Big Red Thread (Cardinals) - Page 45 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Arizona Cardinals

Old 31.03.2009, 07:55 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav View Post
Bump.

Do you see a Trade for Boldin then? how do you see the draft going?? Moreno??
Loads of signals coming out of Phoenix that it will be a running back in the first.
So I fully expect Mack or Unger to be chosen (Assuming Pettigrew has been taken).

I also see Edge still being a Cardinal next year, because none of the running backs in this years draft, and certainly the ones slated to be available at #31, are upgrades in any way.

Maybe in 2010 a running back will be taken, but I see them going for a sleeper late on the second day if they chose a RB at all.

Most of the experts have the Cards taking a RB. So they are buying the 'whispers'. I dont.

As for Boldin. The possibility is there. Breaston has emerged as a ligit #2. Fitz's numbers dont drop when Q isnt lining up alongside. And he is proving to be a pain. The Cards could pay him what he wants now. But what about next year? He signed a 4 year extension. Played one season, and started complaining. Whats to say he gets a contract he wants, and this time next year he is crying like a baby again?
The best thing about the situation is the Cards hold all the cards. Q has another 2 years to play, and can be franchised, so if he wants to play hardball, he's going to suffer the consequences.
If he is traded, I see the NFC East teams joining in, but still see a Miami, or a Detroit (Bills are out now I guess) as being the preferred trading partner as it takes Q out of the NFC.
Detroit has Dallas' 1st, 3rd and 5th....hmmm Very tempting.

Last edited by Northern Soul; 31.03.2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 31.03.2009, 11:37 AM
Pro Bowler

If Boldin isn't traded on draft day then I can't see him playing elsewhere next season.

I'd love us to draft Moreno, I really am keeping my fingers crossed that he slides like Mendenhall.
Old 01.04.2009, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
If Boldin isn't traded on draft day then I can't see him playing elsewhere next season.

I'd love us to draft Moreno, I really am keeping my fingers crossed that he slides like Mendenhall.

Cant see it happening (would mind it though). English seems most probable at the moment.
Old 06.04.2009, 10:36 AM
MVP

One of my niggling concerns going into the Superbowl, was how it could affect the roster.
Two months on, I think the FO have done a sterling job of retaining everybody.
Smith will be a loss, but there is youth to step in. Both guys have done pretty well. I was sorry to see him go, but nothing could really be done.
I am gutted about them letting JJ walk, but have plenty of hopes for the guy brought in to replace him.

Thats pretty much it. Green was upgraded. Massively upgraded. So offsetting that against the Smith situation, and it looks pretty much like the roster is pretty solid.

If Boldin goes, he goes because the Cards want him to. Not because he wants. And as long as they are firm in their asking price, his leaving should only strengthen by subtraction.

I'm very impressed with Graves this year. If the Cards have a solid draft, then they could again see the post season.
Yes the Cards were very lucky with injuries last year. And they will need that again. But Whiz has really loaded up the depth on the roster in the short time he has been HC. So covering the starters is a little more feasible now, than at any time I can remember.

Just a quick word on the Q to Miami media talk.
Rumours on the Cards site say Miami send Ronnie Brown and a 2nd rounder. That would mean that Edge will finally get out. Should the Cards not get a vet. I hope they keep Edge rather than risk drafting a RB.
We'd have a sophmore who once given the #1 in the depth chart, had one good game (against the Rams) and then struggled, a rookie, and a 3rd down guy. That isnt an upgrade. So Edge should be kept on if that looks likely to be the case IMO.
Old 06.04.2009, 05:25 PM
Pro Bowler

If the Phins trade Ronnie Brown for Q they are crazy; give up picks by all means, but don't trade one of your assets, that's no way to improve your team.
Old 17.04.2009, 01:25 PM
MVP

Tonight's (Friday in the UK) Total Access State Of The Franchise is the NFC Champs.
Old 18.04.2009, 08:35 AM
MVP

Well the discussion on the Cards was pretty useless.
Solly's idea is trade Boldin to draft a WR. WHAT. Trade a Probowler just to get an unproven kid? Madness.

He and Dukes both semed to think that the Cards have a need at WR. Has nobody told them that the Cards have Steve Breaston?

I had to rewind just to check that they really did know so little about the Cards that all they discussed was the need for a WR, and that they are sure the Cards are taking a running back at 31.
Grade F- guys.
Old 18.04.2009, 08:59 AM
All Pro

Just putting it out there. Couldn't Breston be a good eonugh number 2 WR.

Last edited by rg223; 18.04.2009 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Should have read your whloe piece. i skipped the middle bit.
Old 18.04.2009, 09:25 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Soul View Post
Well the discussion on the Cards was pretty useless.
Solly's idea is trade Boldin to draft a WR. WHAT. Trade a Probowler just to get an unproven kid? Madness.

He and Dukes both semed to think that the Cards have a need at WR. Has nobody told them that the Cards have Steve Breaston?

I had to rewind just to check that they really did know so little about the Cards that all they discussed was the need for a WR, and that they are sure the Cards are taking a running back at 31.
Grade F- guys.
Don't listen to Jamie Dukes. End of story!

I imagine that Arizona will do a very Steelers type thing - not reach, just go BPA when they get on the clock. Again, in a Steelers style, unless one of the OT's has dropped I expect ( as an outsider ) that you'll go defense.
Old 18.04.2009, 10:31 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteButt View Post
Don't listen to Jamie Dukes. End of story!

I imagine that Arizona will do a very Steelers type thing - not reach, just go BPA when they get on the clock. Again, in a Steelers style, unless one of the OT's has dropped I expect ( as an outsider ) that you'll go defense.
There is plenty of hope in Arizona that one of the linebackers or Des falls far enough. Someone like English.
So yes, its a decent bet that the Cards go D on the first day.

Edge is still under contract. If Q goes, that opens a decent cap amount, so unless the FO are sure they get a ready replacement, Edge remains the #1 back for his final year.

They could go for a centre if Mack or Unger are there. Sendelin improved, but there is a need for depth. So a Cantre would see time, but as a back up initially.

I want Pettigrew as the #1 need IMO is a blocking TE. Spach is a good stopgap for now, but the rest of the TEs are worse than useless.

The Cards are lucky that despite getting to the Superbowl, most of the starters are returning. Only Smith so far was lost. The rest were back ups that have left the roster. So I agree BPA is a cert for the Cards, and if thats on the D, all well and good. A stop on Pitts last drive, and it would be the 32 pick next weekend.