already the Cardinals are cultivating the Mexican people to become fans not only of futbol but also football.

QB Kurt Warner, G Rolando Cantu, a Mexican national, head to Mexico next week (Monday-Wednesday, July 18-20) for three kids' clinics, and visitations to an orphanage and a children's hospital, all in Obregon, Sonora.

Cantu, who was on the Cardinals practice-squad roster last season as a member of the league's international player-development initiative, conducted a clinic in Monterrey with several teammates last spring.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "Live for today because you are not promised tomorrow." - Cardinals FS Ifeanyi Ohalete, whose philosophy on life also applies to his football career, where he will be engaged in one of the battles of training camp with Quentin Harris and Robert Griffith.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

UNIT-BY-UNIT ANALYSIS

QUARTERBACK: Starter - Kurt Warner. Backups - Josh McCown, John Navarre, Tim Chang.

RUNNING BACKS: Starters - RB J.J. Arrington, FB Obafemi Ayanbadejo. Backups - RB Marcel Shipp, RB Josh Scobey, RB Troy Hambrick, RB Larry Croom, RB Damien Anderson, FB James Hodgins, FB Casey Moore, RB Roger Robinson, FB Harold Morrow.

WIDE RECEIVERS: Starters - Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Bryant Johnson. Backups - Reggie Newhouse, LeRon McCoy, Carlyle Holiday, Dan Sheldon, Fabian Davis, Charles Lee, Lawrence Hamilton, Luke Powell.

OFFENSIVE LINE: Starters - LT Leonard Davis LG Reggie Wells, C Alex Stepanovich, RG Elton Brown, RT Oliver Ross. Backups - G Jeremy Bridges, G-T Fred Wakefield, C Nick Leckey, T Jim Newton, T Adam Haayer, T Alan Reuber, G Rolando Cantu, T Ian Allen.

DEFENSIVE LINE: Starters - LE Chike Okeafor, LT Russell Davis RT Darnell Dockett, RE Bertrand Berry. Backups - T Kenny King, E Peppi Zellner, E Antonio Smith, T Ross Kolodziej, T Wendell Bryant, E Calvin Pace, T Tim Bulman, E Tyler King.

LINEBACKERS: Starters - OLB Karlos Dansby, MLB Gerald Hayes, OLB Orlando Huff. Backups - James Darling, OLB Darryl Blackstone, MLB Lance Mitchell, Leon Joe, MLB Isaac Key, OLB Greg Carothers, OLB Isaiah Ekejiuba.

DEFENSIVE BACKS: Starters - CB Antrel Rolle, CB David Macklin, SS Adrian Wilson, FS Quentin Harris. Backups - CB Eric Green, S Ifeanyi Ohalete, S Robert Griffith, CB Robert Tate, S Adrian Mayes, S Ernest Shazor, CB Clarence Curry, CB Rhett Nelson, CB Jermaine Hardy, CB Lamont Reid, CB Aaron Francisco, CB Raymond Walls.

SPECIAL TEAMS: K Neil Rackers, P Scott Player, LS Nathan Hodell, KR Josh Scobey, PR LeRon McCoy
Old 22.07.2005, 07:12 PM
Pro Bowler

Hey, I moved house and while BT messed me about I missed the Big Red thread!

FWIW I think we'll go 8-8 or 9-7, I hope we go 10-6 ;D
Old 22.07.2005, 11:03 PM
All Pro

did they make any changes on the o-line?they were a mess last season
Old 23.07.2005, 01:31 AM
Pro Bowler

Ross at RT,
Elton Brown G selected in the draft.
Stepanovich will be in his 2nd year.

We won't be steller, but we'll be much improved.
Old 23.07.2005, 01:49 AM
All Pro

Interesting to see Arrington down as starter, I thought Green'd be more conservative.