Draft Hopes - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 27.04.2011, 11:35 AM
Team Captain

Default Draft Hopes

I won't pretend that my college knowledge goes all that deep, so largely over to you guys for the deeper picks, but what are the hopes for this draft then? Be optimistic about players falling if you like, who will you be watching and hoping to see us pull the trigger on?

Assuming no trades, to keep it simple:

Pick 9 - OT Tyron Smith. I'd quite like to see us try to move up to 6, to get Peterson, but failing that, we just MUST get the o-line sorted. Just getting a big piece to slot in from a later round is not the answer, let's use a 1st Round pick on giving Tony as much protection as we can get him.

Pick 40 - S Rahim Moore. If Danny Watkins dropped to that spot, I wouldn't be adverse to taking a 2nd o-lineman, but realistically, I want some secondary help, and Rahim Moore would be a nice pick.

Pick 71 - DE Sam Acho. I have heard his name get thrown around a bit lately, so I'm not sure he'll still be there at this point, but he would be a nice addition, and is certainly a need.

Pick 110 - RB Jacquizz Rodgers. Yeah, I know, this is a bit of a reach, as we are ok at RB with Felix and Choice, but whenever I saw this guy get his hands on the ball in College, it excited me. Yes, he's small, yes, he looks like the college player who struggles to make the step up physically, but I can't deny he is exciting, and would offer that "something different" to our offense that I've felt we've lacked a bit lately. Just scheme a few plays that gets the ball in his hands, and see what he can do.

Beyond that though, my knowledge is very hazy, although, I'd quite like to see us pick up LB - Mark Herzlich in rounds 5 or 6.
Old 27.04.2011, 09:54 PM
All Pro

I do like Tyron Smith at 9 although part of me is starting to think if Fairley is there i would take him.

Love the idea of trading up if Vonn Miller or Peterson slip but i really cant see it.

Not sure if Rahim Moore represents good value at 40, i hope Aaron Williams is within reach if so id take him.

Its a very important draft for us and i hope JJ doesnt mess it up.
Old 28.04.2011, 04:07 PM
Team Captain

I can't see Von Miller slipping far, or us trading up the places it would take to get him.

However, Peterson could be a different story. I could see him falling to the 9ers at 7, therefore we would only have to trade up to 6 to get him. Here's my thoughts, on how it could happen ...

1. Panthers - Newton.
2. Broncos - Dareus
3. Bills - Von Miller
4. Bengals - AJ Green
5. Cardinals - Gabbert
6. That leaves the Browns wanting a WR, but Green has gone, leaving them Julio Jones, but if they don't take him at 6, I can't see anyone taking him until the Redskins at 10. So, if they are about to pull the trigger on Jones at 6, would they be tempted to move down to 9, and probably still get him there at less money?

As much as I like Tyron Smith (and I really do like him), I would definitely trade up to 6 for Peterson if the opportunity was there. Presumably, we would have to give up our 3rd Round pick to move up, so that would then leave us needing O-line at 40.

I have 7 O-linemen that I think could go first round, what would be the chances of one of them dropping to 40? Unlikely? Yeah probably, so the cost of taking Peterson is that the chances are we don't draft an O-line starter, as they are all gone by the time we are on the clock next. Is that worth is to get Peterson? Yes, I think it would be, but it would put pressure on us to get some O-line help whenever Free Agency eventually opens up again, unless Sam Young is ready to plug in there.

Or can I dream on us trading up for Peterson and we see Sherrod drop to us at 40?
Old 28.04.2011, 05:36 PM
All Pro

It seems that the Broncos, Bengals and Cardinals are looking to trade down... If we can get Peterson and it only costs us a 3rd to trade up, i hope we do it.
Old 29.04.2011, 12:50 AM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikman_is_god View Post
Its a very important draft for us and i hope JJ doesnt mess it up.
Thank god for a ten minute clock. JJ tried his best to ruin it.
Old 29.04.2011, 07:13 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh_Gaz View Post
Thank god for a ten minute clock. JJ tried his best to ruin it.
He did, our pick came in with 27s to spare . He must've been trying to trade out like mad.
Old 29.04.2011, 12:21 PM
All Pro

Who we thinking next guys?

I reckon we may have to move up if we want Aaron Williams although Rahim Moore should be there for us. Martez Wilson could also be the pick.
Old 29.04.2011, 10:14 PM
All Pro

There goes Williams.

Some nice stud D-linemen siiting there though.
Old 30.04.2011, 09:42 AM
All Pro

Well yeserdays picks left me scratching my head. Bruce Carter might represent good value but i think we had needs greater than that and there were still some great D-line talent sitting there. Hes coming off an ACL injury as well.

The Demarco Murray pick is stupid in my opinion, why draft an RB there? We had much greater needs imo. Waste of a pick!

*Edit* Murray does however come from a program that is known for producing stud backs and i think an off-season in the Cowboys strength program could take care of any injury concerns, just would've prefered some more OL or DL depth i suppose.

Last edited by Aikman_8; 30.04.2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 30.04.2011, 11:11 AM
All Pro

Carter by all accounts is going to be a beast when he's fit... Problem is they seem to think it will be a year before he's fully fit and therefore isn't going to help us a great deal next season.

I had the feeling we would take a RB in the 3rd or 4th but i don't like it... Can only think he was the highest player left on our board and that we will look to free agency to improve our secondary.